IPG

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just posting an update here with an Instrument Cluster mod which i'm sure many have seen on the gen1 platforms. I have decided to bite the bullet and go ahead with the experiment in the 8J / PQ35 platform with ColourMFA.

We'll start with the teardown of the TT 8J cluster. Just do you have a good understanding of what's in there and what needs removal if you were to do this mod.

Now onto an overview of the installation into the Mk2 instrument cluster. All this needs is time, attention to detail and some finesse so you don't break components in your instrument cluster.

I have plannted to make this mod "reversible" so everything you see is replacable, back to the original setup (either red or white FIS screen). I will update this post once i've created the step-by-step installation guide.

This will be compatible with the all the 8J range - TT, TTS, TT 3.2, TT TDI and TTRS. Enjoy!

Nice, just curious if the firmware needs a rewrite to run the screen & what was causing all those errors?

There is a specific firmware for the TT 8J/8P which flips the image upside down so all the important information fits well when mounted. There have been about 3 updates for this platform since I started trying to make it work last year.

Apart from the red coolant error (which corrected itself) the other two errors were genuine. Low fuel from... low fuel and the AFS headlight error was from me thinking I had dodgy wiring from the retrofit but, really, I had forgotten to replace a 5a fuse for the range control module (or ballast - I forget) which killed the whole self levelling/AFS function.
Fixed those, cleared the AFS error through ColourMFA and the dash is “clean”.

Reactions: NHN