Audi VW Charge Cooler, is this the next scandal?

David Thrush

Reaction score
I read with interest on the T6 forum another T6 owner having a charge cooler issue, he had been into Coventry Listers VW…….
I will just say before I start I have an ongoing legal battle and have been through the TMO over this, and will not be getting into he said she said on here, however…….
I was sat at Listers Coventry Audi on the same day as the T6 guy just I’ve a week ago, 8 days actually, we have had starting issues with our leased Car a 2018 Allroad 2.0 Tdi bi turbo for 2 years that Shytner Leicester Audi and Listers Coventry Audi had overlooked, and just fobbed us off, only my opinion.
Long cranking times especially first thing, rough start up car shaking, white smoke out of exhaust, gradually getting worse, 2 years I know!
EGR was changed at 18,000 at first service, we were not told DPF had been changed as not the owner, issues with starting at 19,000 a month later, July 2019.
We had noticed coolant loss over this time, cooling fans running on every journey, even very short school runs, fans running 20-30 minutes constantly, all well reported many times.
Jan 2021 another service, Coventry dealer confirms pressure tested coolant leaking but we can’t find a leak, coolant below the minimum again, topped up an inch over the maximum by the dealer again.
Skip to June 28th 2021, first MOT due, took the car a week early and had a health check, coolant leak confirmed again, but they can’t find the leak……
I insisted they looked harder, as the warranty runs out in a week, and said surely if it not leaking out it’s leaking in somewhere?
I was there 4.5 hours in total, but they did confirm charge cooler, £1,480 normally but under warranty £1,152.18.
I started doing a bit of my own research and found Audi and VW have had a fix for this a replacement part since 2019.
This being the case, why are we all being fobbed off!
I asked what the pathway was for the leaking coolant, oh inlet turbos bores exhaust….. everything really, 16,000 since starting issues well reported in 2019.
Called a local independent in Leicester, told them starting symptoms first just to see what they said, they said common fault charge cooler leaking mate, took him 20 seconds over the phone?
Indi said potential catastrophic engine failure could occur now, no ****!!!
£4,000 for a secondhand engine if it fails out of warranty!
Tell tale if your fans run after every journey regardless how short, you may have coolant residue in the DPF, so the sensors put the car into regeneration, also well reported over the past 2 years.
The car is at the dealers today having the charge cooler changed, we left the keys, and the lease has been terminated a year early, I will leave it there for legal reasons, but we will not be driving it again!
Old leaking cooler part number 04L 129 711 T, replacement part number 04L 129 711 AE
Our 2019 69 T6 has the same engine, different part numbers to Audi, old number 04L 145 749 L, replacement 04L 145 749 M.
Check under your engine cover if you have the same symptoms, easy to do.
If a replacement has been available since 2019, they all know unless they have been on Mars for 2 years???
My T6 has the M code thank god.
Good luck everyone, I really mean that