Avant Subwoofer upgrade

yargnat

Reaction score
Thought I'd share a quick and dirty upgrade I made this morning.
I was swapping my battery, which means I had the subwoofer out, and saw that the speaker is a standard 6.5" size. I removed the speaker from the housing (T15 or T20 Torx) The orginal VW speaker uses standard spade connectors, and measures to be 2 Ohms.

I have a spare pair of Morel Elates, which are 4 ohm, so decided to swap the driver over. The housing only needed a couple of small posts cutting which locate the original speaker in the correct position over the screw holes, but these are not needed normally (I suspect only there to make robot assembly easier) so I cut them away with a small pair of wire cutters. Located the replacement speaker in the housing , and the screw holes lined up perfectly. I made a quick adapter for the negative connector because the tab sizes were different, so I didn't need to cut the factory wiring inside the housing.

Replaced everything in the car, and had a quick listen. To my ear, it's improved alot. The speaker being less sensitive has cleaned up the sound stage, and gives a more balanced, deeper and punchy sound. Can actually hear changes to bass notes, rather than just a dull thudding. Took me 20 minutes and didn't cost anything as I had the parts lying around, but I'm sure wouldn't cost very much to source a better speaker than the original audi unit.

Note - I think I have the Audi Advanced Audio with 10 speakers. Certainly not the B&O

Original speaker on the right.

DSC 1888

DSC 1889

DSC 1887

Reactions: leedodds1, cuke2u, mister.c. and 2 others
Nice! Best hack I’ve seen in a while. Most of my music is bass heavy so would like to try this myself.

Waking up this old thread, but hope to still find some help! This little upgrade is exactly what I'm looking for. Don't want to go the route / and the budget for a full separate subwoofer upgrade, so this hack seems just ideal. Not looking to shake windows, just get a bit more out of the OEM subwoofer.

A few questions, I hope you could help with.

1. Will 4 ohms not be to much for the OEM car amplifier (as it's probably designed for 2 ohms) ?
  2. When searching for a speaker (as I don't have any spears around) which sould be the parameters I should aim for (not really familiar with audio world)
    Which size, how many watts etc
Thanks a lot!

Which pos and which is neg? Any more details on speaker used ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Waking up this old thread, but hope to still find some help! This little upgrade is exactly what I'm looking for. Don't want to go the route / and the budget for a full separate subwoofer upgrade, so this hack seems just ideal. Not looking to shake windows, just get a bit more out of the OEM subwoofer.

A few questions, I hope you could help with.

1. Will 4 ohms not be to much for the OEM car amplifier (as it's probably designed for 2 ohms) ?
  2. When searching for a speaker (as I don't have any spears around) which sould be the parameters I should aim for (not really familiar with audio world)
    Which size, how many watts etc
Thanks a lot!

Answering my own questions:
  1. A 4ohm woofer connected in parallel makes 2 ohms, so not a problem.
  2. I went with audio system co 06 dc evo speaker, connected in parallel for 2 ohms.
And does it sound better? Well maybe... but not really a lot of difference. Probably would not notice if I didn't know what to listen to.
So indeed an easy mod, but for me the outcome was not worth it. :)

Reactions: Gooders