Authentic German Number Plate Surrounds

jonnyboy77

Reaction score
I'm new to owning an Audi, and this may be a trend that died out in the last decade ... but I have always liked the German Dealer Number Plate Surrounds that you see on German cars, especially VWs or Audis.

I have been trawling the internet all afternoon to find a source of authentic plate surrounds, but I have so far found nothing that seems to be terribly authentic/genuine ...

I found these on eBay:

audi_plate.jpg

audi_plate2.jpg

and this from a site called: http://www.platemyride.com

audi_plate3.jpg

I'm not thrilled with any of those options, and I really would prefer something authentic, but not sure if my only option is to call up a German Dealer and ask them nicely if they'll sell me a set? I have no desire to make any drastic changes to my car, just want a tiny taste of the Euro look!

I did a few searches on here and turned nothing up ... anyone got any friendly tips?

Cheers

Jon

Me too.I have them but with 'listers audi' on.Id like a genuine german pair (oo eerr) with the white background.would suit my phantom

I think a pair of authentic German dealer surrounds would be my preference, just not sure how to go about it or indeed what they might/should cost!

Thanks

Jon

Well when you find out let us all know! I kinda like the idea. I have seen them on beemers with the m power surrounds, looks pretty cool.

Well 'nummernschild' is numberplate, einfassung is side/surround and halterung is mounting plate.Ive searched on ebay.de and it would appear that there are none for sale

Now that's what I call effort! Where do people get those m power ones for their bmws? Maybe try find sites that do them.

Kennzeichen-Halters appears to be the German word for Number Plate Holder. I am pursuing a number of authentic leads in Germany to see if can source some directly from a German Audi Dealer! I imagine a lot of people are simply raising their eye brows at this, but it has become something of a personal crusade now!

Thanks

Jon

I maybe able to get them! Leave it with me and I'll ask my contact in Germany..

How many pairs are we looking at ?

Last edited:
As long as they look good!

i have a pair of the top surrounds and they do look the nuts especially if you have s line badges etc brings out the red a bit more,i love em

I has a set of surrounds with german style plates on my last car, an e36 M3 evo. Bought the surrounds from ebay, there seems to be loads for BM's on there. Thinking about getting german plates again for my avant.

Would be interested in surrounds if they were the right price, mines got uk dealer surrounds at the mo.

Yeah we all have those dealer surrounds at the moment! Look pants! Hopefully someone will source the proper german ones for Audi cars otherwise it looks like I'm gonna have to stick an M power one on lol.

I should have a set of these soon:

If it all works out I will see if I can get more via the same contact.

Thanks

Jon

yes please, how much are they by the way and anyone have a pic of some on there a4?

Can anyone tell me if they have a set that fit in the front number plate recess? I've tried to fit in a few and they are too big, only the plate will fit on its own.

ok my plan fell at the last hurdle ... the Audi parts guy in Germany insisted on a direct bank transfer to cover shipping costs and the banks charge about £10 for this ... so it made it too expensive. I am trying to convince the guy to open a paypal account to make it easier, but no luck so far ...

The ebay one shown above looks good, the plate too - although I wonder how legal the plate is??

I'm still trying!

Thanks

Jon

What about BACS transfer? Is free. (...they won't accept payment by debit card?)

Cost me about £14 from Ebay. The plates came from Ebay as well. I have had them on for about 7 months and also had a traffic car sat behind me and they said nothing. At a distance they look like normal plates. They are genuine surrounds from Germany, plenty on Ebay for Audi's at good prices. I think mine came from this guy...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Porsche-Merce...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item5d27df2398

Adam

Thanks

Jon[/QUOTE]

I ran german style plates for 3 years, but got pulled around 6 months ago and fined £30.
I realised that if it had been a normal Fri morning where I may have had a couple of pints the night before, then the cost may have been a lot higher. (i.e a possible breath test and whilst i'd never drive over the limit intentionally, you never know for sure how much beer you may have left in you after a sesnible drinking session of 4-5 pints)
It was then I decided i'd prefer to not draw any further undue attention to myself.

(it was funny thing driving back from the Ring a couple of years ago and stopping at the ferry port to be greeted by the french customs with a Guten Targ, so they certainly looked the business)

I miss the look of them though, but then I dont miss all my staunch patriotic mates asking me why the hell I had D plates on my car!

I guess if they meet these requirements http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/PersonalisedRegAndNumberPlates/DG_181503 then its ok, as it doesn't specify font/style etc just the spacing/size:

Replacing your number plate
When replacing your number plate you should make sure that the correct material has been used to manufacture the plate. It should be made from a reflective material. Front number plates must display black characters on a white background and rear number plate must display black characters on a yellow background.
Also, the characters on a number plate need to be a standard height and width.
Your number plate should show the correct:
character height - 79 millimetres
character width - 50 millimetres (except the figure 1 or letter I)
character stroke - 14 millimetres
space between characters - 11 millimetres
space between groups - 33 millimetres
top, bottom and side margins - minimum 11 millimetres
space between vertical lines - 19 millimetres

No luck with the surrounds at the moment, the guy in Germany is struggling to understand why an extra £10 just to do an international bank transfer makes me unhappy!

Cheers

Jon