Auto dimming mirror wiring

tuffy

Reaction score
Hi all. Looking into retro fitting the above.....Does anyone know if it can be wired into the interior lighting cluster, rather than tracing the wires down to the fuse box???

Wire it in as per factory, circuits are only designed for specific loads, adding more load to a circuit not allowed for, may cause issues for other components in that circuit.

Auto dimming in an avant is pointless if you have tints.

I disagree, had tints on our S4 & it still worked no problem, also on all our cars since about 2000 which have all had autodimming & all have functioned very well.

I didn't say it wouldn't work, I said it was pointless.

& as I said, I disagree, tints don't do the job of the autodimming, they minimally lessen the impact, but far from pointless, IMHO.

I'm very much of a split opinion on this bit of kit - I have it in my B7 so yeah, I make use of it, but I don't think I value it enough to actually pay extra for the feature, whether that be as an optional extra at the dealership or as a mod at a later point.

Just my view though, of course... :ninja:

TBH I wouldn't have a car without it, including side mirror glass, to many wrongly adjusted headlights, idiots with high beams on, idiots with rally bulbs, etc take your pick, without this system I think they'd be more road rage lol.

without this system I think they'd be more road rage lol.

:laugh: Love it!

I think, as with anything like this, there is no right or wrong...it all comes down to personal preference

I agree, I had it on my Passat with privacy glass and it worked well, really miss it. Wife has it in her X5 with blacked out rear half including side mirrors and its lovely for those idiots who still cant put bulbs in the right way round. I miss it a lot on the S4.

Hi all. Looking into retro fitting the above.....Does anyone know if it can be wired into the interior lighting cluster, rather than tracing the wires down to the fuse box???
So back to OP; does the dimming mirror only require power, and is not linked to a controller?
I want to fit one to my cabbie, since the multi mirror of the dipping mirror shows the trees, etc, when the roof is down.
Does anyone have the wiring diagram, pls?

Have to say, my B7 Avant is first car I have owned in a very long time that doesn't have an auto dimming rear view mirror. I remember getting a B6 Avant back in 2001 after numerous BMWs and was shocked it didn't have this as standard.

I took this out for the first time in the dark the other night and the combination of no xenons and no auto dimming mirror made it pretty exhausting driving down the unlit Norfolk roads.

I am going to have to fit one, and sort the lights out, they are shocking. But then my last car was a Merc with Intelligent Lighting System that adjusted depending what speed you were going and what is in front of you etc. and the other car is a BMW X3 with adaptive lights too, so that doesn't help much.
I put in some Osram Nightbreaker Unlimiteds which has helped a little, but think I need some xenons retrofitted or at least HIDs with some projectors headlights.

Tolak, it will just be 12v and Negative that is needed to get the mirror working. An aftermarket one may be better/easier as the Audi connector that attaches to the screen is not standard, in other words it is not there if you have the regular mirror.

Thanks, @gizze, knowing I don't need to worry about controllers, etc, is part of the struggle.
Anyone have the wiring diagram? (The mirrors I have seen on eBay have multiple wires, presumably to support other functions, so I only want to deal with the correct ones)

Well, I've got one on the way; even if I don't wire it in, it will be an improvement over the multiple mirror version that is the dipping mirror for my cabbie. I get so much sky and trees that it can be hard to see the road behind...

So I've fitted the dimming mirror in place of the dipping one, and it already does what I want in terms of stray reflections.
And, being an Audi one, it uses the existing screen mount, so no change there. I did test it before installation, and it seemed to work OK, so (having extended the power wires) I completed the installation, and just have to use an Add-A-Fuse to provide a switched (ignition) line for this and the camera I want in the same location.
Roll on when the builders are done, so I can reclaim my cabbie from my son's drive, and continue!