B6 A4 Cabriolet Buyer's Guide? Tips?

Veero

Reaction score
My other half has borrowed the A4 a few times now and with some gentle suggestion I have encouraged her to look for an A4 Convertible.

I'm aware of most of the common issues buying a B6 but are there any particular aspects to look out for when considering a cabriolet? Are there any specific buying guides anywhere?

Are they particularly noisy with the roof up on the motorway? Been in a few convertibles and some (especially the Mini) are verging on uncomfortably noisy at 70+.

If there's no specific guide can anyone give a few pointers? Looking to spend around £4k, found a 100k red 1.8t manual with full red leather interior, pimpin'! Might have a look since it didn't reach reserve on eBay.

Cheers
Veero

I've had mine for a year now and there were only afew minor things that I didn't notice when buying it. Check the roof box in the boot.these are prone to breaking (mine was) but I managed to fix it with afew household bits and an hour of time. Roof obviously check it opens and closes as it should do, check the roof key is in the car, this will be in the fuse box. Then the usal a4 things, glove box hinge broken and armrest catch broken. Also check the seats moveforward to let rear passenger in.

As for noise, I do motorway driving a lot and my cab is nearly as quiet as out Audi a3. I'm not sure if mine has the acoustic roof though as mine is double skinned, not sure if that's normal or not.

Buying guide. = buy one lol.

No I've had mine nearly two years and I don't normally keep cars that long but this I just love and when the summers here its even better.

As for noise on motorway the isn't any tbh not like other convertibles. My gf has a mk1 tt convertable and there's allot more noise.

Buying quide a nice colour with a good interior (leather) is a winner bad colour and intrrior choice u will struggle to sell.

+1 for Heated Seats and check the roof stowage box lever is functioning. As said already, obviously check the roof open and close operation is functioning correctly too and the general condition of the fabric. Also check the rear glass window is correctly fixed/ attached to the roof fabric as these cant be repaired easily once they come slightly detached and also check that the rear demister is working correctly.

Thanks for the info guys. Yes function will be checked carefully. We will probably look a at few to get a good feel for them, unfortunately they're not too common and the ones that fit the bill seem to be a fair distance away so I think it will be a few months before we find 'The One'.

Good news about the noise levels too.

Forgot to mention in my earlier post about the noise or should I say lack of it when on a motorway. It really is very quiet with the acoustic hood and apart from a little less headroom you really wouldn't know you were in a cabriolet, they really are that good.

We haven't even looked at one yet, is the presence of an acoustic hood blindingly obvious or is it a more subtle difference?

I'm not sure if the acoustic roof is standered or not. Only reason I noticed it in mine is after going in my mates tt, his roof is liturally just the roof fabric being seen from the inside and all the roof bars being visible from the inside. On my a4 I have a second fabric layer over the inside of the roof which hides all the roof bars and obviously acts as sound proofing.

If your going 1.8t check for sludge just remove oil filler cap amd take a good look, if its full of sludge then youve got a bargaining tool to get it fixed! Or dont touch it

I'm pretty sure that the acoustic hood was a B7 option and wasn't offered on the B6, but as everyone has said the car is quiet anyway. One thing to check is the radio, as the aerial is in the boot lid and the cable is prone to breaking over time. Glovebox hinge is another common issue and the cabriolet glovebox is more difficult to repair than the others, as it has wires running through the hinge for the central locking which the saloons/avants dont have.

My roof has a layer of felt like material under the outer black skin which I always assumed was soundproofing.

Yes me too, I thought mine was as it feels like there are 3 layers, the outer fabric , a thick foamy feeling sandwiched layer and then the inner lining. But I read somewhere , might have been the B7 brochure, that the B7 had a new optional acoustic hood. Not sure how you'd tell the difference though.

Oh one other thing, what sort of realistic mileage do you guys get from the 2.4 and 3.0s?

I have a 2.4 petrol and I get 24 mpg average....less sometimes, bit higher on long runs. My DIS rarely says 30+

3.0 multitronic here and it practically mirrors Cabbyfan's 2.4 . Dis is showing average 23.9 which is mostly short commutes(less than 10 miles) . On a run it will crack into the 30's especially if using the cruise control.

Hmm I'm thinking a 1.8T will be the order of business, mainly from an economy perspective. A v6 will be wasted on the missus so it wouldn't be an attractive selling feature.

how do you know if you have a b6 b7 ive got a a4 06/56 1.8t cab thanks

B7 is the change of grill from the two grills to just one big one,has diff headlights and diff rear lights,56 plate should be a b7. Unless my thoughts on b6/b7 is wrong.

Had my cab just over 2 years and I still totally love driving it, roof up or roof down, it's a fab car :)

just had my 1.8T sline cab for over a week now and Im loving it - check theres no whistling with the windows up wen on a test drive - as others have said check for the glove box (mine is kinda broken and dont know yet how im gona fix it) - agree with cookies re colour and interior - easier to shift when you come to sell - i dont know why you would tho :) unless getting another A4 cab:)

here is my cab

20130302 164454

My glove box was broken and prob the only thing I havnt fixed.

Finding one that's not from audi as about £160 I've not done so still broken. I suppose stops me filling with rubbish.

Reference the post on colour and interior, no offence to anyone but I have a huge dislike of the blue interiors Audi used to use ! Took me ages to find a car with the right spec, colour and interior....

this is mine :)

IMAG0586.jpg

Last edited:
Cab all the way. Check mine in my build thread. I got the 2.4 and get 21.9mpg. If you going for the Multitronic gearbox please check the service history for oil change! Check for any engine oil leaks too especially on the head level not only the gasket but leaks from the shaft seal too. Just look at the alternator see if it is greasy then you will know! TAKE A FLASHLIGHT!

You don't live far from Bristol if you want you can pop over one day and we can take my car for a drive.

Oh yes and look for the SPORT version. Because the seats look silly in the standard version. :)

Don't get a diesel. Top down is just too loud.

Watch S02E08 of Top Gear they review the cab there.

Good luck!

Last edited: