average AVS mileage on your S3?

madvw

Reaction score
OK, can you guys please help me here...

I had an AVS service on my imported 2002.5 s3 a couple of weeks ago.

When I left the dealership, I was told that the service counter would read zero, then after 500 miles, it would have calibrated to the next service interval.

anyway, I got in the car, and being the enquisitive ******, I pressed the service check button. Interestingly, it read 9300 Miles.

After about a week, I decided to phone the dealer back, who asked me to drop the car back in to them.
After the car had been checked for 20 mins, the car was returned to me. It was explained that the service reigime was set OK, and that apparently on S3's, they display a "mid" value initially and then re-calibrate after 500 miles.

a week later.

The service indicater is now showing 7100 miles till it's next service. Now, this makes me more than a little worried. In my experience, the average milage from an AVS service is about twice this - and i'd be MUCH better off on standard interval servicing (for more than just this reason i know)..

what sort of service interval are you petrol AVS'd people getting please, because after my inital conversation with the dealer (who thought that it was acceptable), it sounds like I may have to argue my corner on this one.

As always, any help much appreciated.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Mine:

1st AVS at 18,000
2nd AVS at 35,000

What's your driving style like since the last service? If hard, and around town only, then that might explain your problem. If you do some motorway runs, it might average itself out a bit more.

I've got a 1.8T and i was told my AVS should be 15-20K miles but according to the DIS i will have only done 9000 miles when my next service is due and i drive the car gently every day 40 mile round trip to work...

Dave

so, by the sounds of it then, 7000 miles from an AVS service is acceptable!

I can't afford too many of those! I may as well switch to interval servicing ASAP...

yeh agreed mate. i think to be honest we should be getting at least 10000 miles though shouldnt we? is yours remapped? mine is so i thought that could be why i'm getting less miles...

I think it's universally agreed that AVS is total pants and pretty much everyone would be better off on the oldstyle standard intervals, that's certainly the first thing I got changed on my 01 Avant.
AVS is largely a marketing ploy, but certainly on Turbocharged engines you need to get that oil changed regularly so you wouldn't really want to go to 18kmiles between changes regardless of the claims made for longlife oil.

Hi m8

After both my AVS services the service indicator has read appeox 9300. Give it time, it will sort itself out.

[ QUOTE ]
Hi m8

After both my AVS services the service indicator has read appeox 9300. Give it time, it will sort itself out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. Give it time to sort itself out..

thats exactly what it said after the service 9300.

Then after 2 weeks, it went DOWN to 7100!!

i'm just hoping it goes back up....

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine did this too, although I assumed that AmD had changed it to fixed intervals of 10k. I might be wrong. How can I tell?

My 1.8T is on AVS.

Once serviced it always shows 9300. Then as I get a few miles done it slowly creeps up. I had the car serviced 2 weeks and 1000 miles ago, the AVS now reads 13000ish.

I've never seen the AVS go down after a service, only up.

I tend to get 19K between services.

Kev.

when i bought my 02 S3 the service was due in about 2000miles, after a few weeks of driving it increased to 4200miles. This was due to the previous owner not doing much mileage.

I think AVS system works on time as well as mileage its predicts what mileage you will do before the service period is up (based on an average).

Your probably find that however many miles you do your AVS figure may not change if its low. I m pretty sure i ve done about a 1000 miles with only drop of 300 miles on the AVS system.

phew nice one. I was getting a bit worried there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

many thanks for you input, appeciated /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi m8

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. Give it time to sort itself out..

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too, 9300!

Give it time!

I bought mine shortly after its 3rd service but it had been sitting around for a month or so at a dealer and only done a few short journeys. It dropped as low as 4500 miles --> I was worried too as it would have been 5000 between services!

However after a few long journeys it recalibrates itself and is now at 7300 miles (and hopefully still increasing).

Anyway any excuse to take the long way home!