Average speed cameras

lil_coz

Reaction score
I've been going past the roadworks between J11 and J13 of the M1 quite a bit recently and it got me thinking... how exactly do they work?

Now I know that they time you between two sets of cameras (distance over time etc). I remember reading somewhere that they cant use the cameras to take your average speed over a certain distance (2 miles I think). So my question is this...

Say that there are 4 cameras taking your average speed. Now do they work out your average speed between the first set to the second, then the second to the third and then third to the fourth? So they work out your speed 3 times. Or do they get you between the first to second, and the third to fourth? As it's a new set of cameras? Because that to me explains why you get some people burning past you.

Hoping that makes sense lol

Between every single one mate. 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 1-3, 2-4, 1-4.

BUT I don't understand why so many people seem to be able to drive through them happily at 60+ mph :think:

Yeah my dad has said that a few times but I'm not willing to push my luck for the sake of a couple of minutes delay.

Last year I was driving along the A421 near Bedford and was stuck in traffic, alongside the road there was a crew setting up a SPECS camera, at the bottom of the Yellow pole where the concrete base is there was a space you could see through and a cable going to the bottom. Ive noticed on the ones on the M1 there is no cable so I reckon they are fake, Ive done 70+ through them at 4am most Saturday mornings so pretty sure they cant see in the dark.

Still change lanes though like another poster mentioned just incase :)

I've heard there is a new style acerage speed camera (couldn't tell you what the difference is though) that deals with the lane changing issue they used to have. Not sure about night time though

I think it's fair to say, if you was sticking to the speed limit of the road in the first place, there would be no need for this thread. :icon_thumright:

I think it's fair to say, if you was sticking to the speed limit of the road in the first place, there would be no need for this thread. :icon_thumright:

This gets my goat - its a motorway and you can bet your **** no one was working as they all prefer the extra pay for the night shifts, so the whole safety element is ******** as motorways have the lowest number of accidents out of all our roads (speed kills!!! really???).

You can't tell me you've never driven along a 4 lane motorway where the speedlimit is 50 and not done 70 (when there isn't cameras)

Also how many times have you actually slowed down when the flashing motorway speedlimit signs tell you to do 50 - never i bet.

Do u need a step ladder to get off that pony?

If we were talking about speeding past a school at 3 in the afternoon then I would agree with you (FYI 30mph in a 30 limit at this time in my opinion is dangerous)

You can't tell me you've never driven along a 4 lane motorway where the speedlimit is 50 and not done 70 (when there isn't cameras)

But there's a time and place for it Mike, and when you are driving along a sign posted stretch of M25 lets say, average Speed SCAMeras in action, you really have no one to blame but yourself, if a speed fine comes through your post.

It's like Mobile Speed SCAMeras, why do they always park up on stretches of road where motorists are most likely to speed? If they want these drivers to slow down, stick a permanent flash flash speed camera there, and people will slow down... but getting caught by a camera van, you feel a bit of unjust, as it's almost like entrapment, if you didn't know it was there, but you take it on the chin, as YOU WAS speeding, if you got caught.

A fair point.

I just have issues with the whole "speed kills" attitude. No speed doesn't kill, inappropriate speed kills.

My example would be which is more dangerous 100mph on a motorway in dry conditions at 2 in the morning or 30mpg past a school at 3 in the afternoon in the wet? Remember the government propaganda before answering - SPEED KILLS

+ you'll lose your licence for one :no:

Last edited:
Also how many times have you actually slowed down when the flashing motorway speedlimit signs tell you to do 50 - never i bet.

If its the ones that also say 'FOG', you don't actually have to slow down to the speed they say, it's not the law, it's just advisary....

If it ain't in a red ring, ignore it!! lol

Between every single one mate. 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 1-3, 2-4, 1-4.

BUT I don't understand why so many people seem to be able to drive through them happily at 60+ mph :think:

Blimey, didn't know that they were interlinked with eachother! Its like me when I went through them the other day. There was a 911 in the right hand lane and I slowed down to 50 as soon as the first set of cameras came up but the Porsche just carried on! What I don't understand is, it was the first set of cameras, and there was no turn off between the first 2! And this guy disappeared into the distance! Surely he'll have a speeding ticket on his mat in the next couple of weeks?!

i was informed that if you change lanes from the lane that the camera got you in the the next camera could not calculate your speeds, iv not ever had a ticket from them and iv just gone with the flow,

I've heared that too. Like a lot of people, I just don't trust it lol.

I didn't bring this up to find a way round speeding through them. I'm quite happy sticking it on cruise and pootling through. It was more of clarification on how they worked. My only 3 points only just came off my license so plan on keeping it that way lol :)

Changing lanes doesnt stop you getting pinched guys.

I just assume they are all unlicensed, unregistered, uninsured drivers, which is why camera's do nothing to improve road safety (except in very specific stretches of road), they are just provide a very profitable lip service to the "speed kills" lobbyists and do nothing to stop the real killers on our roads. If SPECs camera's were on every road and no one broke the speed limit do you think there would be a significant drop in road deaths? Road death is caused by bad driving plain and simple, but that's just too hard to police.

Do u need a step ladder to get off that pony?

Jojo is an epitome of a model driver, driving as he does with his squeaky clean license and encylopedic knowledge of the Highway Code HOW DARE YOU CHALLENGE THE JOJO?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??£$?"!$%?£%?$£"%?$%?"£!$?£!"$?£?!"$?£"!$?£!"$?£"!?$"£!$?$£!"$?$£"!?$£?!$?£"$?$£"?$

U ***!

Jojo is an epitome of a model driver, driving as he does with his squeaky clean license and encylopedic knowledge of the Highway Code HOW DARE YOU CHALLENGE THE JOJO?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??£$?"!$%?£%?$£"%?$%?"£!$?£!"$?£?!"$?£"!$?£!"$?£"!?$"£!$?$£!"$?$£"!?$£?!$?£"$?$£"?$

U ***!

Looks at his licence with 6 points on it for speeding. :zen: