Auxiliary fuel pump noise when car stopped

Del1979

Reaction score
Hi I have recently bought a A3 2.0T sline quattro 2006. The car is exceeded all expectations but I was looking for some info from people in the know. When I turn the car off after a run I have a buzzing noise coming from the engine bay I have been told this may be from the auxiliary water pump can anyone clarify if the auxiliary water pump should continue to work after the car is turned off and make the noise it is. Thanks in advance.

Thank you for the response those diagrams are very informative. Do u know if the pump is silent or if it will be the noise I am hearing as it is still working after the car is turned off.
Cheers in advance

Just had to get the aux water pump in my Golf done. I wasn't aware of it running ( although I didn't know it had one until it packed in) but think the fans usually ran at the same time so drowned it out. Despite the £125 price tag it's very small so wouldn't expect it to make much noise.

Reactions: Del1979
It's just a light buzzing noise not loud just an unusual I just found it an unusual sound as I haven't owned a 2.0tfsi before from reading the above diagram I think it will be what the noise is. There is no noise when on a short journey and the car doesn't get up to temperature only had the car a few days so it's not been ran far or hard enough to have the fan proper kick in after running yet. Cheers for the response good to know it's not an expensive fix if there is an issue with it

My 07 S3 also makes this sound and I previously located it coming from the same area as the auxiliary water pump. It's been into Storm a couple of times for different bits to be done and they've never mentioned it, so I would assume that it's normal and nothing to be concerned about mate.

Electric, auxiliary water pumps exist in many types of cars – BMW use them to boost hot coolant flow through the car’s cabin heater. I’m not at all sure that the one in the VAG common rail diesels, like mine, does the same job as the one in the VAG petrol 2.0 TFSI engine.

The purpose of the auxiliary pump in the 2.0 petrol TFSI is as the above PDF states. For the diesels, I have been given two possible explanations: - 1) that it helps cool the EGR system or 2) that it provides an extra boost of hot coolant to get the manifold/EGR system up to temperature for maximum combustion/fuel efficiency.

I’ve never heard the one in my diesel car operating which also makes me suspect it has a different purpose. I would guess that if the 2.0 petrol TFSI one runs for 10 minutes or so after the engine is switched off, you would definitely hear it.

Reactions: Del1979
Cheers for the reply gives me a bit of piece of mind