B6 Cabriolet headlights

stevey83

Reaction score
Hi. First post!

I recently bought a 2002 A4 B6 cabriolet which had cheap looking aftermarket headlights fitted, and my DIS also displaying headlight level fault. I’ve scanned with VCDS but not getting a connection to the control module.

I’m not sure if the headlight level controllers are in these cheap headlight units, but I’ve bought a set of halogen OEM units off eBay. Have I made a mistake? I’m not sure when I connect these up are the standard headlight levels going to work correctly with the car? It must have originally had Xenons. Or does it just need recoding to halogen?

Ideally what I would like is to fit xenons at a later date, but would like to sort out the fault. I’ve removed the fuse as a temporary measure to stop the DIS showing the fault.

Thanks Steve

You can disable xenon self levelling in vcds.

Tell tale sign is a sensor arms fastened to a front suspension strut and diagonally opossed on the rear suspension.

Reactions: DrStrange
Thanks for the reply. I know it can be turned off, but i would prefer to get it working. I have no communication with the controller as well, so that would need looking at as well! I have the headlight washers in the front bumper as well.

You need to check if the levelling sensors are present on the suspension arms.

Check the PR codes in the tyre well or inner page of service schedule book, put them into a PR decoder found online and that will tell you what light the car had from factory.

No level control in he car. I know it should have xenons installed. What would cause the no response from controller though? Is it the headlights or is it the controller behind the glovebox, or the adjusters on the suspension arms?

If no comms with the controller, either check the fuses or pull glove box out and check the module itself. The wires may have been cut to try and prevent the warning light. Or the module is faulty hence the reason for aftermarket lights fitted?

If vcds could communicate with the module it would state which fault I. E. Level sensor or headlight fault. But as you can't connect to the module, you need to check that first. Then see what codes come up from the module.

Thanks for the replies again. I think the lights were replaced a while back as it failed an mot for poor light output.

I’ll have to check the controller and order a new one I think

New headlights fitted, level fault has gone away. Still no connection to the controller though?!

Im happy for now though, next onto the parking sensors!