Audi TTS Rear Brake Disc Replacement

Quad-pilot

Reaction score
I've lost a few hours searching various Audi forums today trying to establish if you need to remove the carriers to replace the rear discs on a 2011 Audi TTS. It seems the removal of carriers is at best difficult due to the lack of easy access and limited leverage required to undo the splined bolts holding the carrier in place. Many Audi TT owners believe the discs can be replaced without removing the carriers, while others say they can't be due to lack of clearance, but very few articles are specific to the TTS anyway.

Does anyone know the correct answer, assuming the replacement discs are an exact match or OEM parts ?

If the carriers do have to be removed, please can someone help advise whether this is really that difficult, and any tips on removing the splined carrier bolts ?

Thanks.

I'd be interested too as my V6 could due with new discs. Does the TTS have the same 310mm discs?

I've heard it's harder on Quattro cars such as the TTS and V6, as the driveshafts restrict space. I had a look last week and the bolts look pretty corroded too.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yes the TTS has 310mm discs - I also heard Quatro cars are more difficult and I assumed as it is even harder to get access to the carrier bolts. One of the reasons I would prefer not to have to remove the carriers.

According to 3 local brake fitting garages the carrier does need to be removed on the TTS - in fact their general view is that very few cars can have disc replacement without removing the carrier.

I didn’t need to remove the carriers on the rear of my A3. I acknowledge that the discs are only 255mm diameter on my car but my own observation was that the ease of changing them was due to the wide jaw on the TRW/Lucas calliper rather than the disc diameter.