B6 1.8T Quattro Avant Project

The Muskateer

Reaction score
Hi All, I'm new here. Thought I'd share with you my attempts to get this back to a respectable standard.

I've always wanted another A4 Quattro after my first 1999 1.8T Quattro Sport (180bhp), it was axed by the wife because it didn't have ISOfix. I ended up owning it by accident, I replaced the engine along with a K04 and some other goodies for a mate who had shredded a camshaft, but he got bored during the build and bought a B5 S4. So I started driving it whilst trying to sell it for him but fell in love with it enough to sell my 1994 Coupe. I spent some time restoring to to it's standard form but it was moved on after only a year.

14706854242_ff4e5ed875_c.jpg

So we ended up getting an A3 Sportback (In silver :-D much to my wifes anger, she wanted white). Great car, loved ever moment of it, even if it was a diesel.

19343077723_c8b73d1daa_o.jpg

But now that has moved on and I bought her 'Black Beauty'. Proper 1.8T GTI, 54k miles on it! but boy was the body work rough, drives great but only lasted 3 months and now it's being replaced because 3 doors just isn't cutting it for my 18month old.

26713005621_ca2f766fd8_z.jpg

Which brings us onto the B6, found this in the back and beyond down a farm road, unfortunately it has been parked up for 2 years (much like the other cars in his driveway, 2000 Impreza with weeds growing through it, 2 saxos in bits! and an abandoned T5 Transporter)

29238186922_d0a27fcf70_z.jpg

29059068850_076cc1c582_z.jpg

It's a great spec, 1.8T Quattro BEX 190bhp, 6spd manual. Really nice interior, half leather half suede(?). Like i said been parked for two years, but fired up ok, I've got a bit of experience with these, the engine sounds nice and smooth, he has changed the oil pump pick-up when he bought the car (only done 12k miles in 4 years). But as you can see the body is rough! Needs front wings, boot, possible drivers door. And that's just to start, need to sort those awful alloys!

Any way, picked it up on Monday, going to sort the brakes this weekend to get it back moving, it currently just has rust for discs. Followed very quickly by a full engine service. Can't imagine what that oil is like in the sump.

Will try and keep this updated with all the little bits and pieces I do, overall plan is to get it clean, slightly lowered (respectably) and on some nice OEM 17s or 18s. Much like my other family bus, my B7 Passat.

18340589090_d847d0e049_z.jpg

My wife did manage to get me to buy a white car in the end, my first and last! Can't keep up with the constant cleaning, always looks dirty. If you can't tell, I'm partial to a silver car!

Argh! What a first day working on the B6! Not a great start at all. Started on the brakes, since they were just rust circles.
So Fronts, on the drivers side it wasn't off to a good start when I found the piston boot ripped, managed to clean it up so the caliper was operating smoothly, but long run that will need a seal kit. But then I quickly found that a carrier bolt was sheered, with the top bolt tight there was no movement but astonished someone has left it like that in the past!

28821035703_1303e406d4_z.jpg
[/url]

Anyway so I carried on to the passenger side, where I found both carrier bolts seized solid and ended up sheering both! I ended up having to drill the centre of the bolts out to relief pressure on hub assembly. Never seen this before, but the hub material has swollen and ceased up the bolts, once the carrier came off, I was able to remove one bolt almost by hand, so the bolt threads into the carrier wasn't the issue, just the part of the bolt that goes through the hub.

29408407076_22d5e77cd3_z.jpg
[/url]

As for the rear, they were actually not to bad, drivers side cable is pulled on, I think the cable is seized, need to look into that a bit more. But both wound pack of and sliders and all are fine, one small issues with a seized 13mm bolt through one caliper but I got it free.

Got the engine flushed and oil changed no bother plus a new fuel filter since it's been sitting so long. Need to have another look around the car today to work out what else could be a problem for MOT but hopping to get that done within the next few weeks. Stuck some VW alloys I had sitting in the garage on it, looks much more presentable, not a great style of alloy but at least they are clean and have good tyres on all 4. Trying to talk the wife into buying a set of A4 B7 DTM alloys, there's a guy not to far away selling two sets, but shes not biting yet!

28821035563_8196695b7a_z.jpg
[/url]

Oh man, never had so much hassle with a car in my life! (There is a lack of photos, I'm bad for not taking them during work)

Brakes took me an age to sort out, fronts needed the slider rubbers removed and holes polished out, nice and smooth afterwards. On the drivers front I had to polish the piston to prevent it binding once it was built back up, will need to probably replace this with a new caliper in the future, but good enough to get through mot. Rears, drivers side cable ended up just needing the adjustment at the lever reset, which was a good excuse to remove the centre console and clean up 140k miles of grime and trust me there was a lot of it! Was scratching my head for hours, every time I bolted the wheels on the rear brakes would bind, as soon as the wheel bolts were slackened they were free again, tried different alloys, couldn't figure it out. Ended up being a build up of rust on the carriers, as the wheel bolts were tightened the disc was resting solid again this rust, honestly was driving me insane trying to work that one out!

Last job to tackle before mot was the wiper blades, they were seized, so I removed them to try and free the joints off, first one stripped and rebuilt no bother, second...it snapped! Argh two days before my mot, thankfully my old boss had just replaced some on an A4 the week before and still had the seized linkage, got that off him on the Thursday night and managed to free off both sides, built the lot back up and it's perfect.

Got it mot'd on Friday, only failed on two things; ABS system not working (sensor was in the post got it Sat) and number plate lights not working, which I ran out of time to have a look at (was hoping it would just be a bulb..it wasn't).

So started to fix the mot issues and a few others on Sat morning, got a new wheel bearing in on the drivers front, luckily this was the corner that needed the ABS sensor as well, bought an ebay special only to find it had a 5 pin plug instead of the 4 pin that was on mine (only 4 wires in it, so no idea why it have 5 pins) so just removed each pin and fitted the original plug (wired it back to front first time) then fitted the 2nd lambda sensor...which is a total B*****D to get to, eventually managed it but then had the hassle of changing the loom side plug (which was supplied with the Bosch sensor) total pain stripping the original one but went back together nicely and sorted out my idle/mixture problems.

Then onto the bulbs, this one took me a while as well. To cut a long story short the bulb keeper must have an internal brake on it, one side was just a bulb the other wasn't getting a feed. Did a little damage getting the holder/boot release unit out, but manage to cut into the loom and wire the lights up myself, just with out the use of the boot release. Just a temporary measure, should hopefully sort a new part soon, will be enough to get it through mot, left the inside of the boot off to be able to still open the boot for the mean time if I need.

But at the very end of all this work today, I made a huge balls up and the car slipped sideways when I was jacking it up, jack then got jammed against the bottom of the door...it ain't gonna polish out. It is the only door with a rust hole in it, but just makes it looks so much worse right now until I get started on body panels.

29662164552_a9e3b76832_c.jpg

Will be getting retested tomorrow so it will finally be road legal, then time to start on a deep clean of the interior and exterior, possibly a decent polish of any panels that won't be getting replaced/painted. Body part might take a while, but at least it's nearly there with the mechanical side of things.

Reactions: Nahk and QuattroCalum
Wondering why it was off the road in the first place? Keep up the good work.

I was in the same situation, bought a bit of a dog but slowly it's getting there. Keep up the good work! :)