Audi S3 vs Audi A3 S line/S-line vs VW Volkswagen Golf GTI vs Golf GTI Edition 30 ?!?

The look of it; don't get me wrong as a piece of engineering it's a fine car but if I owned one it's not a car I'd walk away from after a drive and feel any compulsion to take a second look back at. Ay least the Mk1 isn't as goppingly houndish as the Mk2 which looks like it's suffered a severe stroke.

I had written "(apart from the fact it's supremely hideous)" but then deleted it! I totally agree that you would not want to spend any time looking at it, but as long as you could locate it and get inside it with your eyes closed, it wouldn't be a bad place to spend some time (apart from people looking at you\the car in disgust).

I am really struggling with the MK2 1 Series too, cos on paper the M135i sounds like the perfect replacement for the S3. But it is really really ugly!

If your spending that much how about an M3, E46 shapes are well within you budget.
Or if you want something fun to drive, get a drift car maybe an RX7 if you can bear the frequent engine rebuilt costs.

I am really struggling with the MK2 1 Series too, cos on paper the M135i sounds like the perfect replacement for the S3. But it is really really ugly!

It is a shame as the 1 saloon 'M' wasn't a bad looking car, but I think if you're going to spend a third of a £100k on a car there is no excuse for it to look as ugly as the new '1er' does. It's the sort of car someone would buy off a company car list just to get some badge logo cred. Anyone walks into a showroom with the sole intention of buying a new '1er' with their own money (and I include the X1 in this) has questionable taste, needs an eye test, the wrong prescription or should be kept in a padded cell!

It is a shame as the 1 saloon 'M' wasn't a bad looking car, but I think if you're going to spend a third of a £100k on a car there is no excuse for it to look as ugly as the new '1er' does. It's the sort of car someone would buy off a company car list just to get some badge logo cred. Anyone walks into a showroom with the sole intention of buying a new '1er' with their own money (and I include the X1 in this) has questionable taste, needs an eye test, the wrong prescription or should be kept in a padded cell!

I know, I know! If the RS3 would just hurry up and depreciate then I could just snaffle one of those!

I know, I know! If the RS3 would just hurry up and depreciate then I could just snaffle one of those!

It won't be far away. Mate has just bought a loaded TTRS for under £30k on 59 plate so your patience will be rewarded!

It won't be far away. Mate has just bought a loaded TTRS for under £30k on 59 plate so your patience will be rewarded!

Hope so :). Apologies to OP for going way off topic..... buy an S3!

AUDI of course whilst the brand still has some cache. Golfs are everywhere and for many just a Ford Focus for badge snobs.

Thank you guys for the great and useful opinions and suggestions! I'm on the way heading towards central London, behind the ****ing traffic light! I'll get back to you once sitting in front of my pc!

Cheers

S3 all the way mate. Audi build quality every time

Yes I agree coz I just had an A3 (115 BHP) now sold it to my bro, even though it was reg. 2004 but you could still tell the quality and permanence!
I bought the car about 6~7 months ago, but sold to my bro coz I was a get bigger engine and of course after some bhp, 170~200

:) Cheers

Ok guys I've finally decided to go for S3 after have a lot of research, but there is a little problem getting insured! Anybody has any idea on how I could possibly get insured for around £1000! I've looked everywhere online, check moneysupermarket, confused, compare and a lot more of these stupid sites, but no luck on getting any quote for less than £2000/year!!!

2000 is quite a lot of money, I also have to spend around 1,600 for the fuel just, apart from all the services and maintenance costs!!!

Any suggestion would be appreciated gratefully :)

Any techniques, tricks, cheats on how to get the insurance cheaper... you probably know what I'm talking about! :)

Unfortunately If I couldn't get a cheaper insurance then I must go for the Quattro S line 170 BHP instead of 265 BHP! :(

I'm 25, 2 year NCD but currenly using it on another policy for my bro (he can't get insured on his own, that's why), no accident, claims, duddgy stuff whatsoever, all clean with clean licence! Maybe this could help

Cheers

Thanks mate! If it was you would you pay 1500 to 2000 for the insurance only! Does it sounds reasonable! Or it's waste of money and I should really be going for the s lines!

Cheers

Tried them all but no luck, they're saying they get back to me ASAP through email!

Also for those of you having S3 reg 2007~2008, how much are you roughly paying for your insurance and who are you insured with?

Cheers

Insured through Admiral, and I'm ~£650 - 26, garaged, clean licence, 3 years NCB

Insured through Admiral, and I'm ~£650 - 26, garaged, clean licence, 3 years NCB

Yes I've tried them already with my 2 years NCB but quotes me around 3k and something!!! Don't know if I'm doing the multi-car insurance or something wrong! But I'm sure that I clicked on single quote insurance and not the multi!

Any idea why!?!

Thanks

£10k seems dodgy, although I know you said you're not buying that one. There's no way I'd be spending that on insurance... were you disqualified or something?

Try Sainsburys insurance. I renewed mine last week on a 2011 S3. £1200 on their premium insurance and thats in North London!! Admittedly 9 years NCB and 34 years old but worth a try

£10k seems dodgy, although I know you said you're not buying that one. There's no way I'd be spending that on insurance... were you disqualified or something?

No mate! As said having a clean licence since 2005, been driving for 7 years and something, no insurance cancelled, no dodgy stuff, no disqualification whatsoever, all clean!

No accident or anything whatsoever! All clean! I live in west London, Ealing.

I just called co-operative insurance, the main one, NOT the (young drivers insurance) and they quote me £2,800/year! 400 desposit and £240 something /month!

Stupid quotes form everywhere! This is my messgae to those ****ing stupid drivers "drive ****ing gently so we wouldnt have to pay over £2000 just for insurance! You ****ing idiots!... just take the ****ing bus..."

I've been calling everywhere to get a cheap quote but they all say it's due to the ****ing stupid accidents that mainly 21s to 26s having....

It seems that I'm not able to get the S3 hence the quotes! :(

Try Sainsburys insurance. I renewed mine last week on a 2011 S3. £1200 on their premium insurance and thats in North London!! Admittedly 9 years NCB and 34 years old but worth a try

Tried them but they can't insure me! Thanks anyway! It seems I may be able to drive one of those S3s by the time I'm 30!

It can't all be down to area... though maybe it is. I guess you'll just have to wait for the S3 and get a GTi to tide you over. What sort of discount can you get for paying lump sum rather than monthly?

Not much difference though! About £200,

I got quote for GTI as well and that's almost around 1,800 monthly installments, or 1650 single payment! I think my only option would be S line 170, what do you think!

Cheers

Just to throw it out there not everyone's cup of tea but the seat leon cupra boasts 240bhp and 34mpg and only insurance group 17 same as the GTI but has more power than the edition 30.

442445cb.jpg

992a0af5.jpg

Not a terrible idea, BBlackburn

Regarding insurance, im 25 and got well under £1k on my 2.0TFSI fully comp ... and my recent record aint great.

Was with Tesco ... a shock.

Re insurance, im 25 and got well under £1k on my 2.0TFSI fully comp ... and my recent record aint great.

Was with Tesco ... a shock.

Sorry mate I've never heard of Re Insurance! Is that a comparison site, insurance company or what?!? Did a quick search but no luck! Or maybe I got you wrong!

Cheers

Updated my post, picky.

Thanks mate! I'd recently tried them but were not able to give me quote! This time they gave me quote of £8,895 single payment or £850 something monthly installments!

That's weird. Can't be that much between it ... oh well. Good luck with the search, insurance is a b*tch

That's weird. Can't be that much between it ... oh well. Good luck with the search, insurance is a b*tch

Yeah true! I remember back in year ago when I was trying to insure my A3 I was given stupid quotes, something around 1,200 to 1,400 for a FSI 1.6 (115 BHP), and I was about to insure with 1,200, but luckily gave Co-op young drivers insurance another try and they quote me £800, saved 400 just by filling the form one more time...

Sounds stupid but yeah it worked for me! But you also need some luck though!!! Which I currently don't! :(