Automatic boot opening...

Have a look at post 33 - it's a plastic cover to go over the boot opening button on the fob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It doesn't look like they have one for the B9 key fob yet.

I did also see that Kufatec are doing a module which will allow the standard key to close the boot remotely:

https://www.kufatec.co.uk/shop/en/trunk-modules/volkswagen/comfort-hatch-module-audi-vw

Bit pricey and doesn't solve the problem of it opening in the first place - but at least you could close it again without having to go outside!

On the A6 apparently you can code it up using VAGCOM to enable closing the boot using the remote on the ordinary key (the convenience key already does this IIRC). Anyone with VAGCOM fancy having a look to see if you can enable it on the A4 as well?

Edit: here's a link to a thread on RS246.com that describes how to do it on the RS6.

Last edited:
Reactions: cppp
Do you need to purchase the convenience key to open the avant boot from the fob, or is this standard?

Do you need to purchase the convenience key to open the avant boot from the fob, or is this standard?
It's on the standard key.

The convenience key adds keyless door opening, and the ability to wave your foot under the rear bumper to open the boot

Reactions: Smickers
Went to double check my car was locked tonight to find, you guessed it, the boot wide open.....

It's been chucking it down for hours here too, so I now have a boot floor which is lovely and squishy. That'll teach me to leave the keys in my pocket - must have leant on the button :(

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Must be what you say, as, fingers crossed this hasn't happened to mine yet. But then I had the same with my A3 saloon and it never did as well..

Went to double check my car was locked tonight to find, you guessed it, the boot wide open.....

It's been chucking it down for hours here too, so I now have a boot floor which is lovely and squishy. That'll teach me to leave the keys in my pocket - must have leant on the button :(

I got the key press opening time set to 4 seconds by the dealer. Fingers crossed it wont happen again.

Had the same happen to me recently. Doesn't take much to open it. Can the dealer just change the time you need to press it for? Might get my local one to do that.

Had the same happen to me recently. Doesn't take much to open it. Can the dealer just change the time you need to press it for? Might get my local one to do that.

From my Warranty Invoice:

Checked for report of Tailgate opening on its own int. Unable to fault on test. However tpi relevant 2042726/2. Adjust Opening time Period to 4 Seconds.

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and gbrown
Looks like a trip to the dealer is in order. Last time my neighbour came to my door to tell me it was open. Raining at the time too, so boot was a bit damp. Luckily I don't keep much in the car routinely, as there's been a spate of car breakins round my way recently - often catching people who left them unlocked inadvertently.

Has anyone been down to their dealer to alter the time press yet? I'm guessing the dealer will charge for this service...

Alternately I wonder if there are any rigid key covers which might protect the fob?

I park my car in multi-story during office hours and my paranoia that the boot will be open is getting worse...

The remote won't work beyond a certain distance. Ifind it strange that some owners are managing to randomly open their boots from the fob, after many many years of owing cars where the boots are either unlocked or opened by the fob its never once happened to me.

Happened to me for the first time yesterday. Put my hand in to my pocket to grab the keys so that I could open the house and as I put my hand in, the boot opened. It seems like the button to open the boot is very sensitive.

Solution: not wear tight trousers or change the duration of the key press to activate

It says in the manual that the boot release button must be pressed for at least one second, I wonder if some fobs haven't been correctly programmed?

That is easily done when jamming keys into pockets

Maybe not but then maybe this thread is talking about different things and the manner in which the automatic boot open is being triggered. I can only speak from personal experience that ever since I have owned any vehicle with remote boot opening, or unlocking, that never once has there been a false triggering of the system, even with tight jeans. So hence my reply about keys maybe not being programmed in the same way however unlikely this might be...

It happens with lock/unlock as well when jamming keys -- that's just less obvious than the boot being open.

I wonder if it's a bug? Mine usually has the appropriate delay for opening the boot, but there was 1 instance where I literally brushed the button and it popped open when I had opening the car. I can't explain it but certainly was not held down. Not reproduced it yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it a different system from the A3 as there has never been no reports of the hatch/boot unlocking itself. The only difference between the two is that the A3 didn't have the rear sensor...

Last edited:
Changing the subject slightly, the manual (online version at least, not checked the one in the car) it says you can close the avant boot by holding the button on the key or the button on the front door. Neither seems to work though? It doesn't say it has to be convenience key either... is this the same for others?

Holding the button on the front door closes my boot, I don't have the advanced key either.

Ok great I'll give it another go. Maybe the car has to be in park or something like that.

I have the advanced key and comfort pack and mine doesn't close from key fob or door button.
I guess the advanced key spec is over-riding the function of the comfort pack?
Trip to the dealers in order I think...

Happened to me yesterday. Must have been button press though. Happened on my S3 as well although the boot didn't go up as it was a sport back.

I suspect it just a result of too much in pockets on both cars.

Now adjusted to 3.5 seconds see if that fixes it.

I have the advanced key and comfort pack and mine doesn't close from key fob or door button.
I guess the advanced key spec is over-riding the function of the comfort pack?
Trip to the dealers in order I think...

Ignition needs to be on to close via the door button. Did you try that?
To close by holding the button on the advanced key, pretty sure you have to be near to the car (within 3m) for it to work,

Tried it on mine. I don't have the advanced key, but yep when the engine is running the boot will close if you hold the door button. I didn't know that until I read this Thread!

Reactions: iambu
I also tried mine tonight. And it works! Ignition on, hold the switch and it beeps as it lowers the boot. Doesn't do anything with the ignition off. Quite pleased with that one. Cheers.

Reactions: iambu
It seems then the electric mechanism is fitted as standard to avants? Perhaps thats why it only needs the module mentioned in #41 to make it work on the key fob...

What are the best solutions to this issue as its obviously been around a while? Fob protector or trip to the dealer?
Happened to me last night while inside the supermarket...Shocked to see the boot wide open when I came outside...Thankful that no one had been in and helped themselves...Gobsmacked that its happened to so many other owners
eek.gif

The "trip to the dealers" option you can do yourself with obd11 or vcds. You can set the amount of time the button needs to be pressed for to open the boot. Very quick and easy, took me about 20seconds to change with obd11

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jsmills
This thread has now got my worried about the boot opening while the car is in the garage....

Well I can assure that there only seems to be one or two having this issue, I have never had a problem with this, not once. So I haven't a clue what is going on with these keys. Maybe they are wearing these

Last edited:
I carry the keyfob detached from any other keys/key rings in my jeans pocket and regularly had people at work telling me "Do you know your boot is open"

Solution i used.. increase the time to open tailgate using Obd11/VCDS

• Stg 46 - Central Convenience
  • Adaptation / Adaptation - 10
  • Scroll down to the point "Time for opening rear lid with remote control"
    • VCP German: 15050 / Operating time Opening the tailgate with remote control
  • Load current setting: default is 800 ms
  • Enter new value in "ms". Example: 2000, Maximum possible: 5000ms

Changed it to 2000ms.. hasn't happened since