B4 80 Brakes?

atc

Reaction score
I know that the B4 model 80 had hydraulicaly assisted ABS equipped brakes. The question is what are they supposed to feel like in use? The brakes on my 2.6E Quattro do stop the car well enough but don't feel sharp. I have bled the brakes but that didn't improve feel much. I know Audi's suffer a poor press for lack of feed back through the controls, I just can't belive it should be that vague. You put you foot on the brake and the car slows down, move the peadal closer to the carpet and it slows down faster but there's no real solid resistance. Which is not to say that the pedal is spongy or fades to the floor. Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllllllp.

How did you bleed the brakes? they need to be pressure bled.
When was the last time your brake lines were changed? They may look ok on the outside but they can swell up on the inside over the years and restrict flow of fluid through. I would swap the lines for a set of Goddridge braided lines personally, that way there is no "give" in the lines and rebleed the brakes with a good branded brake fluid.

When you bleed them the procudre is to bleed the the mastercylinder first through the bleed valve on the master clyinder to fill the master cylinder with fresh fluid. Then start at the rearwheel furtherest from the master cylinder then the other rearwheel the the front wheels ending with the wheel closest to the mastercyinder.
If you have a brake bleed kit its the easiest and can be done with one person. Always bleed with the ignition off (wont mess up the ABS). As per coreys post when i renewed the flexible pipes and bleed the system the performance was much improved.
Also check the thickness of the discs. If they are worn below their service limit then the pedal will have more travel to get the brake pistons to engage with discs.

I can see a brake overhaul coming up then. I was thinking standard disks with Greenstuff pads and Goddrich hoses and I'll bleed the lot as enda1 describes (the only bit I missed last time was bleeding the master cylinder). Does anyone have any experience of drilled or groved disks would that be better than standard? Or do they just look pretty?