Audi vs Mercedes

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anyone else thought Mercedes are starting to offer better cars for the price?

I have a S3 and looking at the C43 amg it seems have nicer interior, proper panaromic roof and same power as the RS3 but with better spec for like for like price?

C43 sound much meaner with all the amg sound with pop and crackle. I was wondering if audi is getting more expensive and bit behind?

Wanted to share the thoughts that came to mind someone prove me wrong please lol

Reactions: Jassyo06
In the case of c43 vs rs3 I think it's the rs3's engine your paying for. Also is the interior really nicer in the Mercedes?? I don't think so. The seats are more supportive but quality wise the Audi wins I think. I like the a45 facelift but with the saloons the Audi wins for me. I have an s3 sport back btw.

Reactions: RSS-S3, TDI-line, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
I also have the sunroof and do agree the Mercedes is bigger but I'm happy with mine.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Have Mercedes still got the after thought screen on the newest models? Looks like they built the car then realised it didn't have one so stuck one to the dash.

Reactions: batch, TDI-line and Audi Bairn
I am guessing it's down to opinions as well, I was just thinking even on the bigger models like a7 and a8 the roofs are so tiny compared to what Mercedes do. The Amg exhaust seems to provide very nice sounds compared to the S3?

Don't waste your money mate.

Reactions: TDI-line and Jassyo06
Someone on here switched over to a Merc a few months back, then sold it on after a few weeks!

Reactions: pburv and Audi Bairn
By end of this year I am looking at upgrading to the audi S7 or the RS3 Saloon, but while doing my reasearch Mercedes seemed to offer nicer spec and features or maybe that is just not true.

Last edited:
Reactions: TDI-line, pburv, Audi Bairn and 1 other person
Someone on here switched over to a Merc a few months back, then sold it on after a few weeks!
I think three people have bought and sold them, they look and sound good but you need to test drive one.

Reactions: TDI-line, pburv and AJ Jacob
Found the thread http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/collected-the-s3-replacement.290844/

He got bored quickly :D

"well just over a week owning the A45 i can honestly say i want my S3 back !

A45 looks great etc but does not give me the driving satisfaction the s3 did, granted the s3 was apr stage 2 but even in standard format i think the s3 was just the better car."

I think three people have bought and sold them, they look and sound good but you need to test drive one.

Seems that is the case, i might just test drive one to prove myself wrong lol!

I test drove a c43 amg, it was okay. I didn't think it sounded that nice. Deffiently nothing on the rs3. Interior is nice, but I wouldn't say it's better, the media unit hasn't got anything on Audi. Just seems cheaply put together and doesn't look expensive.

And saying that the s5 was cheaper than the c43 when I got quotes a few months ago.

I test drove one and never gave it a second thought once I got out.

I've ordered an s3

Reactions: Audi Bairn, AJ Jacob and Tom.H
Have Mercedes still got the after thought screen on the newest models? Looks like they built the car then realised it didn't have one so stuck one to the dash.

It was so bad, Audi have started to copy it :welcoming::welcoming:

Seriously though, not too sure what the OP is expecting to achieve here. There might be some measured responses but mostly not I think.

Sort of thing you'll get here, some buy Audi's then think, nice interior but the cars sooo dull. Then change to something else.

If you really want to consider the Mercs, go have a look for yourself, it's the only way. The cabins aren't quite upto the Audi standard for the most but they are certainly more interesting. It's about whatever floats your boat. If you don't like the 'ipad' screens then you'll possibly find yourself stuck in the lower ranges Audi offer in the future.

Reactions: Glasgoe Joe
Like every car its all subjective....And NO, l would'nt give a Mercedes Driveway room

Reactions: Audi Bairn, MattSedg, THQuattro and 1 other person
I test drove both a C43 and a C43 Coupé before getting the S3. They are big, soft, slow cars. The transmission in Sport+ is vastly slower than the Audi DSG. They sound decent but inside it's completely fake sound. I used to have a C350 Sport and that was a much nicer vehicle from a sportiness perspective than the current C43 which is just last years C400 with a different badge (it is NOT a "real" AMG; it is equivalent to an A4 in my mind).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Two things pushed me away from the merc. Firstly image, I think they look a bit chavy tbh. Secondly those stupid infotainment screens with the huge bessel around them look top off an interior design that looks a bit fisher price to my eyes at least.

Just my two pence worth:
A3 vs A-Class
After test driving both, I found the s-tronic box just a lot more smoother and efficient. The A-class I test drove, had a tendency to rev between gears and took longer to change. That did it for me, the whole driving experience was simply not the same. Steering felt less involving too.

As for looks, the A-class looked really good. Especially the dark grey metallic paint. And the interior had a really slick look. Lots of carbon and shiny bits. Personal preference on that, some may think that looks a bit chavvy. But I do agree on the iPad screen that looks like it's been mounted as an after thought, horrid in comparison to the A3's foldaway screen. Add in the VirtualCockpit, and it's win win win for the Audi.

Edit: Sorry can't comment on the more powerful car comparisons. But I did test an S3, and it was awesome. I just do too many commuting miles, otherwise I would love to have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally thinks Mercedes interiors are crap. once sat in a A45 AMG and couldn't help but notice all the cheap plastics, on pieces of the dash and doors.... the seats were nice ... but for 40k+ i though that was a terrible effort!

Audis interiors are well know for being the best in the buisness, in terms of ergonomics and quality.

The 5 pot 2.5TFSI engine is worth every penny for the RS3 its a seriously characterful engine! Certainly will be my next Audi!

Reactions: Flying Scotsman and batch
C43 is a barge!
Might as well put some nice seats in a vauxhall omega and tape an ipad to the dash :)

Reactions: Joe4842, Jassyo06, phobos512 and 1 other person
I personally don't like the A45 AMG's interior but I found it far better than the S3 or RS3 dynamically.
But buying a car has many considerations to be taken into account, I bought an S3.

Go try the various cars if you're in the market, there's no doubt that value for money the Focus RS would be at the top of my list. But that's my list and I still wouldn't buy one for other reasons.

C43 is a barge!
Might as well put some nice seats in a vauxhall omega and tape an ipad to the dash :)

MK1 MV6 was quite good fun though, so long as you were home before it got dark - the headlights were hopeless.

In the case of c43 vs rs3 I think it's the rs3's engine your paying for. Also is the interior really nicer in the Mercedes?? I don't think so. The seats are more supportive but quality wise the Audi wins I think. I like the a45 facelift but with the saloons the Audi wins for me. I have an s3 sport back btw.
Got to agree the Merc's interior looks a bit dated to me and I don't think it would age well.

A car choice is truly subjective. Yes, I look at the outside and interior for looks and quality but the deal sealer is how does it feel to drive for my usage. If I was looking for a track or hell for leather cornering car and screw the comfort I would not have ordered an S3
What did I like about the S3, adequate power, well finished, no stuck on Ipod, no in your face boy racer looks, compact size, 4 year warranty, brilliant DSG transmission and sleeper looks. There were some perceived minuses... steering feel and feedback, suspension could be better, a too large grille area and pricey options.
There are a lot of good cars out there, buy what suits your needs, desires and/or possible ego stroking.

My wife has a Mercedes, and I have an Audi, so I can give a direct comparison of the 2. They are both nice cars for what they are intended. In my opininion, the Mercedes is a comfortable car that has a touch of sporty to it, whereas the Audi is a more sporty car that has the comfort stuff added. If you like engaged driving, you will probably prefer the Audi. If you like the heavier softer feel, then the Mercedes would be a good choice. For reference, I am comparing an A3 to a C Class coupe......

Got to agree the Merc's interior looks a bit dated to me and I don't think it would age well.

Yeah and the chrome sparkle grille on the FauxMG models I can't see that aging well either. And the salesdude was so proud of the chromed plastic, poor guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Milnesafc
Asking on an Audi forum if either Audi or Merc ???
Try the same thread on a Merc forum and it will mirror this.
We love Audi's on here

btw the satnav on Mercs looks like its an afterthought :D

Reactions: phobos512, THQuattro and Bristle Hound
This thread was purely to gather what other thoughts on how Mercedes seems to have bigger and showier options. Especially the amg line and bigger sun roofs etc.

I agree I love my s3 but sometimes feel Audi could have done a better job like proper exhaust and a proper panaromic roof!!

Reactions: steeve
This thread was purely to gather what other thoughts on how Mercedes seems to have bigger and showier options. Especially the amg line and bigger sun roofs etc.

I agree I love my s3 but sometimes feel Audi could have done a better job like proper exhaust and a proper panaromic roof!!

Conservative's the word your looking for

Asking on an Audi forum if either Audi or Merc ???
Try the same thread on a Merc forum and it will mirror this.
We love Audi's on here

btw the satnav on Mercs looks like its an afterthought :D
Beat me to it @voorhees ! :thumbs up:

Reactions: voorhees
I have had my s3 for 18months now and have now placed an order for a c63s coupe for the summer. I considered the c43 for a couple of minutes but the farting sound is boring now and it doesn't have the arches or aggressive styling as the c63. The c43 is more comparable to the s5 and the rs3 more to the a45 and each scenario i would prefer the audi but after 6.5 years with audi/vw i fancied a change. bmw m3/4 interior is horrible and lacks the sound. i have never really liked the rs5 and the new rs4 does not seem to be available in time for when i need so it left me with c63s coupe vs a used rs6 and i know in 9/10 factors the rs6 is better than the c63 but for several other reasons i chose the merc. Interior wise i know audi is a nicer place to be but i'm looking forward to the change. I will most probably be back into the c8 rs6 after the c63 but for now it's an itch i need to scratch.

I have had my s3 for 18months now and have now placed an order for a c63s coupe for the summer. I considered the c43 for a couple of minutes but the farting sound is boring now and it doesn't have the arches or aggressive styling as the c63. The c43 is more comparable to the s5 and the rs3 more to the a45 and each scenario i would prefer the audi but after 6.5 years with audi/vw i fancied a change. bmw m3/4 interior is horrible and lacks the sound. i have never really liked the rs5 and the new rs4 does not seem to be available in time for when i need so it left me with c63s coupe vs a used rs6 and i know in 9/10 factors the rs6 is better than the c63 but for several other reasons i chose the merc. Interior wise i know audi is a nicer place to be but i'm looking forward to the change. I will most probably be back into the c8 rs6 after the c63 but for now it's an itch i need to scratch.

What do you think of how you will deal with all that power and no 4WD. The only reason I looked at c43 was due to 4WD without 4WD I won't even bother looking at any of those machines with 300+ Bhp as it would be death trap!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom.H
I have driven a few new mercs and i thought the interior was much better in pics than reality. The CLA i had (same interior as the A i think) was truly awful. Like sub ford, vauxhall quality amd finish. And the fact that they make everything work different to everybody else gets on my nerves

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

What do you think of how you will deal with all that power and no 4WD. The only reason I looked at c43 was due to 4WD without 4WD I won't even bother looking at any of those machines with 300+ Bhp as it would be death trap!!!

AJ....not a death trap, it may require a skilled driver who understands the limits and advantages and disadvantages of rear wheel drive over 4WD and front wheel drive

AJ....not a death trap, it may require a skilled driver who understands the limits and advantages and disadvantages of rear wheel drive over 4WD and front wheel drive

Bit damp and you are not gonna be able to put that power down no matter how good you are. 4WD will beat you off the line

I drove one of the baby mercs recently, can't remember the model but it had a horrible gear change on the steering column, more interesting though it's the first car I've ever been in with a spongy 'carbon fibre' dash. Yuk. It was towards the budget end but even so!!!!!