B5 S4 owners

millsy75

Reaction score
Evening all, I currently own a S3 8L and am interested in changing to the B5 S4.

Have any of you come from an S3 to an S4? What do you think? Do you get the sense of speed/performance that I get from the smaller S3?

My S3 is running around 330hp with hybrid turbo etc etc etc

I would be looking to buy an S4 with the Ko4 conversion done, have seen a few quoting around 480hp with a host of other mods? Anything to look out for? Is high mileage a problem? 150K?

I came from a highly modified fully forged Evo 6, loved the power just not the chavy image I see the S4 being a pretty perfect discreet understated package

Thanks for the info

The S4 isnt really that much of a bigger car tbh.

Its four inches longer in wheelbase and 14 inches longer overall, most of which is just the overhang of the boot.

Its certainly a better car though. More refined, has more of a quality feel, and the engines power delivery is very different due to being 50% larger.

How is the power delivery different? Lazier? Do you still get the sense of speed in the car?

Thanks for the reply.

I've been out in a B5 S4 with 400bhp and it made for a very refined but rapid car with a very nice power delivery. Saddly this was a few years ago before I started playing with Audi's so am unsure of the spec but can confirm it made its claimed output on a set of Dyno Dynamics rollers at a rolling road day I organised.

Wen it's time to change mine it will be either one of these or an E46 M3

Reactions: millsy75
I'm in a similar boat to you. I went from a modified TT225 (with about 280bhp) to a K04'd s4 with 410bhp.

What I'd say is this. You don't get the same "sense" of speed that you do in a TT. To me the TT always "felt" faster than it actually was. The S4 actually "is" fast. The biggest difference is the torque. The S4 just has buckets of it. The difference of the larger engine is quite pronounced. Mine just seems to pull and pull and pull. The acceleration at 100 feels as hard as it does at 30. I had a 1.8TQS before the TT, so I've also sampled that combination too.

The fulltime 4wd is also far better than the Haldex 4wd (imho) but I got much better mpg in the TT with 280bhp than I did in the TQS with sub 200. S4 mpg isn't THAT much worse than the TQS really.

Ref high mileage. This is NOT a problem provided the car has been looked after and serviced properly. Mine has done over 170k (albeit the engine has been swapped for one with lower miles). I think Aragorn bangs on about this all the time and I agree. Far better to have a high mileage car where it has been looked after and all the dear bits have been done, than a lower mileage car that's been neglected and everything is on the verge of popping.

Ref the Evo comment. I came from a 390bhp Subaru (before my Audis) and my 400bhp S4 would eat it alive. Difference is torque. My Subaru (although much lighter) had 330lbsft. The S4 has 460lbsft. Never driven an Evo, but the Suabru was great on boost but flat as a fart off boost. I think you will be amazed by how lowdown the S4s cars pull from. You won't regret it.

And you are right......they are sooooo discrete. Nobody expects a 15 year old Audi to pass them like they are stopped.

yeh thats pretty much covered it.

The S4 isnt lazy, it picks up its heels and goes from no rpm's with a surge that you dont get from a smaller capacity motor.

But as suggested, its a very smooth engine, so you notice the speed less.

You'll have heard the yank phrase "there aint no replacement for displacement"...

They're not wrong :p

The only downside is the fuel consumption that results from a big engine.

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks for the detailed reply B5QUAT covering all my questions :)

Reactions: B5QUAT
I've just bought an unmodified S4 and I agree with all the comments regards smooth refined power, but I seriously suggest you drive one before you buy, because a standard S4 is going to disappoint you regards how it handles. It can be fixed, but that's going to cost.

After getting out of a stage 2 S3 running 280hp 304lbft into a standard S4 performance wise it does feel a little slow, power delivery and low down pull even in 4th and 5th is much easier but as said previously that's down to the size of the engine. A couple of weeks back I went out with a friend in his 460hp B5 S4 and my god that's one powerful car, its certainly low end super car teritory. The S4 certainly fells a more relaxed drive over an S3 around town driving steady but once modified its no comparison!! I would seriously recommend brake and suspension upgrades if it doesn't already have them though with anything over standard power.

Matt

i went from a 8l s3 running 265bhp to a standard s4, was a bit disappointed with the performance of the s4 as it felt a bit numb. it had loads of low down pull that my s3 didn't have, you can drive around in 6th at 30mph in an s4 and it still pulls away! then I had the s4 remapped to a stage 2+ with a miltek catback, piggies and bailey dv's and had it dyno'd at 342bhp and OH MY how it changed the power delivery. it just pulls and pulls! the 4 wheels drive system is also 10 times better than a haldex

Reactions: millsy75 and AVLO
i went from a 8l s3 running 265bhp to a standard s4, was a bit disappointed with the performance of the s4 as it felt a bit numb. it had loads of low down pull that my s3 didn't have, you can drive around in 6th at 30mph in an s4 and it still pulls away! then I had the s4 remapped to a stage 2+ with a miltek catback, piggies and bailey dv's and had it dyno'd at 342bhp and OH MY how it changed the power delivery. it just pulls and pulls! the 4 wheels drive system is also 10 times better than a haldex

Please take me out in your car! :D

I'll have to have a look out for you, i'm Huddersfield based and work in Halifax! If a tall fella waves, it's me! (Drive a silver b5 1.8TQS).

Thanks guys, yeah I appreciate a standard S4 will feel pretty flat, my S3 is running circa 350hp and if I do decide to buy one, I will for a change buy the car already modified. I have seen a few examples for sale with the KO4 turbos etc fitted quoting power of around 480hp. I believe the block is forged from the factory and good for about 500hp