B&O sub woofer upgrade

weemanno1

Reaction score
decided to do a little DIY and get rid of the sub standard woofer in the spare wheel well as you couldnt even tell when it was on!... bought this kicker dual coil 2ohm 150w sub and with a little assistance from a muliti-tool (to get rid of the moulding tags inside.. fits perfectly into the enclosure.) if you wire them up in series it makes it up to 4ohm which is only 2 ohm short of the original!.. i have checked and it leaves no codes on vagcom and once you block the port up to make it sealed just turn it on and turn it up! :) very good and relitively cheap upgrade!, I got the speaker +delivered for £110 from kicker website. packs a really good oem non over the top punch !

Attachments

• Photo 16-02-2022, 07 23 30.jpg
    Photo 16-02-2022, 07 23 30.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,078
  • Photo 17-02-2022, 20 55 06.jpg
    Photo 17-02-2022, 20 55 06.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 226
  • Photo 17-02-2022, 20 55 13.jpg
    Photo 17-02-2022, 20 55 13.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 230
  • Photo 16-02-2022, 07 23 57.jpg
    Photo 16-02-2022, 07 23 57.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 236
That's nice!
I wonder if this works for the non-bose sub. I have the Avant and it has a similar crappy sub around the spare wheel but it's non-bose so no amp. I guess it's just taking some power from the radio receiver. I don't really know enough about all this but would like a better kick than this OEM one without going for a full on side wall 10" or something.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Reactions: weemanno1 and RS5 JON
That's nice!
I wonder if this works for the non-bose sub. I have the Avant and it has a similar crappy sub around the spare wheel but it's non-bose so no amp. I guess it's just taking some power from the radio receiver. I don't really know enough about all this but would like a better kick than this OEM one without going for a full on side wall 10" or something.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
if you have a sub in the boot i would checkin the n/s/r quater i would imagine you have an amp of sorts as you wouldnt be able to power a sub without. As far as i was aware you had the sub or didnt? :) if its the same 6ohm sub you can deffinately do it :)

I’m tempted to do this. What’s it like when the volume is quite high? Still sound good?

Reactions: weemanno1
I’m tempted to do this. What’s it like when the volume is quite high? Still sound good?
it's good! its not like a halfords can hear it from miles away but the sound is deffinately more punchey and sound fills the cabin more? if that makes sense there alot better atmosphere and you can definately tell when its on now rather than always thinking is it working?.. lol i cna confirm if you turn the gian all the way up in the controls the bass does not distort your listening very good :).. i cant record it as it will not have literally any bearing on how good it is :)

Reactions: Sidrick
Glad to hear you didn't run into anything too complicated doing this upgrade, definitely considering doing the same thing. All in all how long would you say it took you?

Glad to hear you didn't run into anything too complicated doing this upgrade, definitely considering doing the same thing. All in all how long would you say it took you?
i was mega anal about it and it look me not even an hour its the drillling the rivets out carefully and making sure your smooth the inside out level to the base of the box.. actually wiring it up and screwing it in and fitting takes less than half an hour.. i have lent mine to my friend who has an s4 estate and he can believe the differance... i have had his temporarily and its shocking lol.

Reactions: euphy
i was mega anal about it and it look me not even an hour its the drillling the rivets out carefully and making sure your smooth the inside out level to the base of the box.. actually wiring it up and screwing it in and fitting takes less than half an hour.. i have lent mine to my friend who has an s4 estate and he can believe the differance... i have had his temporarily and its shocking lol.
Can you describe how to wire this in series please bud? I just ordered one, i've sound deadened under all the speakers and want to up the bass but keep it oem so this is perfect

Temp wired this in and it sounds way worse than stock any ideas what needs to change here? B&O system 2011 a4 allroad

Attachments

• 88D42F39-11EC-4333-B5EA-75C295B32235.jpeg
    88D42F39-11EC-4333-B5EA-75C295B32235.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 162
E2056B40 6757 434D A433 9F12390D187A

Top tip use spits plasterboard fixings to hold the sub in works a treat

Any wiring gurus able to help me with this set up? Wired as per that guide above and the kicker sub sounds flat, put the original one back in and its far better so something ain’t right here

Attachments

• DFE2836E-C352-433C-9354-9DB2CBC02D82.jpeg
    DFE2836E-C352-433C-9354-9DB2CBC02D82.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 132
Seems it could be component protection?

Attachments

• 8F7D7ABE-572F-4F60-B626-0DCFDFBD9ACC.png
    8F7D7ABE-572F-4F60-B626-0DCFDFBD9ACC.png
    656.6 KB · Views: 136
Did you have to remove component protecton by any chance? Mine is not working with the Kicker woofer and i'm at a loss as to why!

Did you have to remove component protecton by any chance? Mine is not working with the Kicker woofer and i'm at a loss as to why!
No it’s direct plug and play but has to be a. Dual coil and the ohms needs to be double half of what it should be to double up when you wire it up

You put the positive to the red on the left then from the black loop it to the 2nd red then from the neggy back to the oe connector :) see if I can find a pic

You put the positive to the red on the left then from the black loop it to the 2nd red then from the neggy back to the oe connector :) see if I can find a pic
Thats how I wired it in the pic above, it didn't work for me so I sent it back. My MMI doesn't have individual sub control so that maybe my issue

Mine doesn’t to be fair I can only adjust the bass and treble
Temp wired this in and it sounds way worse than stock any ideas what needs to change here? B&O system 2011 a4 allroad
make sure you use decent wiring for these as if the cable has poor resistance it will make the sound horrible i used decent speak /clear coated cables as the pictures show on the a5oc thread. and make sure not of the strands touch the speaker casing. also be worth adding make sure you bung the hole up at the end of the sub! dont leave it vented!!(i used a microfibre pad and gaffa tape.. ! and make sure theres a decent foam seal around when the speak sits in the housing. i used foam tape. :) (appologies if i missed this out!

Mine doesn’t to be fair I can only adjust the bass and treble

make sure you use decent wiring for these as if the cable has poor resistance it will make the sound horrible i used decent speak /clear coated cables as the pictures show on the a5oc thread. and make sure not of the strands touch the speaker casing. also be worth adding make sure you bung the hole up at the end of the sub! dont leave it vented!!(i used a microfibre pad and gaffa tape.. ! and make sure theres a decent foam seal around when the speak sits in the housing. i used foam tape. :) (appologies if i missed this out!
Damn i didn't try it with the box sealed and have sent the sub back now, I might try sealing the box and see if it improves the sound of the stock sub

it wont help with the original as the original needs otbe vented but the new one needs ot be sealed :) i only figured it out when i took mine back out to check the wiring to double check i posted it right lol.

it wont help with the original as the original needs otbe vented but the new one needs ot be sealed :) i only figured it out when i took mine back out to check the wiring to double check i posted it right lol
I see! Tempted to order another now to try again

I see! Tempted to order another now to try again
i remember leaving it unblocked and it rattled and was high pitched.. i literally sealed the hole up and gaffa taped it up and it was mint. i might be selling mine to be fair ready done if i have a standard one in part x to put back in mine!

i remember leaving it unblocked and it rattled and was high pitched.. i literally sealed the hole up and gaffa taped it up and it was mint. i might be selling mine to be fair ready done if i have a standard one in part x to put back in mine!
Oooooooo where are you based? I'm just outside Edinburgh