Audi still cheating?

I work in the Auto industry including having worked for a VWG Brand, and I preface this with I don't condone anything.

Any publicly traded company is going to do just enough to meet legislative requirements of it. The EU says a car must pass emissions tests to a certain level (EU5, EU6 etc.) on a rolling road, manufacturers pass this. They can't call a test for comparitive performance and may perform differently in real world useage and then complain that they perform differently in real world useage.

Buses and lorries produce far more **** and are far more deterimental to public health but no ones crying about them giving kids asthma.

Reactions: richinsoton, RSS-S3, Daytonapig and 3 others
And I read recently that inspectors are going into the Vauxhall factory again as they are not satisfied they are acting quickly enough to deal with Zafiras and Corsas which allegedly burst into flames. I sometimes think there are groups out there that just don't like the car industry. :gun2:

Diesel's days are numbered.

These scandals and the planned banning in major cities will probably see sales drop considerably over the next few years.

Reactions: RSS-S3 and Audi Bairn
Diesel's days are numbered.

These scandals and the planned banning in major cities will probably see sales drop considerably over the next few years.
Presumably the ban in cities will also include all buses, coaches, vans and lorries, nearly all of which use diesel engines. A much more intelligent approach would be to use the German model which only allow vehicles that meet the latest EU6 standard to got into large towns and cities.

If all diesel engine vehicles are banned and petrol is used instead what will happened to the C02 emissions? Diesel engines still produce less C02 than petrol engines. One day perhaps electric vehicles will replace both, but then we will need more power stations to cope with the demand and no doubt they will produce more C02. I don't think anyone has come up with a good solution as yet.

Reactions: richinsoton, Audi Bairn and WarwickL
The CO2 level tax is just a cloaked Envy tax to charge those who can afford more powerful new cars.

Carcinogenic and Teratogenic conjugate's of Benzenes and NOx/ SOx that Diesels produce are far more dangerous. However, nobody is emotive enough to pay increased tax to drive a f**king diesel rep-mobile so they leave them largely alone. They tax the hell out of big power petrol's instead as these are purchased by enthusiasts who will pay.

AND don't get me started on Buses.... Rarely anybody on them, those that are generally don't need to be anywhere on time or they wouldn't ******* use a Bus, so why do we have Bus lanes?? - ARGGGHHH!

Reactions: Audi Bairn and lledwoc
The CO2 level tax is just a cloaked Envy tax to charge those who can afford more powerful new cars.

Carcinogenic and Teratogenic conjugate's of Benzenes and NOx/ SOx that Diesels produce are far more dangerous. However, nobody is emotive enough to pay increased tax to drive a f**king diesel rep-mobile so they leave them largely alone. They tax the hell out of big power petrol's instead as these are purchased by enthusiasts who will pay.

AND don't get me started on Buses.... Rarely anybody on them, those that are generally don't need to be anywhere on time or they wouldn't ******* use a Bus, so why do we have Bus lanes?? - ARGGGHHH!

Just yes! Exactly

Presumably the ban in cities will also include all buses, coaches, vans and lorries, nearly all of which use diesel engines. A much more intelligent approach would be to use the German model which only allow vehicles that meet the latest EU6 standard to got into large towns and cities.

If all diesel engine vehicles are banned and petrol is used instead what will happened to the C02 emissions? Diesel engines still produce less C02 than petrol engines. One day perhaps electric vehicles will replace both, but then we will need more power stations to cope with the demand and no doubt they will produce more C02. I don't think anyone has come up with a good solution as yet.

It is possible to power everything we have with electric (barring rockets) there is just no commercial, political will to do so. You can get a lorry to run on electric, but to do current range it would impact significantly on payload if you kept the same axle limits, vice versa if you want payload vs range.

By the same measure we can generate all the electric we need from wind, solar, tidal. But there's no will to do so from both a political and commercial point of view. And no I'm not a eco mentalist I just think we've got to be better than burning Dino juice. It's not impossible or even an engineering challenge it just comes down to money and for vested interests the lost of money.

Reactions: nervus and Martinbanshee

If we are not careful our planet would be a healthier place to live if it still existed.
AdBlue additive that is used in most modern diesels and this with the ‘Selective Catalyst Reduction’ (SCR) technology converts 80% of the NOx to harmless nitrogen and water. It is the older diesels, especially those in older buses that produce most of the NOx. As I said in my previous post, BAN all vehicles from towns and cities that do not meet the EU6 standards.

Reactions: richinsoton and nervus
If people stopped buying new cars as frequently as they do then lots less emissions in the air...........lights touch paper and runs :)

TBH the world doesn't give a stuff about emissions (airline's have tax free fuel, Trump has appointed a coal advocate etc etc) as there is too much money involved. The world will only change when it has to or fuel gets too expensive.

Reactions: richinsoton, Martinbanshee and nervus