SQ5 Audi SQ5 Issues 2020 model

Leebroath

Reaction score
Hey guys, ok starting this thread (documenting), because I believe it may go on for a long time :(

1. Windows Rattling (now fixed with grease)
2. Brake Pedal clicks when lifting off - has been determined as Brake Servo - booked in 10 Aug to check / fix
3. Rubbing / Squealing from brakes when braking - Could be pads, callipers or Disc - booked in 10 Aug to check
4. Tinkling Noise when accelerating at low revs - unknown what this could be? - asking on here first before advising Audi *possibly be injectors, injector seals leaking, heat shield, cam chain tensioner, air fuel mixture*, anyone of these it could be?

Last edited:
Hey guys, ok starting this thread (documenting), because I believe it may go on for a long time :(

2. Brake Pedal clicks when lifting off - has been determined as Brake Servo - booked in 10 Aug to check / fix
3. Rubbing / Squealing from brakes when braking - Could be pads, callipers or Disc - booked in 10 Aug to check
4. Tinkling Noise when accelerating at low revs - unknown what this could be? - asking on here first before advising Audi *injectors, inj seals, heat shield, cam chain tensioner, air fuel mixture*, anyone of these it could be?

Would be interested to know the answer to number 4 above too. My S5 which I think shares the same engine makes a similar noise from low revs and seems to be more noticeable when its cold. Thought it might be timing chain or something similar and was going to ask the dealer to have a look at it

I had the exact same noise many years ago when I had a Citroen Saxo VTR, I tried changing to higher octane fuels which didn’t work and the Citroen dealership ended up saying it’s a “characteristic of the car“

It’s not completely noticeable, but once I heard it that was it, I’m now endlessly listening out for it.

After reading many forum websites, I have never actually managed to find the correct answer to this noise, which reminds me of the old days when a cars Tappets were needing renewed.

Last edited:

4. Tinkling Noise when accelerating at low revs - unknown what this could be? - asking on here first before advising Audi *injectors, inj seals, heat shield, cam chain tensioner, air fuel mixture*, anyone of these it could be?
Several years ago I had the same problem of a “tinkling Noise” on a brand new diesel TT, the Audi technician (who really new his stuff) said it was the the fuel injectors and the noise was completely normal.

Reactions: Leebroath
Yeh I have read some places saying it's normal, thing is I didn't have it with my previous Q5, so why now? :(

Yeh I have read some places saying it's normal, thing is I didn't have it with my previous Q5, so why now? :(
Believe it or not I also had a previous TT diesel which didn’t make this noise, so I mentioned this to the technician. Don’t know how true this was but he said that the injectors were different to the previous model. The noise did bug me for a while then did get used to it!

Just sounds odd doesn’t it when your accelerating, sounds like metal hitting off metal fast and just doesn’t sound right lol

Just sounds odd doesn’t it when your accelerating, sounds like metal hitting off metal fast and just doesn’t sound right lol
I agree, it was the noise during accelerating that made me agree with the technicians diagnosis due to the pressure within the injector during this process.
I thought initially it was a loose heat shield so the technician checked this out for my piece of mind and said it was fine.

I agree, it was the noise during accelerating that made me agree with the technicians diagnosis due to the pressure within the injector during this process.
I thought initially it was a loose heat shield so the technician checked this out for my piece of mind and said it was fine.
Ok I may or may not have the answer, after chatting to someone on FB SQ5 page, who had the same issues.

AB9CB40F 60B3 476E B3E6 9ABE9CED4FBF

64BBD37B 7CD1 4B94 AE30 504C1A567AD1

Last edited:
Ok I may or may not have the answer, after chatting to someone on FB SQ5 page, who had the same issues.

View attachment 240679
Good luck in getting the issue sorted. Let us know how you get on. Just incidentally if your motor is a 20 plate model I would be surprised if the problem is due to parts failure though not impossible.

4. Tinkling Noise when accelerating at low revs - unknown what this could be? - asking on here first before advising Audi *possibly be injectors, injector seals leaking, heat shield, cam chain tensioner, air fuel mixture*, anyone of these it could be?
I have a 2018 SQ5 tfsi (I've owned it since it was 9 months old and its coming to 3 years old now) and have had the following recalls/warranty work done:

1. Extra clips fitted to the rear arches as they could have come loose when driving at high speeds - recall 66k8
2. Brake pedal clicking - replacement servo fixed the issue
3. Steering wheel making squeeking noise - first fix was to grease the steering column, that didn't work so Audi replaced the steering column
4. Software update to the front window regulators - recall 64f6
5. Rust prevention (added extra plastic protection to the underside) - recall 51g5

All of the work was covered under warranty.

Reactions: Leebroath and NevMan
Just out of curiosity, as I’ve purchased a 2020 Audi Used Approved car, does that come with a paintwork guarantee as standard for rust etc?

I had a similar issue with my current Golf (to be replaced by an SQ5 whenever it gets built, sometime next year) and booked it into the dealers for investigation. When I picked it up they said they couldn't find anything wrong, but it never did it again.
Think it might have been a small stone lodged between the caliper and disc.

Have the same low rev "rattle" on acceleration. 2020 SQ5 TDI.
Mechanic said the same as above , normal injector noise??
Have had diesels before that never made injector noise.

Car goes in to Audi Service tomorrow,
1. Rubbing Noise when braking, and brake sensitivity (could be pads, discs or Callipers)
2. Brake Servo checked, carry out repair
3. Metal Tinkling when load is applied to engine, metal rattle around 1500 rpm

I’ll call it now, No 1 and 3 are normal, and the Servo gets renewed.

Wish me luck :)

Car goes in to Audi Service tomorrow,
1. Rubbing Noise when braking, and brake sensitivity (could be pads, discs or Callipers)
2. Brake Servo checked, carry out repair
3. Metal Tinkling when load is applied to engine, metal rattle around 1500 rpm

I’ll call it now, No 1 and 3 are normal, and the Servo gets renewed.

Wish me luck :)
Unfortunately I agree with you.
Just for info I had the clunking noise on my MY17 Q5 which took Audi 2 yrs to find a fix. My new Q5 which is a 20 plate also has this noise though not as loud. Given this was a well known fault I would have thought the modification would have found its way on to later production models. So will be interested in what happens to yours. Can I ask when yours was registered.

Well it went in this morning,

I had to go out with the Tech, and he heard the tinkling of the Engine a good few times, and immediately said it could be something to do with the Injectors. But he also did mention what you told me, he would be surprised if some of those parts mentioned by the FB page were needing renewed for a 2020 model

Also tried to brake to make the rubbing noise sound but couldn't, probably because we had just travelled a good few miles to Audi, but he said the pads etc may just need a clean up, but will be checked over. Never mentioned the sensitivity of the brake though but he will notice when on a test drive.
*Just to add with the courtesy car, when pressing the brake hard, the car slows down fast but gradually, whereas the SQ5 suddenly brakes, when I was coming up to junctions, roundabouts etc, I would press on the brake a few cm's and the car would really hard brake, I got to thinking maybe its because it's an SQ5 and it has some sort of higher rated discs/pads as standard, is this true and does your SQ5 brake really hard?

Lastly nothing was mentioned about the Brake Servo but again its in the work notes, so let's see how long this takes

Just to add, the Tech guy was the person who sorted my Q5 Pano Sunroof after 2 years of them trying to fix it. So I know the guy working on it is good and "should" bring back results.

Well it went in this morning,

I had to go out with the Tech, and he heard the tinkling of the Engine a good few times, and immediately said it could be something to do with the Injectors. But he also did mention what you told me, he would be surprised if some of those parts mentioned by the FB page were needing renewed for a 2020 model

Also tried to brake to make the rubbing noise sound but couldn't, probably because we had just travelled a good few miles to Audi, but he said the pads etc may just need a clean up, but will be checked over. Never mentioned the sensitivity of the brake though but he will notice when on a test drive.
*Just to add with the courtesy car, when pressing the brake hard, the car slows down fast but gradually, whereas the SQ5 suddenly brakes, when I was coming up to junctions, roundabouts etc, I would press on the brake a few cm's and the car would really hard brake, I got to thinking maybe its because it's an SQ5 and it has some sort of higher rated discs/pads as standard, is this true and does your SQ5 brake really hard?

Lastly nothing was mentioned about the Brake Servo but again its in the work notes, so let's see how long this takes

Just to add, the Tech guy was the person who sorted my Q5 Pano Sunroof after 2 years of them trying to fix it. So I know the guy working on it is good and "should" bring back results.
My Q5 is just a regular Q5, my understanding is that the disc’s and pads on the SQ5 are bigger so that braking will definitely be different, to deal with the extra power of the SQ5.

Just thinking about your brakes. The discs on both our Q5’s rust over very quckly after being driven - normally within a couple of hours. Non of our previous Audis have had this broken Or my wife’s current TT. The brakes do grate for a couple of miles and the noise then disappears. I wonder if it’s down to the quality of the discs.

Last edited:
SQ5 has 6 piston callipers on front and much bigger disks, I’d expect it to brake harder and grip faster. Brakes have been very good on mine no issues, unlike my previous Alfa Stelvio with its “brake by wire” system, now that was inconsistent, same pedal pressure/press, sometimes nothing would happen, other times it stood on its nose! Hugely frustrating and quite worrying sometimes.

Ok now got the car back, one of the office guys called.
1. Brake Servo Click from Brake Pedal - It's normal for that model, it's an electronic Servo and you do get that noise from it
2. Brakes rubbing noise - Brakes have been cleaned up, which was also for the sensitivity (so as mentioned before, must be due to type parts used)
3. Tinkling noise from Engine - Part has to be ordered, which is a flex part of the exhaust, this is where they believe the noise is resonating from, when the Revs hit that certain point.

Reactions: Frizzley
Ok now got the car back, one of the office guys called.
1. Brake Servo Click from Brake Pedal - It's normal for that model, it's an electronic Servo and you do get that noise from it
2. Brakes rubbing noise - Brakes have been cleaned up, which was also for the sensitivity (so as mentioned before, must be due to type parts used)
3. Tinkling noise from Engine - Part has to be ordered, which is a flex part of the exhaust, this is where they believe the noise is resonating from, when the Revs hit that certain point.
Thanks for the update, hope the new part works.

I'm not holding my breath, I'm sure this is not just a flex part of the exhaust.

I have heard this before as mentioned, and really think it's just something I may have to live with, which sucks because it makes the car sound crap when accelerating.

Although I have read somewhere that a REMAP could fix the tinkling noise, I may also try the higher octane for a few months to see if that does anything.

I'm not holding my breath, I'm sure this is not just a flex part of the exhaust.

I have heard this before as mentioned, and really think it's just something I may have to live with, which sucks because it makes the car sound **** when accelerating.

Although I have read somewhere that a REMAP could fix the tinkling noise, I may also try the higher octane for a few months to see if that does anything.
Just thinking about away forward for you after the new part is fitted and if things are no better, could you ask the dealership to let you try another SQ5 to see if that vehicle makes the same noise?

Yes I could do no problem,

I had thought about doing that as they said the brake pedal click was normal, so was going to try that out also

Just as a thought, does anyone think using the higher octane diesel at Shell, Esso or BP would help with the pinking noise? And does anyone think we would get more MPG. I’ve mentioned paying an extra £5 due to the higher costs may work out the same if we do get more MPG

Trying to convince the other half, she’s adamant using supermarket fuels are fine to use I.e. Asda, Tesco and Sainsbury’s.

Im not going to change anything until Audi have swapped over the Flex Exhaust part, as that might be the fix and no point in charging fuels

I have heard this before as mentioned, and really think it's just something I may have to live with, which sucks because it makes the car sound **** when accelerating.

Did you have this done in the end and did it fix the issue?

My S5 is booked in for the same thing this Thursday and just had a call from the garage looking for more detail as they apparently have a tech bulletin from Audi regarding this with an accompanying sound file. When the tech read the description from the bulletin to me re Rev range, type of noise , location etc it sounded very similar and according to audi its an engine characteristic and can be heard if the sound insulation between the engine bay , dash and cockpit is not perfect!!

Apologies for the mega late reply, I am still finding these issues:

1. Tinkling (slight metal tapping) noise coming from engine when accelerating in low revs, have changed to Shell/BP fuels (not supermarkets) and this hasn't helped (see picture) Taken from: https://www.bellperformance.com/blog/diagnosing-common-engine-noises
2. Wheels are yet again squealing when braking, send it to Audi who clean them up, then a few months late squealing again
3. Leather on the drivers side seat is creaking when rubbing off the plastic (see picture), we now use a cloth in between to stop the noise.
4. Drivers side door seal was completely changed for new due to a bad creak noise going over bumps, gone for a few months but now returned
5. Still can't get used to that damn click noise when you lift off the brake pedal and you feel it in the pedal, on the odd occasion you also hear a metal ping! I honestly don't think this is normal but Audi said it is.
6. I'll find something else ;)

No. 3 and No. 1

Last edited:
There’s a lengthy thread on one of the American Audi forums re noisy break pedal on a SQ5.

have added the link below if your interested in having a look

When I complained about the click from the Pedal, I then received an Audi Cam clip where guy showed me the Servo on my car was indeed the new type

He explained on camera that the click/ting when lifting off the pedal was normal and all SQ5's have this now, I still need to go and test drive another SQ5 to prove this

When I complained about the click from the Pedal, I then received an Audi Cam clip where guy showed me the Servo on my car was indeed the new type

He explained on camera that the click/ting when lifting off the pedal was normal and all SQ5's have this now, I still need to go and test drive another SQ5 to prove this
Mine (2018 TFSI) makes that sound when I release the brake pedal.

Seems odd why there is a click, does anyone know what is actually happening?

Brake should be smooth when lifting off, the same as when you press it down.

Mine (2018 TFSI) makes that sound when I release the brake pedal.
I have recently had the servo etc replaced on my second Q5 (though not a sq5). Mentioned it to the dealership, agreed it wasn’t right and replacement it under warranty. There is no noise now. If your dealer says it’s normal, we’ll it’s not or why do they replace it. If you get no satisfaction either try another dealership or contact Audi customer services.

Did you have the old Servo and it got replaced for the updated one?

Did you have the old Servo and it got replaced for the updated one?
As far as I am aware it was the old servo replaced with the new one. What I couldn’t understand is if the old style one was known to have issues, why was it fitted to a 20 yr mdoel?

As far as I am aware it was the old servo replaced with the new one. What I couldn’t understand is if the old style one was known to have issues, why was it fitted to a 20 yr mdoel?
What issues is the old style servo known to have, aside from making a clicking noise?

What issues is the old style servo known to have, aside from making a clicking noise?
Basically just clunking/clicking and clanging noises which simply just shouldn’t happen. Non of my previous 10 Audi’s ever did this.

The Audi tech did say I had the new version of the Servo, but I just can't get used to that ****** click, and sometimes a Ting when releasing off the pedal

Should be a smooth break, then lift off with ease

The Audi tech did say I had the new version of the Servo, but I just can't get used to that ****** click, and sometimes a Ting when releasing off the pedal

Should be a smooth break, then lift off with ease
I find that if I lift off the pedal smoothly, it doesn't ting. When it does, it's a mild irritant and no more. As my car isn't under warranty, replacing the servo simply to eradicate a noise makes no sense.

No such issues with 'my' 2016 8R version of the SQ5, happy to say. In fact, other than a slight panoroof 'creak' and that easily sorted, no issues at all! Guess I'll be staying 8R TDi SQ5.

Reactions: jdp1962
Apologies for the mega late reply, I am still finding these issues:

1. Tinkling (slight metal tapping) noise coming from engine when accelerating in low revs, have changed to Shell/BP fuels (not supermarkets) and this hasn't helped (see picture) Taken from: https://www.bellperformance.com/blog/diagnosing-common-engine-noises
2. Wheels are yet again squealing when braking, send it to Audi who clean them up, then a few months late squealing again
3. Leather on the drivers side seat is creaking when rubbing off the plastic (see picture), we now use a cloth in between to stop the noise.
4. Drivers side door seal was completely changed for new due to a bad creak noise going over bumps, gone for a few months but now returned
5. Still can't get used to that damn click noise when you lift off the brake pedal and you feel it in the pedal, on the odd occasion you also hear a metal ping! I honestly don't think this is normal but Audi said it is.
6. I'll find something else ;)

No. 3 and No. 1
View attachment 255585View attachment 255586
Regarding the “tinkling”. Maybe talking ******** but I have heard of cars have a tinkling from the turbo waste gate linkage.
View attachment 255813