Audi TT flat bottom steering wheel on a A3 8p

Madushka

Reaction score
Hi, I want to change my current steering wheel from my a3 8p which is a four spoke wheel to an Audi TT flat bottom steering wheel. I want to know whether it would fit, such as thee air bag and stuff. So if someone could help me, I be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210609-085443.jpg
    Screenshot_20210609-085443.jpg
    476.3 KB · Views: 288
Plug and play swap

Wouldn’t there be a limit as to which years (of car manufactured) would be compatible?
Or are you saying any TT steering wheel would fit on any 8P (is that 2006 - 2012?) ?

Cheers,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wouldn’t there be a limit as to which years (of car manufactured) would be compatible?
Or are you saying any TT steering wheel would fit on any 8P (is that 2006 - 2012?) ?

Cheers,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All the tt 8j airbags are dual stage. Most of the a3 8p airbags are dual with the exception of those ugly early ones from 2004 which are single. That changed as of 2005, so the vast majority of 8p's are compatible with 8j airbags.

Reactions: bronco
All the tt 8j airbags are dual stage. Most of the a3 8p airbags are dual with the exception of those ugly early ones from 2004 which are single. That changed as of 2005, so the vast majority of 8p's are compatible with 8j airbags.

Good to know, thank you !

Like sam is telling you; plug and play. Did this to mine too as the TT flatbottoms are cheaper then the 8P one's (here in Holland tho.. )

Hi guys, I have a similar question but I'm looking at the following custom made wheel:

I've got an Audi A3 8p 3 spoke wheel (see pic below). Would this just be a case of fitting my existing airbag straight into the new wheel? And as it's the existing airbag being used, it wouldn't need coding etc?

Attachments

• 20210725_131313.jpg
    20210725_131313.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 183
Hi guys, I have a similar question but I'm looking at the following custom made wheel:

I've got an Audi A3 8p 3 spoke wheel (see pic below). Would this just be a case of fitting my existing airbag straight into the new wheel? And as it's the existing airbag being used, it wouldn't need coding etc?

thats exactly the same wheel and airbag as your current one. its not a real flatbottom.
the real flatbottom wheels from the s3 and tt 8j are nicer in my opinion, especially the airbag.
there is no coding needed for either.

thats exactly the same wheel and airbag as your current one. its not a real flatbottom.
the real flatbottom wheels from the s3 and tt 8j are nicer in my opinion, especially the airbag.
there is no coding needed for either.

Do you mean the real flat bottoms have round airbags instead of D shaped? My main thing is just wanting a flat bottom wheel, plus I think it works out a bit cheaper this way. If I was to buy the real flat bottom with circle shaped centre, I'd have to buy a new airbag which is quite pricey... what you reckon?

I was thinking it may need coding if I'm buying a new airbag? So it would just be straight plug and play if I switched from D shaped airbag to round airbag?

Do you mean the real flat bottoms have round airbags instead of D shaped? My main thing is just wanting a flat bottom wheel, plus I think it works out a bit cheaper this way. If I was to buy the real flat bottom with circle shaped centre, I'd have to buy a new airbag which is quite pricey... what you reckon?

yes the real ones have the round airbags.

it works out slighytly cheaper on a pure cost basis, but you get a frankenstein wheel (theres no factory flatbottom with the airbag you have), looks uglier, resale value will be peanuts, and the circle airbag wheel isnt much more, around £350 to £400 for the wheel and airbag. youll also have your old wheel and airbag to sell to reclaim some money back.

its straight plug and play. no coding at all as long as youre going from like to like. eg. if the new wheel has buttons on it for the radio etc and your current one doesnt, then youll need extra work. but just swapping the airbag is plug and play

Agreed, I think the round airbags do look a lot bettter. So I've found an original flat bottom wheel with circular fitting and the below airbag.

Just want to check if both of these are correct and compatible?

yes to the wheel, no to the airbag.
that airbag is single stage. you need dual stage.

my advise, go for a wheel and airbag combo.
for some reason airbags alone go for £300. combos arent much more, so makes more sense to get them together.

Last edited:
It does say on the airbag listing: "Genuine original dual stage airbag". Do you think this is a mistake in the description?

I've already bought the wheel on its own now! :/ The seller offered me it for £110 so I went for it!

The seller just confirmed the airbag has 3 yellow plugs which makes it dual stage. Single stage apparently only have 2 - is this correct?

I see the other yellow plug now.
The fitment is wrong as well. Compare the back of the airbag with the one I linked to.

Yeah that would've fit, it's sold now unless you bought it. But then it's 300,so a total of 410, and the steering wheel you bought is tatty.

Id go for the wheel combo I linked to earlier. Its 380 odd, and the wheel looks to be in better condition

Yeah that would've fit, it's sold now unless you bought it. But then it's 300,so a total of 410, and the steering wheel you bought is tatty.

Id go for the wheel combo I linked to earlier. Its 380 odd, and the wheel looks to be in better condition
Wish I'd have gone for combo now as it was in better condition, but too late as I already bought the wheel. I got the airbag on offer at £260 so it cost £380 in total. Thanks for your help. Just need someone to fit it now! Anyone in the Yorkshire area you know of?

It's easy to do. Literally 3 bolts.

Disconnect the battery, take off the airbag via 2 torx screws at the back.
An spline (m10?) bolt holding the wheel one.
Fit the new one.

Seems pretty straight forward, I'll have a go at it. I've ordered the spline. Thanks for your help, appreciate it.