Audi s3 8l, the build

Charmz

Reaction score
so here's the thing, all around peoples say, nooo! don't build an s3 1.8t buy a s4 or a cheaper car with a bigger engine, but i don't think people get it, if you like the car you like it, i'm gonna take apart the car down to the bare chassi, remove suspension,brakes,engine. lights~ pretty much everything besides the chassi, even the interior anyway, im building up a audi s3 8l, feel free to comment or advise on the tour. so here we go...

IMG 0112 this is how it did look original
IMG 0080test fitting the new intercooler so gotta modify abit cause of the new front bumper, so a test fit..also fitting the new hood
IMG 0077 testing some bigger 18" new wheels
IMG 0082 my new front bumper is allmost fully built, i picked black parts

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 453
Last edited:
IMG 0179 the new steering wheel, feels great :D

IMG 0275 Throttle response Controller :D

IMG 0280 4 bar fuel pressure regulator
IMG 0277 440cc injectorsIMG 0276 new water pump

IMG 0272 KN Induction filter kitIMG 0283 3" race downpipe
IMG 0240 new smoked led blinkers/side lights

Attachments

• IMG_0285.JPG
    IMG_0285.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 373
Last edited:
IMG 0177 new relentless turbo manifold

IMG 0279 new Forge blow-off valve recirculation

Last edited:
IMG 0235 a new LCD Screen, since mine is busted

As you are after comments...

Bin the Forge Split-R DV as its rubbish

That front bumper? really? 8P bumpers on 8L's are a very personal thing I guess but generally just make the car look chavvy

4bar FPR and 440's? I can only assume you are looking to go hybrid K04 seeing as you have bought the relentless stuff... personally I would have got Bosch 550's rather than bosch greens and a 3 bar FPR as your pump will take a hit unless planning to replace it and or use an inline pump as well

That pedal box thing? waste of money IMO... throttle response can be changed in the map to suit and in all honesty most tuners make it linear as it is 'peppy' already in std tune and altering the response of the pedal generally makes drivability a mess depending how it goes... I certainly wouldn't want to be fitting a third party box between the throttle pedal and the ECU personally

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Nilz
thanks for comment tuffty, the 8p look. wont be as chavvy as you think, i allready prefitted the hood front bumper and rear bumper, it did look ok, as for the throttle responser, its only not to lose traction at winter, in norway we have pretty bad winters, and i know with a datasquirt, it can be controlled, but so far i only use a chipped ECU, and im going for a hybrid KO4 Yes, havent decided if its gonna be 440 or 550, the throttle box, is for when im having a bad day haha, even if i give full throttle the car will go linear, but not give the full amount of horsepowers, more slowly, one of the reasons i bought it, do you have any advice on what fuel.pump to buy?, im making the car one in the worlds, and for me its very personal, i got a costum made, bumper, hood, and back bumper, smoked front led lights, side lights, and back lights,

bought some new Wôssner Forged pistons
IMG_0329_zpsnsf1dgiv.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG 0096 removing engine first
IMG 0097
IMG 0100
IMG 0108 and its gone!
IMG 0106 obviously need's some new brakes x)
IMG 0136 starting to remove windows, doors, wires, interioIMG 0103s,
IMG 0113 IMG 0120 IMG 0117 gotta get it prepared for a new paint-job :D
IMG 0137 my new back-bumper
IMG 0174 New audi Black Metallic
IMG 0115
IMG 0121 gotta cut some here and there, fit the new led lights and bumper and the hood together,
IMG 0128
IMG 0138 IMG 0140 IMG 0170 IMG 0173
IMG 0171 IMG 0172
IMG 0183 IMG 0182 IMG 0181
IMG 0169 IMG 0168
IMG 0167 IMG 0180 more to come

A lot of work going on here... i have to admit I think the 8p bumper will look pants also, but each to their own ey!?

Why the Wossner pistons though? The standard pistons will be good for anything a hybrid can throw at it and more... If I were you I'd get rid of them pistons and spend the money on some decent rods. Correct me if I'm wrong but those rods look like the cheap Chinese non rifle drilled rods?

its just to get it started, my plan is to rebuild the engine, with a good build, then change the setup to a bigger turbo, and alot more, but i like the 8p better then the 8l but the car i love, otherwise i'd just buy a finished orignal 8p, also want it to be one of a kind, with own lights, and bumpers etc, im going for 500-700hp later, after i taken everything apart and made it work properly, its Arp 2000 racing rods, cost about 400euros for a set, their from max speedin and is good for 600-800bhp

Last edited:
Wossners don't have decent valve pockets for cams and you will need cams if going for 600hp...

Are the rods rifle drilled? if not they will just end up knocking out the small ends regardless of power power they are rated too... and power is not really the factor you need to worry about... torque bends rods...

Are you getting the block bored? I assume you are going for a 1900 rather than 2ltr stroker

<tuffty/>

sorry about the picture focus, i got a bad camera and focusing lens on phone, i tought about 1.9 or 2.0, yea the rods a rifle drilled, the cams and valves and valve springs will upgraded, but one thing at t the time, as i said, only gonna make this car work properly then start pushing powers, i been looking at the 3.2quattro traverse engine aswell, as it would give major increase and a way better sound, but thats for later on, first im gonna get it stripped painted and everypart fitted correctly then mount brakes, a full set of powerflex, anti-rolling bars, gauges,~

got it painted and fitted the smoked new led lights, looks good

IMG_0220_zpszn9leuc1.jpg

IMG_0221_zpshbmyvhtq.jpg

*EDIT... fixed image links...

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry about the picture focus, i got a bad camera and focusing lens on phone, i tought about 1.9 or 2.0, yea the rods a rifle drilled, the cams and valves and valve springs will upgraded, but one thing at t the time, as i said, only gonna make this car work properly then start pushing powers, i been looking at the 3.2quattro traverse engine aswell, as it would give major increase and a way better sound, but thats for later on, first im gonna get it stripped painted and everypart fitted correctly then mount brakes, a full set of powerflex, anti-rolling bars, gauges,~

The maxspeeding rods you have are not rifle drilled. . . Yes they may physically be strong enough for 600+ bhp but as Tuffty says the little end will wear quickly and start rattling.

Lmao everything is so wrong

And yea, I hate to be so critical about someones personal choices and preferences, but it is all rather painful to see isn't it...

But at the end of the day, and as he's said, he wants the car to be a one off and you have to admire how he's attacked the project so far. . . Also I think the whole mental styling thing is just a bit of a euro thing really, and certainly not going to appeal to everyone, especially the purists (like most of the people on this forum!)

Any forged rifle drilled rods will be ok it's so that the small end gets an oil feed, most people favour integrated engineering rods

Any forged rifle drilled rods will be ok it's so that the small end gets an oil feed, most people favour integrated engineering rods
thanks, seems like ie website is down atm

Where are you based badger5 sells them has an online shop

thanks, seems like ie website is down atm

i understand, most people, would like the car original, but thank god were not all like, i like to do some mod's, what rods, would you suggest then?

Most popular on this forum seem to be Integrated Engineering... But other well renowned brands include Eagle and SCAT.

But basically anything rifle drilled and you can't go much wrong. . . Be aware that even these well renowned manufactures supply non-rifle drilled versions of their rods!

If you message Bill @ badger 5 he might be able to help you out he's one of the sight sponsors otherwise as VAG-slag says find a scat dealer

Are there any decent tuners that know about 1.8t's in Norway? . . Sounds like you could do with someone who can advise you on set up and supply the parts. Do you know where you're going to get the car mapped at all?
yea, i got a pretty good mapper, and hes good, i found IE FORGED 144X20 RODS 1.8T with drilling, gonna order them, thanks for the tips so far, waiting for the oil-pump, rod bearings, brakes, 550 injectors, tuffty thought it would be better than the 440, turbo, powerflex kit, anti-roll bar,new clutch and inline fuel-pump and wireing.

Last edited:
Reactions: dusty
wow - mega build!!! following thread :)

but no more yellow :( i reckon the 8P styling will look alright

wow - mega build!!! following thread :)

but no more yellow :( i reckon the 8P styling will look alright
i had it yellow for 4 years, and i have had my moments with the local cops sometimes, haha, so i decided to change up.. also wanted everything black

Reactions: VAG-Slag
Should have sold up and bought black to do the project with. Shame to respray an imola a more generic colour

Should have sold up and bought black to do the project with. Shame to respray an imola a more generic colour
i tought about it, but i like my car had it for about 4 years, and so much memomries in it, so i didn't wanna sell it,

Last edited:
yea, i got a pretty good mapper, and hes good, i found IE FORGED 144X20 RODS 1.8T with drilling, gonna order them, thanks for the tips so far, waiting for the oil-pump, rod bearings, brakes, 550 injectors, tuffty thought it would be better than the 440, turbo, powerflex kit, anti-roll bar,new clutch and inline fuel-pump and wireing.

To be fair, 440's @ 4bar will be fine for a hybrid set up so long as the pump can keep up... It is always safer to have head way there though and these lot love wacking on a set of 550's for good measure!

I'm running 380's @ 4bar with my hybrid k300 (making them effectively 440's), which will be fine for 300bhp

To be fair, 440's @ 4bar will be fine for a hybrid set up so long as the pump can keep up... It is always safer to have head way there though and these lot love wacking on a set of 550's for good measure!

I'm running 380's @ 4bar with my hybrid k300 (making them effectively 440's), which will be fine for 300bhp
im gonna run a hybrid ko-04 but you sure the 440s gonna hold up, im waiting for a inline fuel-pump and wireing, to keep up with the injectors

im gonna run a hybrid ko-04 but you sure the 440s gonna hold up, im waiting for a inline fuel-pump and wireing, to keep up with the injectors

440's @ 4 bar should be fine, but they'll likely be at somewhere near 90% duty cycle at full power. And obviously the pump will be under a lot more strain at 4 bar than it will at 3... There is a mathematical equation to calculate injector duty cycle vs air flow (i.e HP), perhaps someone (Bill!?) can expand on that a bit for us?

When it comes to high duty cycles though, no one has ever really been able to explain to me why a high duty is such a bad thing... At the end of the day an injector is either open or closed, I personally don't understand why having an injector open 90% of the time is that much worse that it being open 70% of the time..

Reactions: Charmz