B6 to B7 Cabriolet Rear Light Upgrade

rjm180

Reaction score
I've just had my B6 Cabriolet Rear Lights upgraded to the B7 version by Nigel, NHN and the results are fantastic. As always Nigel completed a very professional install, modified wiring looms, connectors and re-coded the new lights.

I was only going to upgrade the left and right lenses but Nigel suggested changing the centre brake light as well to complete the B7 rear look and I must say he was right as always. I think most of us overlook the centre light and dont bother to change it but the B7 centre light is definitely a much better looking light and changing all 3 rear lights has totally transformed the rear look of the car and given it a much newer feel.

As always a Big Thanks to Nigel for a great job, great advice and a top professional service.

I'm thinking of having the lower rear valance painted to a satin black, or maybe wrapping it in a satin black could be a more durable option as there is bound to be a bit of debris flying up around that area. Painting it could show any stone chips. Not over keen on the grey colour it is as standard at the moment, any thoughts?

S4 Rear Light Pic 2

S4 Rear Light Pic 3

S4 Rear Light Pic 4

S4 Rear Light Pic 1

Last edited:
Reactions: NHN
ive done my rear lamps, but want the centre light doing, any idea of costs
1471098 10152872044899066 2561571557479262771 n

Reactions: DrStrange
I'm not sure exactly but I think it was £50 or £60 from Audi.

Any thoughts on my lower valance?

personnally I like the grey on Black it looks good ;)

I'd have a look at that rear Numberplate of yours though mate.. not sure the "PLOD" will accept all that Pixelation as Legal LMAO :laugh:

Reactions: rjm180 and DrStrange
Ha, yes I agree doesn't look very legal does it.

Ok, thanks for you thoughts on the valance, it's just I'm not sure it looks right with all the chrome from the exhausts. Too much grey/ silver shinyness going on. What's better spraying or wrapping. I have no experience of wrapping and would get it done properly by a company as I would if I was to get it sprayed.

as I stated I like the Grey look, offsets the rear end great IMHO but its your car, so you need to do what makes YOU happy..I also have never wrapped but from looking at threads on this site seems "relatively straightforward/easy" to those that have been brave enough to take the plunge themselves..as you Laquer over the wrap it would give the extra element of protection against stone chips I guess as you could go "heavy" on the Lacquer..just my 2cents worth ;)

Reactions: rjm180
As always Ryan, absolute pleasure to see you & family again.

I was very happy with the results, the center light makes a vast difference tbh, as small as it seems & sides speak for themselves.

No adapters used, some resistors but overall 99% oem so I'm very satisfied with the results.

Glad you're very happy mate & thanks for the kind words, much appreciated.

I would say painting/lacquering would be best tbh, given area it will be very durable as no stones flip up or hit that area tbh, I wouldn't worry to much Ryan :)

Any thoughts on my lower valance?

Firstly rjm180, GREAT JOB on the look of your retrofitted lights! Will definitely be doing this myself soon. My opinion is quite strong on your question so will add my 2pence..

With a black car, I think it would be best to leave it as it is. It looks good. Black on black is probably a bit much and looses that contrasting character about it and becomes a bit overkill.

Im pretty much going to be doing the opposite to you. Silver car with gloss black valance to match the gloss black wheels ive just put on.

Of course, either way you go..keep us posted. Good looking car!

Thanks for all your comments Gents. Its good to know what you guys think.

Reactions: DrStrange
As always Ryan, absolute pleasure to see you & family again.

I was very happy with the results, the center light makes a vast difference tbh, as small as it seems & sides speak for themselves.

No adapters used, some resistors but overall 99% oem so I'm very satisfied with the results.

Glad you're very happy mate & thanks for the kind words, much appreciated.

I would say painting/lacquering would be best tbh, given area it will be very durable as no stones flip up or hit that area tbh, I wouldn't worry to much Ryan :)

Hi Nigel, does the centre brake light require 6.8ohm 20w resistors? I haven't yet made the upgrade but looking to do any day soon.

I have Ross tech full version with unlimited vin cable. Do you also know what code changes need to be made? Many thanks.

The center brake light reversed polarity iirc, switch wires round.