Avant load guard rail cover broken off and rattling, any idea how to remove?

pagenotfound

Reaction score
Got a rattle start a couple of weeks ago and today I found out that it was coming from the load guard rail cover just in front of the rear passenger grab handle. The spring loaded retractable cover seems to have broken off inside and I can't extract it. There is a Torx 40 screw visible but I removed this and was still unable to remove the part. Anyone had to remove the headlining on an Avant and been able to get these load guard rails off or had any issues with this as well?

First pic is the one with the broken cover and you can see the Torx screw inside. Second pic is from the other side of the car which still has the cover in place.
Load guard retaining rails1

Load guard retaining rails2

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
Got a rattle start a couple of weeks ago and today I found out that it was coming from the load guard rail cover just in front of the rear passenger grab handle. The spring loaded retractable cover seems to have broken off inside and I can't extract it. There is a Torx 40 screw visible but I removed this and was still unable to remove the part. Anyone had to remove the headlining on an Avant and been able to get these load guard rails off or had any issues with this as well?

First pic is the one with the broken cover and you can see the Torx screw inside. Second pic is from the other side of the car which still has the cover in place.
View attachment 163400
View attachment 163401

That must be driving you mad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yep, the plastic cover is rattling around inside. Might just lob a lump of blu-tack in there to shut it up

Decided to have a go at this one today and fixed it. Bit of a swine to get back in again properly and the side curtain airbag is perilously close so have to be careful near that but got it all removed and put back together so hopefully no more rattling.

Some pics in case anyone else encounters this.

Facia removed - showing rear with 4 retaining clips along with the cover that had come loose inside the housing
Load guard retaining rails3

Next part, got to undo the torx bolt, there's a flat plastic plate in front of a metal component, both need twisting around diagonally inside the headlining and then they can be extracted.
Load guard retaining rails4

All parts now removed.
Load guard retaining rails5

Relocated the plastic cover back to where it had come from
Load guard retaining rails6

Got it all back inside the headlining and then all that remained was to clip the front plastic plate back in
Load guard retaining rails8

Reactions: mjcourtney