average speed cameras

robbrivio

Reaction score
Hi All,

Does anyone know any info on average speed cameras. I was interested at what speed they are set to go off if there are no signs stating the speed limit. coming home the other night near heathrow on m25 and i was going about 90, need i worry?

Hi All,

Does anyone know any info on average speed cameras. I was interested at what speed they are set to go off if there are no signs stating the speed limit. coming home the other night near heathrow on m25 and i was going about 90, need i worry?

@ 90 depends on how long you'd been doing 90 for the likelyhood is you'll be prosecuted they don't go off as such they monitor your avg speed over the distance travelled within the restriction if the limit is 50 you'll normally get away with doing 57 which 50 + 10% +2

Specs cameras (average speed) are forward facing where as rear facing with a flash are actual speed detection. If they are on the gantry you are likely to be caught for your actual speed rather than average. I also thought they only worked when the matrix signs were on.

I have gone through them on "frowned upon" speeds,with the matrix sign displaying nothing,So far so good.:photo:

Working for the highways agency I have been complaining for years about people who disregard the matrix and blatantly go through red crosses/red 'x's, (speeding is fine, i love it and would never moan about a bit o that...lol) however their answer to that is that it would be too difficult to prosecute people who go through the red 'x' because they would need another camera to prove that the red x was actually on at the time of the offence, however they are working on it and I would imagine as it's yet another money maker for them, it won't be long!
Just to clarify, I am NOT one of those pathetic, idiotic, wannabe copper highways agency 'traffic officers'

Last edited:
(speeding is fine, i love it and would never moan about a bit o that...lol)
Just to clarify, I am NOT one of those pathetic, idiotic, wannabe copper highways agency 'traffic officers'

So you think its ok to speed and everyone should do it?
Also, when you are a ball of snot in the outside lane and need scraping up, or even broke down on the hard shoulder and would be grateful for someone to possibly risk their life to assist you, please let them know your thoughts on them, I am sure they will be more than jolly and have a good laugh at it.

Also, when you are a ball of snot in the outside lane and need scraping up, or even broke down on the hard shoulder and would be grateful for someone to possibly risk their life to assist you, please let them know your thoughts on them, I am sure they will be more than jolly and have a good laugh at it.

Don't suppose you could rephrase this question/statement could you coz I'm not really understanding it? I don't recall saying anything about 'everyone should do it'?? Do yourself a favour and re-read the post before making yourself look stupid.
If I was broken down on the hard shoulder like you mention, what on earth would H.A.T.O's be 'risking their lives' to 'assist' me with? By sitting behind me with amber/red lights on?? Other than that, that service is as useless as the people working for it! The only good laugh to be had is at the likes of these plastic fools :)
Let me guess, you're one of em??..lol

Very sorry if i've offended you in some strange way, just don't seem to remember saying everyone should speed, personally I like the thrill of it which I'm sure a lot of people on here do too but not condoning it it anyway. It's up to the individual if they want to keep their licence, no hard feelings mr bear :)

Anyone in a stationary vehicle on the hard shoulder of a motorway is at risk of bring hit by a vehicle straying into that lane. You may find yourself there as a motorist maybe once every couple of years so the odds are not that great. HATO's do it several times a day, so yes, they are at greater risk to their lives.
And with their lights on they are warning other vehicles of their presence, which would be between you and anything that might stray into the lane and hit you. Their lights are a tad brighter and easier to see than your hazards lights are, and anything straying into the lane would hit them first, and not you.
No I am not one of them, but what would be so funny if I was?

You are obviously having difficulty justifying their presence to yourself. So please, do me a favour and if you break down, rely on your own hazard lights to warn other drivers of your presence and tell the HATO's that you don't need them to take an impact on your behalf.

Ok fair play, I could argue with you all day particularly regarding my tax being used for a service that doesn't justify that amount of money, but we won't get into it. I miss the presence of the police at the scenes of ('non injury') incidents, as the many of the traffic police officers have agreed with, but just to let you know H.A.T.O.'s are not the only ones 'putting their lives at risk' at the scenes of incidents/ broken down vehicles, i've been doing it for 11 years...... anyway As previously stated sorry for anything I may have said to offend you.