Average speed cameras

defer

Reaction score
I religiously do 50mph through the roadworks on the M6, but frequently you see people doing way in excess of this (especially the trucks). Do these speed cameras actually work? Do people not know what the word average means? Are they set at a higher speed than 50mph or are hundreds of people racking points up? What do you guys think?

I often wondered this too.

I do 50 on the GPS through them, its an indicated 55.

Its the ones that blast through that get me, what do they know i don't?

no idea if they work or not i go through them everyday from junction 10 to junction 3 of the m6 and I always have someone fly past me doing way over 50 mph

I know someone who was caught on the M25 twice in 1 day by them. If you join on a slip road half way through the road works you sometimes get away with it as not all junctions have camera's. I joined the M3 the other day and everyone shot off except me, then i realised there were no ASC cameras on the ramp as i joined hald way through the system.. i have also heard of one or two people who use false plates, its common amongst motorcyclists because the fine for the wrong plates is less that the speeding fine.

apparently averages dont work at night and if you switch lanes between cameras you can get away with it too, but i wouldnt like to try either out to be honest, just stick to the limit :)

I have some of these camera to contend with, these are fixed and permanent on the A127 in Essex.

I just make sure that when i join I reset the average speed trip on the dash so I can speed up & slow down as necessary. Simple!

Michael

I religiously do 50mph through the roadworks on the M6, but frequently you see people doing way in excess of this (especially the trucks). Do these speed cameras actually work? Do people not know what the word average means? Are they set at a higher speed than 50mph or are hundreds of people racking points up? What do you guys think?

Some people just don't know what they are - Though most probably have no insurance, licence and don't have the car registered to them...

apparently averages dont work at night and if you switch lanes between cameras you can get away with it too, but i wouldnt like to try either out to be honest, just stick to the limit :)

They have infared in them if they're longterm works. If they're temps they'll have a light on a generator next to them.
If it's out of use, they have a sign stating that it's not in use.

Best to remember though, guys are trying to earn a note and it's to keep them safe - Imagine trying to work and some idiot decides to fly past you at 80/90....!

Post of the Week :)

""Best to remember though, guys are trying to earn a note and it's to keep them safe - Imagine trying to work and some idiot decides to fly past you at 80/90....!""

Thats the bottom line guys

""Best to remember though, guys are trying to earn a note and it's to keep them safe - Imagine trying to work and some idiot decides to fly past you at 80/90....!""

very true mate!

so what about the ones on the m42 above the gantrys? if the traffic is heavy, say around rush hour, they usually display 50 or 60 to keep everything moving and im there doing whatever the signs display and im forced into the slow lane everytime because half the motorway are overtaking me, as the op said surely all these people cant be racking up points, there would be no one left on the roads!! although that would be nice lol

Don't quote me in court.... But... i don't think the camera's above the gantry’s can be changed for speed as easily as that - I work as a Traffic Signals Engineer, and some of the guys that work for another company i know deal with all the speed camera's etc; i'll ask them!

Don't quote me in court.... But... i don't think the camera's above the gantry’s can be changed for speed as easily as that - I work as a Traffic Signals Engineer, and some of the guys that work for another company i know deal with all the speed camera's etc; i'll ask them!
That would be good to know. :) I'm never sure if the variable speed signs on the M42 are linked to the gantry cameras or if the cameras are always set for normal motorway speed.

Best to remember though, guys are trying to earn a note and it's to keep them safe - Imagine trying to work and some idiot decides to fly past you at 80/90....!

So why can't the limit go back to 70mph when they're not working?

It's not to keep them safe, if someone hit them at 50mph, they'd be dead

It's because the lanes are narrower and apparently cars get wider as you go faster :\

I have yet to see someone doing work apart from patrolling up and down the conned lines in a "motorway maintenance vehicle" or talking coblers ! They are puting them speed cameras up because speeding its in the human nature and the laws are meant to be broken, thats why they issue a penalty charge notice ! All revenue and keeping an eye on how much you travel and where you go and come from ! Watch the next 20-30 years when the new world order will be implemented- plans of pay-as-you-go were since 20 years ago, it just takes time to get the peoples get used to them, just like the wind turbines ! Low emission zone in London ? Thats a load of bullcrap if you ask me ! They will start building suspended motorways soon its just the investments are not profitable enough unless they will tax the motorists as they please ! Imagine going to work for 10 long hours then spending a further 2 stuck in traffic boiling in your own juice ! If that happenz for long enough, when it comes to pay road chargess, you will do just to get home quicker ! In Europe, peoples comute 2-300 km one way on a daily bassis, imagine if they would spend their time stuck in traffic ?! A german/modern car has been designed to be eficient on motorway doing 70-80Mph in top gear not stuck in slow moving traffic in 2nd or 3rd gear as the daft Mayor of London tells you ! There has been a lot of abnormalities in english law system in the last decade, especially since there was that blind daft man at the Home Office...imagine what he signed- all that he aproved off ! And the new "one eyed snake" just make-it worse while blaming the previous regime ! You english better wake-up before is to late !

I have yet to see someone doing work apart from patrolling up and down the conned lines in a "motorway maintenance vehicle" or talking coblers ! They are puting them speed cameras up because speeding its in the human nature and the laws are meant to be broken, thats why they issue a penalty charge notice ! All revenue and keeping an eye on how much you travel and where you go and come from ! Watch the next 20-30 years when the new world order will be implemented- plans of pay-as-you-go were since 20 years ago, it just takes time to get the peoples get used to them, just like the wind turbines ! Low emission zone in London ? Thats a load of bullcrap if you ask me ! They will start building suspended motorways soon its just the investments are not profitable enough unless they will tax the motorists as they please ! Imagine going to work for 10 long hours then spending a further 2 stuck in traffic boiling in your own juice ! If that happenz for long enough, when it comes to pay road chargess, you will do just to get home quicker ! In Europe, peoples comute 2-300 km one way on a daily bassis, imagine if they would spend their time stuck in traffic ?! A german/modern car has been designed to be eficient on motorway doing 70-80Mph in top gear not stuck in slow moving traffic in 2nd or 3rd gear as the daft Mayor of London tells you ! There has been a lot of abnormalities in english law system in the last decade, especially since there was that blind daft man at the Home Office...imagine what he signed- all that he aproved off ! And the new "one eyed snake" just make-it worse while blaming the previous regime ! You english better wake-up before is to late !

Right........

I was told the camera companies sorted out the lane changing problem now, so it no longer works. I am not sure about night time, but do agree it's best to stick to the limit.