Audi S3 to VW Golf R - Am I a joke to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like it too and would definitely consider one :icon thumright:

Reactions: RS3 S.
Its a hatchback and all of them are bland looking too my eyes ....Golf 8 interior has far more high gloss plastic than the A3 has .....golf's normally are more expensive on a pcp due to having lower residuals than a A3

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Its a hatchback and all of them are bland looking too my eyes ....Golf 8 interior has far more high gloss plastic than the A3 has .....golf's normally are more expensive on a pcp due to having lower residuals than a A3

Wouldn’t say the interiors are materially different when comparing MK7 and 8V.

I’m guessing more go for the hatch over the saloon, that’s just what I see on the road.

Expensive on PCP but there were some silly leases last few years on Golfs.

Will be interesting to see them in the flesh and side by side.

Reactions: NevMan and RS3 S.
I thought the new S3 did have the new trick rear multiplate clutch/diff?

No, the S3 does torque vectoring via the brakes (p12):
https://audimediacenter-a.akamaihd....Audi_S3.pdf?1599817505&disposition=attachment
The specific item: https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en...0/chassis-7185#wheel-selective-torque-control

The R uses a clutch (“4MOTION with R-Performance Torque Vectoring”)
https://www.vwpress.co.uk/en-gb/press-kits/1001

So, in the S3 you will only ever get half of the power on the rear axle to the outside wheel, whilst the R (and A45 etc) can send all the power on the rear axle to the outside wheel. That is how they promote ‘drift’ behaviour.

Reactions: NevMan and Snake Pliskin
That’s new for this gen, previously the 2l turbo versions of the R have basically matched the S3 in terms of power (and drive train)

I think VW are missing a trick here? They should do a saloon(Jetta) version... Although the performance and tech upgrades are tempting I think the styling is very bland. As I stated above a saloon version would attract a lot of buyers.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
VAG must be insane, quality of S3 reduced then GR gets more power. You'd have to really love Audi to get the S3.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: NevMan, pburv and Snake Pliskin
it looks pretty cool from the rear and I love the new 'R' badge ....

Upload 2020 11 4 16 0 19

Upload 2020 11 4 16 1 50

Reactions: RGBARGEE, NevMan, RS3 S. and 1 other person

Having test driven both the new Golf and the new A3 (with the original intent of buying the Golf) I chose the A3 largely because the Audi switches and controls are far smarter and more intuitive than the new Golf’s (and I say that as the owner of a mk 6).

Reactions: NevMan and Jassyo06
Akrapovic - it is usually an optional item

Reactions: RS3 S., TDI-line and RGBARGEE
Having test driven both the new Golf and the new A3 (with the original intent of buying the Golf) I chose the A3 largely because the Audi switches and controls are far smarter and more intuitive than the new Golf’s (and I say that as the owner of a mk 6).

And that's solely down to marketing....both brands attract different types of buyers everything inside an Audi always looks and works that bit than in a VW just like everything in a VW works and looks that bit better than in Skoda

Reactions: NevMan

£2000 option you seem a sucker for This new Golf R....with its drift mode/rear diff....Akrapovic exhaust etc etc.....all that adds up to over

£50,000 it did on the last Golf 7-5 R....win win for the VAG group....they dont care who they earn the interest off via a PCP deal....Look upon it from another Perspective...A Audi S3 owner is always going to look down his nose at a Golf R owner....just like a RS3 owner looks down his nose at a S3 owner....Same old Same old guff....mate People buy into a Brand and the 4 conjoined circles is powerful as you know

Wouldn’t say the interiors are materially different when comparing MK7 and 8V.

I’m guessing more go for the hatch over the saloon, that’s just what I see on the road.

Expensive on PCP but there were some silly leases last few years on Golfs.

Will be interesting to see them in the flesh and side by side.

The 8V fl blew the Golf R 7-5 oot the water in terms of interior build quality and design mate......it got to a stage back in early 2017 that most that got a Golf R on a pcp deal where in Neg Eq.......solely because VAG saturated the leasing market with deals that where less than £200@month and a lot that where leased....where modded and clocked because....it's leasing price made it affordable to the "boy racer" brigade....hence you had to be very very careful buying a used Golf R.....Roads are full of them still.......all driven like they'd been stolen with the stupid dynamic rear indicator mod.....a lot of early FL s3's are the same way.............they get cheaper and cheaper as time goes on

Last edited:
Reactions: RGBARGEE and NevMan
People buy into a Brand and the 4 conjoined circles is powerful as you know
Been an Audi driver for over 20 years but might move next time. Fancy a CLA45S Shooting Brake, but not sure I can justify £60k...

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and NevMan
I wouldn't say my S3 blew my TCR out of the water in terms of interior quality, yes it is slightly better but you would expect it to be as its a more expensive car.

I wasn't a fan of the previous R, and I'm not a massive fan of that either going by the pictures but they always look a bit better in the metal.

But anyone thinking its styling is any worse than the new S3 is either looking through rose tinted glasses, or needs to get to specsavers asap.

Reactions: TDI-line, Snake Pliskin and NevMan
I wouldn't say my S3 blew my TCR out of the water in terms of interior quality, yes it is slightly better but you would expect it to be as its a more expensive car.

I wasn't a fan of the previous R, and I'm not a massive fan of that either going by the pictures but they always look a bit better in the metal.

But anyone thinking its styling is any worse than the new S3 is either looking through rose tinted glasses, or needs to get to specsavers asap.
Your S3 was a PFL model eh anyway got that BMW yet?

Your S3 was a PFL model eh anyway got that BMW yet?

A friend has the FL model, and it's not miles ahead of the TCR in terms of interior quality and performance wise its even closer.

I'm not buying anything until at least March, the car spends most of it's time in the driveway these days anyway as I've been permanently working from home since March.

Not really any point taking it out at the weekend either as most places are closed.

As I don’t really need an every day commuting car now I will most likely get something special as it will primarily be a weekend car with the odd day I need to use it to get to work.

I think the new R will be more appealing to people having drift ability plus another 10hp over the S3 .

Last edited:
Reactions: Snake Pliskin, Terminator x and NevMan
I think the new R will be more appealing to people having drift ability plus another 10hp over the S3 .
Aye especially when ye fancy a wee drift on British roads....get real....

Reactions: Nige Smith and NevMan
The 8V fl blew the Golf R 7-5 oot the water in terms of interior build quality and design mate......it got to a stage back in early 2017 that most that got a Golf R on a pcp deal where in Neg Eq.......solely because VAG saturated the leasing market with deals that where less than £200@month and a lot that where leased....where modded and clocked because....it's leasing price made it affordable to the "boy racer" brigade....hence you had to be very very careful buying a used Golf R.....Roads are full of them still.......all driven like they'd been stolen with the stupid dynamic rear indicator mod.....a lot of early FL s3's are the same way.............they get cheaper and cheaper as time goes on

It really didn’t, the MK7 was comparable to the 8V, switch gear pretty much the same, seats far better in the golf even v super sports.

You talk about the power of the 4 circles, they have sucked you in big time and if you look down at Golf R owners just because you drive an S3 then that’s a little sad really.

Reactions: Chris.D, taks1, Mr Freeze and 2 others

Agreed, it's exterior isn't as challenging as the new A3/S3, but it is definitely bland. And I don't like the interiors in either, far too "Japanese" with all the lights and shiny black plastics.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Why not the same power though in the S3? Seems daft to hold it back imho.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

It really didn’t, the MK7 was comparable to the 8V, switch gear pretty much the same, seats far better in the golf even v super sports.

You talk about the power of the 4 circles, they have sucked you in big time and if you look down at Golf R owners just because you drive an S3 then that’s a little sad really.
Not sad at all its known as the Pecking order like l said l have no interest in a hatchback......especially the Golf 8 R with a pittance more bhp

Not sad at all its known as the Pecking order like l said l have no interest in a hatchback......especially the Golf 8 R with a pittance more bhp

Pecking order, it’s the same car mate with a different dress on.

I didn’t say you wanted a hatch but looking down on people because they chose an R over an S, come on Jassy.

Reactions: taks1 and Mr Freeze
Pecking order, it’s the same car mate with a different dress on.

I didn’t say you wanted a hatch but looking down on people because they chose an R over an S, come on Jassy.
I never actually said l personally did, but they're always is that underlying theme .....of one upmanship especially on car forums.......fact mate

Reactions: RGBARGEE, TYb and Sparks43
I never actually said l personally did, but they're always is that underlying theme .....of one upmanship especially on car forums.......fact mate

Yeah you’re right, bit pathetic really.

Someone might be driving a shed but have £2m in the bank.

S3 and R both very good cars and very similar but subtle differences.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and NevMan
It really surprises me how quick some people on car forums are to belittle other peoples' opinions, choices and ultimately cars. Sometimes it can get really aggressive and personal too, to the point of online bullying. I don't like bullies - hence the signature below. (That was a fun discussion - not.)

Having said that, the vast majority of people I encounter on forums are friendly and very helpful.

Reactions: RGBARGEE, Chris.D, taks1 and 3 others
It really surprises me how quick some people on car forums are to belittle other peoples' opinions, choices and ultimately cars. Sometimes it can get really aggressive and personal too, to the point of online bullying. I don't like bullies - hence the signature below. (That was a fun discussion - not.)

Having said that, the vast majority of people I encounter on forums are friendly and very helpful.

I think on the whole we are pretty good on here. My little chat with Jassy wasn’t an argument, it’s always healthy to have differing opinions, just need to make sure considerate to others, especially in this mad world.

Reactions: RGBARGEE, Sparks43, taks1 and 2 others

No names needed :laughing:

Reactions: RGBARGEE

Why should l change my preferences.....l know what l like and what suits me....just like everyone else

Reactions: RGBARGEE and TYb
Status
Not open for further replies.