b5 1.8t coil issue

ivica

Reaction score
checked spark plugs then after car has been running rough like on 3 cylinders but its normal when idling. i got new plugs and still the same issue

thanks for reply.
i checked codes and nothing showed up.

yeh these ECU's dont detect missfires unforunately, unless its maybe a really late one with the integrated coils.

The two usual culprits are a coil or the ignition amplifier on the airbox.

Generally, a coil will break down under high load, so it'll drive fine, then missfire when you floor it. Whereas the amplifier will just die, usually on cylinder 2 for some reason.

Occasionally there are exceptions, but for a completely dead cylinder i'd be looking at the ICM first, or for load related i'd do the coils first.

is there a way i can test the icm or coils because its hard to find problem it when it idles normal

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

boost leak was culprit on mine when was running like this so may be work a quick check??

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

its getting full boost around 10 while the misfire is happening but i just tried running with maf plugged out and it doesnt misfire through the rev range but its only at 5psi boost

Reactions: Browett1982
i done a boost leak check and its all good. maf reading 3.4 g/s on idle at 840 and 10.5 g/s around 2500 rpm

not sure then was just a idea as Iv had these issues previous

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

here is a video

put the MAF back on and unplug the N75 instead. that way you'll still only get 5psi of boost but the MAF will work.

If its still OK, then i'd say its typical coil failure. If its not, then its probably a boost leak.

A boost leak can cause a bog down or hesitiation at mid throttle or initial accellearation that then clears if you keep the foot down. My dads car had a split hose on the inlet manifold (one of the small ones near the throttle) and it was doing exactly that.

if there is no misfire with the n75 unplugged would it be safe to drive it?

still misfiring with n75 unplugged i then tried without maf again and it seems to run much better. is there a way to test the maf sensor?

Last edited:
found this out by accident