Audi S5 Sound Upgrade Project

perry30sport

Reaction score
So this week project was to upgrade my friends 2016 Adi S5 audio system.

The car had teh Bang & Olufsen system factory fitted and it sounded absolutely terrible and he hated it.

First up was complete strip doen of the car ready for the new equiment. This was door cards off. Rear seats out. rear qaurter panels out. Parcel shelf and c-pillar trims out. Factory B&Oamp removed. Factory parcel shelf subwoofer removed.

We chose to go with Morel speakers all round. Up front a set of the amazing Morel Elate 602 Titanium 2 ways which are £1200 RRP. In the rear we went for more entry level Maximus 602 ways (£250.00 ish). The amplifier of choice was the JL Audio XD700/5 with its optional bass control knob.

Speaker collar adatpors were made from MDF for both front and rear.

Rear quarters and doors were Dynamat sound proofed.

C0mplete parcel shelf was sound proofed ready for the new subwoofer.

Installed the compact XD700/5 amplifer in the original location the B&O amp was removed from as shown.

Custom Fibre-optic interface used to take OE input to RCA for new amplifier keeping all factory PDC, phone etc audio remaining.

Kicker 10" Free Air woofer was installed in factory parcel shelf location.

Morel front and rear speakers installed.

Complete re-assembly fo the car.

A good few hours of tuning and tweaking and all we both said was WOW. What a astonishing difference. the qaulity, the depth and the bass you cam have on demand if you crank up that bass knob can make you feel 18 years old again.

Elate Audi
Elate Audi

MDF COLLARS FRONT
Elate audi 2
Elate audi 2

START OD DYNAMAT AND CHECKING LOACTION FOR THE LARGE CROSSOVER
XD700 Audi

JL AMP IN OE LOCATION

A5 sub

HAVE TO EXCUSE THESE IMAGES AS I COULDNT GET THE IMAGES FROM HIS WHITE S5 SO I USED IMAGES IN LAST A5 I DID WITH SIMILAR SETUP.

AWAITING IMAGES ON REAR SPEAKER INSTALL ALSO

Attachments

• shelfdynamat.jpg
    shelfdynamat.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 399
Reactions: Bdon96, Sc08 LAB, Panduka and 1 other person
Hi @perry30sport, This is a lovely thread. Thanks for all the hard work in putting it all here. I have an S5 4.2ltr V8 from 2007 and am planning to go down the same path of the Audio upgrade..

I have already started looking for the amp and would like to know a few details from you to complete the setup.
I also already have purchased a suitable JL Audio SUB to go with it.

1. Details about the custom FiberOptic to RCA gadgets you used to convert the input ?
2. What did you do with the dash mounted speakers ? the 2 Tweeters on the side and the Center in the middle ?
3. Could you please send me a pic of the current tuning presets of the amplifier ?
4. Did you have any other issues with MMI system when changing the B&O amp to the JL Audio one ? like any interfacing issues ?

Thank you very much again and would love to hear your thoughts and any advice.

Cheers...

Reactions: Bdon96
So this week project was to upgrade my friends 2016 Adi S5 audio system.

The car had teh Bang & Olufsen system factory fitted and it sounded absolutely terrible and he hated it.

First up was complete strip doen of the car ready for the new equiment. This was door cards off. Rear seats out. rear qaurter panels out. Parcel shelf and c-pillar trims out. Factory B&Oamp removed. Factory parcel shelf subwoofer removed.

We chose to go with Morel speakers all round. Up front a set of the amazing Morel Elate 602 Titanium 2 ways which are £1200 RRP. In the rear we went for more entry level Maximus 602 ways (£250.00 ish). The amplifier of choice was the JL Audio XD700/5 with its optional bass control knob.

Speaker collar adatpors were made from MDF for both front and rear.

Rear quarters and doors were Dynamat sound proofed.

C0mplete parcel shelf was sound proofed ready for the new subwoofer.

Installed the compact XD700/5 amplifer in the original location the B&O amp was removed from as shown.

Custom Fibre-optic interface used to take OE input to RCA for new amplifier keeping all factory PDC, phone etc audio remaining.

Kicker 10" Free Air woofer was installed in factory parcel shelf location.

Morel front and rear speakers installed.

Complete re-assembly fo the car.

A good few hours of tuning and tweaking and all we both said was WOW. What a astonishing difference. the qaulity, the depth and the bass you cam have on demand if you crank up that bass knob can make you feel 18 years old again.

View attachment 123928 View attachment 123928
MDF COLLARS FRONTView attachment 123929 View attachment 123929

START OD DYNAMAT AND CHECKING LOACTION FOR THE LARGE CROSSOVER View attachment 123930
JL AMP IN OE LOCATION

View attachment 123932
HAVE TO EXCUSE THESE IMAGES AS I COULDNT GET THE IMAGES FROM HIS WHITE S5 SO I USED IMAGES IN LAST A5 I DID WITH SIMILAR SETUP.

AWAITING IMAGES ON REAR SPEAKER INSTALL ALSO
Could you advise me where to buy the optical to rca adapter?
Much appreciated.
Cheers,
Bdon