Audio issues

cheeta

Reaction score
Hi guys, i want to apologize for making a new thread about this, but it would be really helpful. I have an a3 from 1997 and atm im re-doing the headliner and side door cloth thingies, and i noticed my rear speakers don't work at all after changing to a new stereo unit (Pioneer MVH-S100UBA) i've seen on other posts that i would need an ISO adapter for it? And also a question i saw other people having factory subs in the trunk side panneling, i checked for mine but it's not there? Now i don't know whether i had Bose system or not car as we bought it came with Focal speakers and also swapped stereo unit.. Any help im thankful for. If picture needed i'll post it. Thanks.

The rear speakers on the A3/S3 are run by an amplifier. The amplifier has to receive the correct signals. Are you sure you used the correct adapter harness when you installed the new headunit? They are different for Bose or normal systems. If you look in the opposite side panel in the boot to where the sub would be, there’s normally a small metal Bose amplifier. If you’ve not got that, you probably have the standard setup.

Did your rear speakers work prior to changing the headunit?

Umm i dont think they did if i remember correctly. The car was bought in 2008 some girl driven, and i think the car didn't come with the factory stereo unit, all i know is there is a bunch of wiring left from a old stereo seen some wires spliced into some others so i don't want to touch that till im certain what is what. I used the Pioneers adapter/harness that came with the stereo. I checked left panel and since the sub wasn't there i assumed my car has no sub. Will check other side when i catch some time. So in the standard setup there is no sub or is it? And if the amp is by BOSE then i get the adapter for BOSE setup right?
And i think the rears were working when the car was bought but later on dad switched the stereo and i belive since then the speakers stopped working.

The standard audio setup still had a subwoofer in the left hand compartment. It had one speaker in it with the Audi four rings logo built into the grille (see below).

B1259730-497-F-4016-AD47-E582624-D6-C2-C.jpg

The Bose system had the subwoofer in the same place but had two speakers built into it, a silver Bose sticker on the side, and an embossed Bose logo on the plastic. The interior speaker grilles also had the Bose logo on too and when you turned on the factory headunit it also said ‘Bose’. The amplifier for this system was in the opposite cubby hole in the boot -it’s a small black metal amplifier.

6-FD5191-E-33-CD-4-EDF-9359-E3787-D303-ABA.jpg

If you have a missing subwoofer there should be a dangly plug which should be plugged into it. Post a photo of that and we can tell you if it was connected to a normal or Bose subwoofer.

Alright well here are the pictures.. Couldn't find the Amp at all or the speakers unless the were under those fenders.. And the radio situation. Should i just buy both ISO adapters and pray either on ewill work, or what.. Im confused to be honest. The bunch of free wiring is from and old stereo i think.

Attachments

• 20210708_065525.jpg
    20210708_065525.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 81
  • 20210708_071409.jpg
    20210708_071409.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 81
  • 20210708_071414.jpg
    20210708_071414.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 80
  • 20210708_071457.jpg
    20210708_071457.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 86
  • 20210708_071501.jpg
    20210708_071501.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 79
  • 20210708_071520.jpg
    20210708_071520.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 81
  • 20210708_073235.jpg
    20210708_073235.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 82
  • 20210708_073243.jpg
    20210708_073243.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 74
  • 20210708_073253.jpg
    20210708_073253.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 74
The standard audio setup still had a subwoofer in the left hand compartment. It had one speaker in it with the Audi four rings logo built into the grille (see below).

The Bose system had the subwoofer in the same place but had two speakers built into it, a silver Bose sticker on the side, and an embossed Bose logo on the plastic. The interior speaker grilles also had the Bose logo on too and when you turned on the factory headunit it also said ‘Bose’. The amplifier for this system was in the opposite cubby hole in the boot -it’s a small black metal amplifier.

If you have a missing subwoofer there should be a dangly plug which should be plugged into it. Post a photo of that and we can tell you if it was connected to a normal or Bose subwoofer.
I posted pics, idk if you saw them but basically i couldn't find anything. So should i just buy an adapter and hope for the best?

It looks to me as though your car didn’t have the Bose setup. If your head unit wiring has been butchered in the past you might have difficulty getting a ‘plug and play’ harness adapter to work. Why not buy both, try them carefully and if they don’t work, return them to the shop? Failing that, you might need an audio/auto-electrician to help.

It looks to me as though your car didn’t have the Bose setup. If your head unit wiring has been butchered in the past you might have difficulty getting a ‘plug and play’ harness adapter to work. Why not buy both, try them carefully and if they don’t work, return them to the shop? Failing that, you might need an audio/auto-electrician to help.
Seems like that's im gonna try and do, sadly in my city we have no audio technicians unfortunately. Closest one is like 70km's away.. Thanks for the help.

as far as I know there is an even smaller sound package on prefacelift A3 models which had nokia speakers, no rear speakers and no sub... had this system in my A3 1997 a long time ago. And for OP since you have a FWD model you dont need anymacs stealth sub box you can fit the 8" sub box from basser if you ever decide to upgrade your system :).

as far as I know there is an even smaller sound package on prefacelift A3 models which had nokia speakers, no rear speakers and no sub... had this system in my A3 1997 a long time ago. And for OP since you have a FWD model you dont need anymacs stealth sub box you can fit the 8" sub box from basser if you ever decide to upgrade your system :).
Think i might just order the basser box, since it doesn't fiddle with trunk space and is minimalistic looking. Though if i get an 4channel amp i can wire the rear speakers and sub into it right or can i rewire front rear and sub to an amp? Will i still need those Pc9 adapters?

Reactions: Farmor00
Think i might just order the basser box, since it doesn't fiddle with trunk space and is minimalistic looking. Though if i get an 4channel amp i can wire the rear speakers and sub into it right or can i rewire front rear and sub to an amp? Will i still need those Pc9 adapters?
Most likely the power output required for the sub wont match the rear speakers. Rear speakers are 6.5" and front are 5.25" basser box is 8". Id recommend go with a high output stereo like the sony 4x100w and a mono amp for the sub or a 4channel amp for all the speakers and a separate mono amp for the sub. Ive personally had both these setups in my S3 and there are pros and cons to both but I would not run rear speakers on the sub amp...

Most likely the power output required for the sub wont match the rear speakers. Rear speakers are 6.5" and front are 5.25" basser box is 8". Id recommend go with a high output stereo like the sony 4x100w and a mono amp for the sub or a 4channel amp for all the speakers and a separate mono amp for the sub. Ive personally had both these setups in my S3 and there are pros and cons to both but I would not run rear speakers on the sub amp...
Damn.. and i wanted to keep it somewhat within a budget. I found Alpine SWG-844 and Alpine BBX-F1200 amp i don't need like a super good sound system this is just for now because atm i have only 2 speakers and it's all vocals constantly. Atm i have the Pioneer MVh s100ub. Oh another question do i need a new battery or an alternator or do i need both because when starting the car lights inside the car dim out a bit.

Damn.. and i wanted to keep it somewhat within a budget. I found Alpine SWG-844 and Alpine BBX-F1200 amp i don't need like a super good sound system this is just for now because atm i have only 2 speakers and it's all vocals constantly. Atm i have the Pioneer MVh s100ub. Oh another question do i need a new battery or an alternator or do i need both because when starting the car lights inside the car dim out a bit.
I mean you will know if you need to replace either of those as you will have more then lights dimming out trust me :)