Audi S3 8v 2014 turbo fail after 30,000miles

fred321

Reaction score
Hello everyone, just look for some help I’m going to look at new car soon and I have found a nice spec one however its 2014 made in April. It’s done 30,000 miles was just wondering everyone could help thank.

Hello everyone, just look for some help I’m going to look at new car soon and I have found a nice spec one however its 2014 made in April. It’s done 30,000 miles was just wondering everyone could help thank.

Why have you mentioned turbo failure if that’s not what you’ve wrote about??

I think he’s trying to highlight the turbo issues on the earlier models that were going pop.

Check the revision on the turbo - I had this concern as well before I started modifying mine - think if your turbo is revision H or further down the alphabet you are ok.

Mine did 15k miles or so on Revo Stage 2 tune with 400bhp on stock turbo, no issues.

how do you tell which revision the turbo is? Just had a quick look and cant see any letters just numbers

Reactions: fred321
I'd say if the price is good and everything checks out, don't worry about the turbo, just mod the heck out of it and if it fails, it's only like US$1.2K, just add that in your budget...

how do you tell which revision the turbo is? Just had a quick look and cant see any letters just numbers

Ive my OEM turbo in the boot - I will dig it out when I get home and show you where the number is but as far as I remember I had to use a mirror as its on the underside of the turbo when fitted to the car

Reactions: Damo S
Or get your turbo reconditioned / hybridised. Perhaps prices have changed since the old days, but an uprated hybrid for the old gt4 from Turbo Dynamics was just under 600 quid from what I recall. Made a fair difference to the performance of the car as well, having a larger compressor wheel / housing plus stronger internals for running higher boost pressure.
From what I've read though an upgraded turbo of any kind requires a remap as the stock mapping is based on a lot of hard coded assumptions derived from extensive factory testing. I couldn't quite get my head around that part as all a larger turbo does is provide a cooler charge it does not increase boost pressure (unless the wastegate isnt up to the job so the boost starts creeping up at higher rpms).