Audi s3 8y interior lights

Harny86

Reaction score
I picked up my new S3 saloon 8y today.When I drove it tonight I thought wow this is very dark inside the car. There was no lights on in the footwells.My A4 had ambient lighting so it looked good this has nothing.Is that normal?I thought they would have had a couple of led strips in to make it look good on a night.

I picked up my new S3 saloon 8y today.When I drove it tonight I thought wow this is very dark inside the car. There was no lights on in the footwells.My A4 had ambient lighting so it looked good this has nothing.Is that normal?I thought they would have had a couple of led strips in to make it look good on a night.

Congrats on the S3 buddy!

Did you equip the ambient lighting pack? It's standard on the edition 1 and vorsprung but and option on most other trims.

Once you have it I believe you can turn the footwell lights on and off from the mmi. Worth checking though just in case the option is present without the ambient lighting pack.

Here's my video of the ambient function for reference:

Last edited:
Did you equip the ambient lighting pack? It's standard on the edition 1 and vorsprung but and option on most other trims.

Here's my video of the function:

No mate I haven't got this I wish it did.Wonder if they can be retrofitted

Mine hasn’t got the ambient package but it does have lights in the foot wells , for what they are worth. Not very bright !

Reactions: AdamInKent
Waa wait, A3 don't have any lights at all (even if old school bulb) in the front footwells? My current Volvo V40 has them, and so did Seat Leon ages ago (and that's not a premium car).

Waa wait, A3 don't have any lights at all (even if old school bulb) in the front footwells? My current Volvo V40 has them, and so did Seat Leon ages ago (and that's not a premium car).
They are fitted as standard in the S-Line trim and above. (In the Sportback, I can’t say for sure in the Saloon.)

Whoops, I've only got a Sport Trim on order. Gonna be fun when SWMBO drops things in the footwell, especially at night!

Mine hasn’t got the ambient package but it does have lights in the foot wells , for what they are worth. Not very bright !

That's all I have and you carnt even tell that they are there they are very dull

Ambient Lighting for £110 is well worth it imo, it looks amazing at night and it's even in the rear doors! Would be a big mistake to not order it.

hlm70v3w

4mmey9dh

3swiwwaw

Reactions: Harny86
Ambient Lighting for £110 is well worth it imo, it looks amazing at night and it's even in the rear doors! Would be a big mistake to not order it.

hlm70v3w

4mmey9dh

3swiwwaw

I agree big mistake.
I'm wondering if anyone can fit them for me as pay of course

I agree big mistake.
I'm wondering if anyone can fit them for me as pay of course

Should be theoretically possible, just change out the trims and run the wires to the controller, i'm sure somebody will offer it eventually.

One thing i've noticed throughout my ordering process, you have to pay a huge amount of attention to the spec, it's so easy to miss off the most tiniest details such as ambient lighting.

One thing i've noticed throughout my ordering process, you have to pay a huge amount of attention to the spec, it's so easy to miss off the most tiniest details such as ambient lighting.

100% , this is why I hope my videos will reach buyers before they purchase. You won't believe the amount of people who did not know what differences the storage pack has.

It's sad that Audi is not clear with these things at all for the average consumer to understand.

But I'm not complaining... It gives me reasons to put videos up :)

Reactions: AdamInKent and pburv
100% , this is why I hope my videos will reach buyers before they purchase. You won't believe the amount of people who did not know what differences the storage pack has.

It's sad that Audi is not clear with these things at all for the average consumer to understand.

But I'm not complaining... It gives me reasons to put videos up :)

You definitely need a lot of car/Audi knowledge to spec a good car, it's not transparent at all and your average consumer just won't have a clue. Audi staff don't even have a clue on a lot of features, trying to get some solid information from them is like trying to get blood from a stone. But it explains how the used market is flooded with poorly, base spec'd Audis.

I agree.

The only reason I got the S3 is I baught a 2020 A4 in September brand new and the engine died in November the garage had it 7 weeks I told them I want to reject the car but what a hassle I had

Door ambient lighting can be retrofitted, I have supported a few customers to retro fit them to their 8V, the door controllers have dedicated pins to support the ambient lighting. The wiring side is for me the easy part, sourcing the ambient trim panels is more difficult, the LED strips are moulded into the trim and you need to buy the trim with the LED strips, on the 8V these strips are £130 each and there is 1 per door, many people get them from China for about £80 a pair (not sure if they are genuine or not but judging by the price I doubt it) .

You can also fit door pocket ambient lighting on some door cards, it all depends on whether you are willing to cut holes in the door card to house them.

The cheapest way to do it is to use LED strips you buy off ebay but it depends on if you want to go OEM or not.

Door ambient lighting can be retrofitted, I have supported a few customers to retro fit them to their 8V, the door controllers have dedicated pins to support the ambient lighting. The wiring side is for me the easy part, sourcing the ambient trim panels is more difficult, the LED strips are moulded into the trim and you need to buy the trim with the LED strips, on the 8V these strips are £130 each and there is 1 per door, many people get them from China for about £80 a pair (not sure if they are genuine or not but judging by the price I doubt it) .

You can also fit door pocket ambient lighting on some door cards, it all depends on whether you are willing to cut holes in the door card to house them.

The cheapest way to do it is to use LED strips you buy off ebay but it depends on if you want to go OEM or not.
Robin how much would you charge to do this?

Depends on how much of it is OEM and how much of it is aftermarket using flexi LED strips from amazon etc.

I know that the trim pieces with the red LED stripe in the door are OEM and based on the 8V prices they are around £130 each from Audi. Thats £600 straight away.

I personally won't fit any aftermarket LED strips to a customers car, I only deal with OEM parts trim wise. The LED strip along the dashboard - is that a part of the ambient lighting package? If so then it will be possible to buy the trim bits with the LED fitted from Audi, its a matter of getting hold of the part numbers and the prices for them but judging from the door strip prices I can't see them being cheap.

From the wiring side of things which is what I deal with 99% of the time its not too difficult, harness prices will vary dependant on complexity but wouldn't be any where as expensive as the parts.

There is also the question of whether the LED strips are RGB which allow the colour to be changed, this will require new modules and a lot more wiring, something that I am looking into with a company (www.audiupgrades.co.uk) that I have teamed up with as there is a demand for the same type of ambient lighting on Q7's.

If you would like to discuss it further then I am happy to do so and look into it with a bit more detail, with the 8Y being so new getting information isn't the easiest but we have our ways and means.

I will try and get some prices for trims robin.
I agree with you regarding with the 8y been new as I'm looking for a spoiler everyone I message on eBay say there not sure of the 8v will fit it so I'm stuck lol

Depends on how much of it is OEM and how much of it is aftermarket using flexi LED strips from amazon etc.

I know that the trim pieces with the red LED stripe in the door are OEM and based on the 8V prices they are around £130 each from Audi. Thats £600 straight away.

I personally won't fit any aftermarket LED strips to a customers car, I only deal with OEM parts trim wise. The LED strip along the dashboard - is that a part of the ambient lighting package? If so then it will be possible to buy the trim bits with the LED fitted from Audi, its a matter of getting hold of the part numbers and the prices for them but judging from the door strip prices I can't see them being cheap.

From the wiring side of things which is what I deal with 99% of the time its not too difficult, harness prices will vary dependant on complexity but wouldn't be any where as expensive as the parts.

There is also the question of whether the LED strips are RGB which allow the colour to be changed, this will require new modules and a lot more wiring, something that I am looking into with a company (www.audiupgrades.co.uk) that I have teamed up with as there is a demand for the same type of ambient lighting on Q7's.

If you would like to discuss it further then I am happy to do so and look into it with a bit more detail, with the 8Y being so new getting information isn't the easiest but we have our ways and means.

For £110 I cannot understand why anyone wouldn't spec the ambient lighting pack.

For £110 I cannot understand why anyone wouldn't spec the ambient lighting pack.
Let me help, by letting you know why I didn’t spec it. For starters, I prefer a dark car for night driving (I even turn the dash lighting to a minimum). Secondly, other options that cost about £110 include the wireless phone charging tray, a spare wheel or upgraded alloys (for the S-Line). It might be different if you are paying monthly for the car, but for those paying cash, the £110 for the lighting pack might be better spent elsewhere.

Let me help, by letting you know why I didn’t spec it. For starters, I prefer a dark car for night driving (I even turn the dash lighting to a minimum). Secondly, other options that cost about £110 include the wireless phone charging tray, a spare wheel or upgraded alloys (for the S-Line). It might be different if you are paying monthly for the car, but for those paying cash, the £110 for the lighting pack might be better spent elsewhere.

Of course, each to their own. But you can just fully turn off the ambient lighting and turn it on when you want, it's a bit of a showpiece imo and £110 is a decent price to pay for what you get. Also, come selling time, most people are going to want it, when I was looking a used 8Y's for comparison, it was a deal break feature for me. But that's just me I suppose.

£110 is a bargain compared to the cost of retrofitting it which I would guess will be over £1000 if all parts were sourced directly from Audi.

£110 is a bargain compared to the cost of retrofitting it which I would guess will be over £1000 if all parts were sourced directly from Audi.

Yea I couldn't afford another £1000 as its booked in for a deres and dechromed.
So at that price I would have to wait

Also, come selling time, most people are going to want it, when I was looking a used 8Y's for comparison, it was a deal break feature for me. But that's just me I suppose.

A good point for those who are optioning a car with a view to selling it a few years down the line. But if, like me, you are buying the car for the long haul, selling price is less of a concern.

Yea I couldn't afford another £1000 as its booked in for a deres and dechromed.
So at that price I would have to wait

I'd certainly wait and see if good quality aftermarket trims come up on the market, prices of genuine parts will always increase.

You could always to it in stages so lighting trim strips and then the ambient lighting - its certainly not a cheap game when it comes to sourcing parts from Audi!

Reactions: Harny86
Should be theoretically possible, just change out the trims and run the wires to the controller, i'm sure somebody will offer it eventually.

Hi, Iv got a a3 8y edition 1, and I agree about pay big attention when it’s time to spec car,

my question is with the ambient lighting it comes standard on the edition 1, but only seems to come in the evening/night? Is that normal only asking as I had a Mercedes Benz before this and the ambient lighting was on at all times.

Also the rear lights - usually front daytime running lighting for front and rear lights is normal but it seems with the a3 8y the back ones don’t come on?
hash

Hi, Iv got a a3 8y edition 1, and I agree about pay big attention when it’s time to spec car,

my question is with the ambient lighting it comes standard on the edition 1, but only seems to come in the evening/night? Is that normal only asking as I had a Mercedes Benz before this and the ambient lighting was on at all times.

Also the rear lights - usually front daytime running lighting for front and rear lights is normal but it seems with the a3 8y the back ones don’t come on?
hash
The DRLs on the A3 behave the same as the ones on my mk VI Golf.

Hey bud this is normal, its actually controlled by the light button. By default your lights are always set to auto so they switch on in the evening and at the same time so does the ambient lighting.

If you want them on during the day, then all you have to do is turn your main lights on :)

H
Hey bud this is normal, its actually controlled by the light button. By default your lights are always set to auto so they switch on in the evening and at the same time so does the ambient lighting.

If you want them on during the day, then all you have to do is turn your main lights on :)

Il try that, do you keep urs on auto or manual for the ambient lighting?

H

Il try that, do you keep urs on auto or manual for the ambient lighting?

Hi mate Iv tried tha it doesn’t work can you please send a video of it working? Please thanks

My car arrived with Parking Plus which I didn't specify, and no interior lighting which I asked for. I think Audi are sending customers 'best-fit' versions of orders. I understand Covid and the Ukrain situation made early 2022 order fulfilment difficult. However, I have a lot of sympathy with the view that Audi Sales is not doing its job properly. A £100 ambient light pack is hardly going to be a deal breaker on a £35-£40,000 sale.