Audi S3 Sprint Blue Progress Thread

Frankay

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been on this forum for a fair while now, but don't tend to post a great deal and instead just ogle over other people build threads.

I thought I’d start my own now and show you a few of the things I’ve currently done to my car and what I’m hoping to do in the future. It probably won't be the most active thread but I’ll do my best to keep up to date with any changes and modifications.

I bought the car back in June this year after wanting one forever! Finally managed to find one with the spec I was after (minus the bucket seats) these were a very pricey optional extra from the factory and finding a pair inside a sprint blue with DSG and updated Sat Nav was proving nearly impossible.

Anyway enough talking for now, here are some pictures below of when i first picked up the car.

And below is a picture of it at its new home with my brothers RS4. Such an amazing machine.

I can't describe how happy I was driving this home. It is everything I always wanted. I did have an extended test drive before buying the car, as it was the first time I’d ever experienced a DSG gearbox. Still amazes me how fast it flies through the gears it really is an incredible piece of engineering. I've got a fair few pictures to add to this thread, which I will try to add in due course.

Reactions: SL11CKK
First small mod was to get rid of the god awful license plates that came on the car, and as I was planning a small trip to the Nurburgring soon it made sense to get some GB plates made up which saved me having GB stickers plastered all over the car.

I then took the car to have new tyres and 4 wheel alignment done before heading to the Nurburgring.

I then wanted to upgrade the interior lighting as the standard lights were far to yellow for my liking. I purchased these Can Bus lights on eBay to replace the entire interior and licence plates bulbs. A small change but has made a big difference in my opinion. Unfortunately I don’t have any pictures of the interior lights in the dark yet. I will try to get some posted.

I’d had the car a few months and although it lived up to all my expectations, I couldn’t help but resist the urge to extract some more power from the car. I spent a lot of time researching the various companies such as Revo, APR, MRC as well as a few local companies.

I eventually decided to go with MRC as my brother had previously taken his car here for extensive work so I knew that they would produce fantastic results. So I booked my car in to get a Stage 1 Remap with an MRC high flow air filter.

We set off nice and early as my brother was taking his car there again, to get some work done, as we wanted to get the cars back the same day.

We arrived just before 9 AM so they could start on the cars early morning.

You can see my car tucked away in the workshop. There was some serious muscle at their garage too.

There was also a few dyno printouts to have a nose of whilst you do your business on the loo!

Once the cars were dropped off, we popped in to town for the day to have a look around (which Is very nice by the way) a town called Banbury near Oxford. I awaited the call from MRC to tell us that the remap was completed and that we could come to pick the car up.

I really was like a kid in a toyshop going back to their workshop. They really are in my eyes the best in the business, and I feel the results speak for themselves.
As you can see below (excuse the terrible picture). The car made 312PS and 466nm of torque!

Just a must needed picture before we set off home.

I could not wait for the drive home as I was looking forward to see what all the extra power would be like on the road, especially with the increase in torque.

I’d never driven a remapped car before so didn’t really know what to expect. At normal speed it drove exactly as standard, which I was happy with.
I waited until we approached a slip road on the motorway to give it the full beans as it were…

Now I expected a difference but it really felt like a completely different car! The instant power delivery, the surge of constant torque and there was much more induction and turbo noise the sound was just unreal! The drive home was just amazing it was worth every penny and I cannot emphasise how good MRC’s work is.

We stopped off along the way home for a quick break and a quick picture.

Hope you enjoyed reading this part. I will add some more updates soon.

Reactions: Sprintblu3, leshkin, millsy4002 and 3 others
Great start to a progress thread and both cars looks stunning! Please keep the updates coming! :)

Great start to a progress thread and both cars looks stunning! Please keep the updates coming! :)
Thanks man, much appreciated. Just about to upload a few more bits and bobs :racer:

So before heading out to the Nurburgring I planned a few things, first was to get the S-tronic Gearbox Oil changed. So I booked that in with Audi and tried my luck asking for a new model S3 as a courtesy car instead I got this:

Was actually very nice to drive, but by god was it slow. It was a 1.6 diesel I believe but seemed to have no torque at all.

Once the work was complete I dropped the courtesy car off and as it was the release of the new licence plates day, there were many new cars waiting to be picked up. I wasn’t jealous in the slightest I promise.
laughing.gif

Once I got the car back, I managed to get some time in between work to spend a few hours on her:

Cleaned using Zymol Shampoo 2BM
Clayed with a farcela G3 mitt (1st time using this product was very impressed).
Used a Das 6 Pro to machine the car with Dodo Juice Lime Prime
Finally sealed with Collinite 476s.

Didn’t have time for many more steps unfortunately but here are some afters.

The day had finally come that I’d been waiting for a long time…. Our annual trip to the Nurbugring, except this time I was finally taking my own car. I know this isn’t really any modification or changes to the car, but thought Id add them on anyway so you could take a read.

Below are a few shots of the Journey along the way to the ferry.

When we got there we took a few shots underneath the Lidner congress motorsport hotel. Very nice place to stay if you are planning a trip there.

I tried to get some artistic shots going on but as you can probably see, I have terrible photography skills….

Managed to get some Go karting time in too which was great fun. I had to add this picture as seen as I come 1st! :racer:

Saw this stunning RS3 in the underground car park. So much want for one of these.

We were planning a full trip down to Switzerland too as we had done previously, but the weather was forecast to be torrential for the whole week which was a shame. So instead we stayed another day to have some track action. Unfortunately I have no pictures on the track but I do have some go pro footage which I am currently trying to edit and get a little video on youtube.

Below are a few pictures of a Mini that I have no idea what it was running, but it was certainly running circles around me on the circuit
biggrin.gif
. I also came across an absolutely stunning GTR Nismo and 911 Turbo S.

The whole experience was incredible and I urge anyone thinking about going there to do it!
Got a few pictures on the way home and the sky was absolutely incredible so managed to snap the pictures below. Apologies for all the terrible pictures but they are all taken on my phone.

Below are a few from the final stretch of the journey on the way home. Car was still looking very clean considering the mileage we covered. Although the wheels were covered in brake dust! (an update with a winter wheel protection will be posted soon).

Anyway that’s all for now. I shall look to add some more updates this week. Thanks for reading
wave.gif

Reactions: kaybee, Hookmonster, millsy4002 and 2 others
Nice, looks like you guys had good fun! I'm hoping to get a trip to the ring later this year done too. Can't wait!

Nice, looks like you guys had good fun! I'm hoping to get a trip to the ring later this year done too. Can't wait!
It was incredible, cant emphasise how good the whole experience is. A must for any car lover! I'm hoping to go again this year but not 100% sure if I will be yet as I need to become and adult and purchase a house :wtf:.

It was incredible, cant emphasise how good the whole experience is. A must for any car lover! I'm hoping to go again this year but not 100% sure if I will be yet as I need to become and adult and purchase a house :wtf:.

Meh, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive a house ;)

Meh, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive a house ;)
This is what i keep telling the other half, she seems to think otherwise, not quite sure why though it clearly makes sense.... :whistle2:

Cars lovely mate! I need to get finger out and get to the ring. Its on my to do list. Lol!!

Thanks very much all :). Planning on going on a little blast on this weekend, which has been planned through Pistonheads for South Wales members. Will try and get some pictures from that event to add on when I can. Last month a Ferarri F40 turned up :hubbahubba:.

Nice car. How much did the Nurburgring trip cost in total?
Thanks mate. I'l do a little breakdown as I go along to help me remember.

Fuel: I had about 5 fuel stops which amounted to £300. Depends if you using the autobahn to their full potential :happy:.
Euro Tunnel: Cant really put a figure as it always changes but i'd say £100.
Hotel: We stayed for 3 nights in Lidner congress hotel for 3 people it came to about £350 So . But there are much cheaper places to stay.
Food: Totally up to yourself.
Laps on Track: Single lap is about £20 4 laps is £100

Any additional is again entirely up to you going round track with a professional. Going in a drift car etc. All things i'd highly recommend though :).
Its cheaper if you take some mates to split costs on fuel etc. But i hope this gives you an idea of costs at least.

Cheers

Your car looks good, I like the blue colour.
Looks like you had a good time over there. I went last August, and going again this August but fitting a Spa track day in too.

Your car looks good, I like the blue colour.
Looks like you had a good time over there. I went last August, and going again this August but fitting a Spa track day in too.

Cheers, I'm glad I went for sprint blue in the end, was tempted with white, but personally I see far to many White audis about, wanted something slightly different.

Whats August like there is it busy? As my last trip was fairly quite? Always fancied Spa too but I'm sure I remember looking at prices and thinking they were massively expensive for 1 lap?

Not a massive update as such, but I've purchased new Rubber all round today. I've gone for the new Eagle F1 asymmetric 3. I've done hardly any mileage in them so far, but they do feel very planted from my first initial drive. I'll update with how I find them as soon as I've put a few miles on them. Oh and the price for anyone interested was £374 fitted and balanced. Didn't need tracking as it was spot on. Bargain if you ask me!

Cheers.

First small mod was to get rid of the god awful license plates that came on the car, and as I was planning a small trip to the Nurburgring soon it made sense to get some GB plates made up which saved me having GB stickers plastered all over the car.

Great looking car BUT how bout using some of that stuff on your SHOES! LOL

Reactions: Mujnu
Haha thats my old man sporting his "top of range one of a kind vintage look sunday best".

Reactions: Mujnu
Looks great! Done the Nurburgring in 2014 and going in July this year, with my S3. Cant wait to go back! We also stayed at Lindner Hotel last time and this time, its really nice.

Nice thread, that Mini is crazy he's flown past me a few times on there. I'm heading back over next week, I think the Nurburgring is possibly the greatest place on earth ha. August is a good month to go but can be a little hot. What tyres were you running when you were there?

Do you have a link for the number plate bulbs?
Here you go: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A3-S...uattro&hash=item418e4200ce:g:qEIAAOSwGzlTxFwf

If you purchase them be warned the screws Audi use are made of cheese and dont last two seconds unless you are careful when removing them.

Looks great! Done the Nurburgring in 2014 and going in July this year, with my S3. Cant wait to go back! We also stayed at Lindner Hotel last time and this time, its really nice.
Yea its such a nice place and personally dont think i'd stay anywhere else as its priced fairly well. Get free brekkie, and the track is all of 2 minutes away. Whats it like in July busy at all?
Nice thread, that Mini is crazy he's flown past me a few times on there. I'm heading back over next week, I think the Nurburgring is possibly the greatest place on earth ha. August is a good month to go but can be a little hot. What tyres were you running when you were there?
Yea it was absolutely mental, it was pouring down when I went on the track, but that didnt seem to stop him! And I'd agree its just my little get away and I honestly think i'd live there if I could haha. When I purchased the car they had Goodyear efficient grip tyres on there and the front were a little worn, so replaced with two of them. Actually not bad tyres in the rain but other than that, personally i'd never use them again. Shouldn't go anywhere near a car with a bit of power, they just let go without any feedback, not the nicest feeling if I'm honest :wtf:

It was pretty busy in July, although I dont know how busy it is any other time.

Half of this update is going to be in a completely random order. But as its been so long I thought I'd get it updates anyway.

So after many many miles, and some track action my wheels were in a pretty bad state. So I purchased some Poor Boys Wheel Sealant and Wolfs Chemical de-ironizer to tackle my wheels.

You can see they were in a pretty bad way and look like they’d never been cleaned before.
I washed the wheels over first with some hot soapy water and fairy liquid to try and get rid of any loose dirt and grease that was on the wheels. This moved a small amount, but really didn’t do a great deal (not that I expected it to). This is where I used the Wolfs Chemical product (unfortunately no during). The product was overall brilliant and bought them up looking very good indeed.

Sadly I had no Tar remover so as you can see there was a large amount of residue from where previous wheel weights had been. This took much longer to remove.
After a lot of elbow grease, I eventually used dodo juice lime prime to polish the wheels and get rid of any small imperfections. I then moved on to Poorboys product where I used three coats on each wheel leaving the finish looking like this.

Recently purchased a set of team Heko wind deflectors. Bought solely for practicality and not looks. I’m fed up of wanting the windows open but having rain constantly dribble in from the roof.

I ordered some OEM carpeted Audi mats, as I was previously using great big rubber mats which I wasn't a fan of at all. Again apologies for all the pictures as they are taken on a Phone.

I'm very happy with them and are far nicer than the old heavy duty rubber ones
thumb.gif

Next up was a quick clean as the car was smothered in Road Salt. Process was the usual 2BM and Zymol Natural Shampoo (smells incredible) and to add some protection I used Dodo Juice Supernatural Acrylic Spritz which left her looking like this....

My next update was a brand new Revo CAI. Purchased this as I am eventually planning on going to stage 2+ or purchasing an RS3 I really cannot make my mind up, opinions welcome.
Purchased through a company called LVS racing that were brilliant and also very knowledgeable guys too.
Fitting the item in all honesty was a fairly easy process, just somewhat fiddly trying to remove certain clips from around the turbo.
Only a few pictures of the fitting as I was too excited to get it all fitted, sorry!

If you’re doing this just make sure you cover the above as you’re going to have some major issues if anything falls in!

First Pipe all on (the fiddliest!)

And one with it nearly all finished, just the Diverter piping to go back and the MAF sensor.

And all connected 

Once it was all fitted I started the car and left it run for a while to make sure it didn’t cut out or anything. All was good so went out for a little test run. All I can say is WOW.
It’s like having darth vader in your engine bay. Whilst plodding around you get a small distant and fairly subtle noise from the turbo which is nice for day to day use. However when you plant the throttle it’s truly epic it makes all sorts of weird and wonderful noises. As for performance gains it’s hard to tell with the car already being mapped, but it does seem to pull slightly better higher up the rev range. In all honesty the engine in the S3 is far from characterful to start with, but this really has made it sound truly epic.

So that’s all for now folks, it’s been giving a wash, clayed and sealed with dodo juice supernatural Acrylic Spritz. I purchased a car cover for now until I move in to my new house and finally get my own garage!
So here is one picture of her all tucked away.

This now brings me to the present day. All of last year I was continuing to save for my new home. For that reason I took the car off the road and drove around in a Ford KA for the year which, was actually quite a fun little car. However, it killed me not being able to use the Audi but needs must.

The car finally came back on the road last Friday and I’ve at last moved in to my new home so I’m a very happy man.

I used the KA for a short period until I’d moved everything in etc you can see the little beasty in a few of the pictures.

Since I’ve moved in I’ve started to tidy the garage ready for a few little jobs I’d like to get done. Firstly was to sweep the whole garage out, as it was completely thick with dust as you can see.Before moving in I also contemplated getting a back door fitted to the rear of the garage for ease of access but decided against which I’m glad I did in all honesty, more so for security purposes.

Now the garage was clear I purchased a dust proofer which you just brush/paint roller on to the floor. I’d read good reviews about it so thought I’d give it a go.

Before:

During:

After:

Literally done this today so I’m waiting for it to dry before I do a second coat but I will give a little review of it when I’m all done if anyone’s interested.

Here are a few pics of a few detailing goodies I need to get another shelf or two to have room for everything!

I’ve also ordered a sample set of floor tiles from a company called Mototile. I’m hoping to choose my design and colours soon and get them ordered.

The final addition to the garage was to add some outside lights for security and also to help the other half reverse up the drive…
laughing.gif

My father being a joker as per!

And some pictures of them at night

Think they make a great addition to the garage for such a small cost.

Since I don’t have an outside tap fitted just yet, I took the car back to my parents to give it a nice clean and took it for a well-deserved blast over the Brecon Beacons. Since it’s been off the road It’d been under cover the whole time and was sealed with Dodo Juice Supernatural so it really wasn’t that bad before I’d even cleaned it. I just gave it a quick clean and re-protected it but this time using Dodo Juice Blue Velvet Hard wax. I was over the moon with the results. (I only took a few pictures, as I wanted to get out and drive it!).

And a few pictures from the drive itself

And finally back home

I think that brings me up to date on where I’m at currently with the car. Apologies it’s been a bit of a lengthy post but tried to add what I can remember that’s happened at least.

One last picture from a quick drive this evening. Had no idea where I was going but ended up at the top of a mountain with some beautiful views. Hope you've all enjoyed reading
wave.gif

Reactions: HHS3, S. and leshkin
Great job on moving into a new place and not filling the garage with junk straight away! Took me over a year to clear enough space out to park the car in it after moving to our new place :)

Reactions: S.