Avant electric tailgate issue

j4yt33

Reaction score
So it would appear my electric tailgate opens beautifully, majestically almost, but the button on the inside to close it has decided to stop working.
I would like to do everything in my power to avoid taking it to a dealer so can anyone suggest things I can try to fix the problem?
I have done a search but the responses I've seen are "Just lock and unlock and it works... sometimes" etc.
Any suggestions will be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm assuming the button in the driver's door still operates the tailgate and so does the key remote? I heard that you can set the height of the bootlid by pressing and holding onto the button until the lights flash three times, you could try that to see if that resets the button.

If not I would guess it's the button itself needs replacing and I've search YouTube for videos without any luck, sorry.

How old is your motor, my button is a bit temperamental and sometimes takes a couple of presses to operate so it's prob on the way out too

Was it like this before or did it just stop working out right

A new button can't be too pricey try the parts request and stick a new on on it yourself

I don't think it will be the button as as it goes up, I can press the inside button and the boot lid stops so there must be some connection there.
It just stopped closing all of a sudden.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Not sure then mate, take the rear panel off and have a look, maby just order a button anyway to rule it out

If you start closing the hatch by hand, does it take over and continue to close electrically?
If you stop it half way down with your hand, it will come to a stop. Then if you press the button on the tailgate does it move? If so, the button is OK.

So this still isn't resolved. Is there a way to disengage the motor so it is easier to close by hand?

Can't you just use VAGCOM to program it to open and close using the key as well as the interior button?

Can't you just use VAGCOM to program it to open and close using the key as well as the interior button?

Sadly, not a simple coding mod on the B8 ( which, I think that is what the OP has). I looked into this myself, however, it can be done with an additional 'comfort' module, there's one mentioned in the ross-tech forum link. I believe Kufatec do a similar module too.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/a4-avant-power-tailgate-remote-open-and-closing.257180/

http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?7411-Boot-close-from-key-on-B8-8K-RS4

Reactions: RAF_S7
Just resurrecting this issue.

I now have this on my car.

2009 avant.

andy ideas about trplacement / fix and if not anyone tell me how to shut it manually until i have a fix sorted?

appreciated.