B7 dipped headlights not working

AvantAlexB7

Reaction score
So i have an interesting problem with my Avant headlights, regarding dipped beam.

When the headlights are turned off the main beam flasher works fine.

With the light switch set to "auto" , side lights or dipped lights, the main beam bulbs don't flash, despite the blue symbol being displayed in the instrument cluster.

Looking at the headlight bulbs with the dipped lights turned on, it seems that the car is using the main beam bulbs for dips instead of the actual dip bulbs despite the main beam not being turned on.

Its an awkward fault to explain and a strange one too. Has anyone else come across this?

The headlights haven't been tampered but i did retrofit auto lights a month or so ago which seemed to work perfectly until i noticed this today. Obviously with the longer daylight hours the lights aren't something thats been used much recently. Maybe its a fault with the retrofit.

So i have an interesting problem with my Avant headlights, regarding dipped beam.

When the headlights are turned off the main beam flasher works fine.

With the light switch set to "auto" , side lights or dipped lights, the main beam bulbs don't flash, despite the blue symbol being displayed in the instrument cluster.

Looking at the headlight bulbs with the dipped lights turned on, it seems that the car is using the main beam bulbs for dips instead of the actual dip bulbs despite the main beam not being turned on.

Its an awkward fault to explain and a strange one too. Has anyone else come across this?

The headlights haven't been tampered but i did retrofit auto lights a month or so ago which seemed to work perfectly until i noticed this today. Obviously with the longer daylight hours the lights aren't something thats been used much recently. Maybe its a fault with the retrofit.
How did you do the retrofit, did you change the loom or just rewired the existing one?

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk

How did you do the retrofit, did you change the loom or just rewired the existing one?

You helped me do the retrofit buddy, many messages back and fourth around a month ago. The auto function works great just with the wrong lights! Lol

You helped me do the retrofit buddy, many messages back and fourth around a month ago. The auto function works great just with the wrong lights! Lol
Yeah of course I remember, we did the auto lights but I wasn't there when you did the lights.
When you turn on the high beam can you hear the flaps moving?

Yeah of course I remember, we did the auto lights but I wasn't there when you did the lights.
When you turn on the high beam can you hear the flaps moving?

I believe the high beam works fine, but the car is using the main beam bulbs instead of the dipped bulbs, so ofcourse the main bulbs are already illuminated with the dips turned on

I will attempt to take a video to better explain the issue, its difficult to describe the fault as its a little confusing

When i did the retrofit i remember that i had to change the location of one of the wires for the dimmer to work. And you have to make sure the programing is correct.

When i did the retrofit i remember that i had to change the location of one of the wires for the dimmer to work. And you have to make sure the programing is correct.

Do you remember which wire you relocated? My dimming mirror doesn't dim but i assumed the conditions had to be correct

Do you remember which wire you relocated? My dimming mirror doesn't dim but i assumed the conditions had to be correct
Sorry by dimmer i meant high beam. Im waiting for the video to fully understand the problem.

Sorry by dimmer i meant high beam. Im waiting for the video to fully understand the problem.

Apologies for the slackness on my behalf regarding a vid of the issue, it completely slipped my mind.

However on the journey home tonight i remembered that i was playing with some coding setting for the headlights a while back. My intentions were to turn on the US spec indicator running lights (i think theres a proper name) anyway i found some info on the web and gave it a shot, turns out it nothing seemed to change so left it with the new coding installed.

My thinking is the lights are know set to US spec, and they use lights differently in the states.

My next issue is, i cant remember how i changed the coding, for me to be able to revert back to original.

Also ive tried fitting the original 3 position light switch and that still works the same as the auto version.

Cheers

Some good news for a change, by using the info you put up ive sorted the lights out. The soft coding was incorrect. I thought that the high was in use all the time hence no flash, it appears that main beam was, in a fashion, turned off.
Anyway re coded and seems to be working fine.

Can you change the sensitivity of the light sensor? For example when driving into a dark overgrown section on a road, i do find that they dont always turn on quick enough, then once throught the dark area they take a while to turn off again.

Something else i had noticed with auto lights, there appears to be 2 variations in interior lighting when the headlights turn on.

Sometimes you get headlights but not interior dash lighting, other times you get full exterior and interior lighting (full night time mode)

If you have any suggestions let me know

Cheers chaps

Some good news for a change, by using the info you put up ive sorted the lights out. The soft coding was incorrect. I thought that the high was in use all the time hence no flash, it appears that main beam was, in a fashion, turned off.
Anyway re coded and seems to be working fine.

Can you change the sensitivity of the light sensor? For example when driving into a dark overgrown section on a road, i do find that they dont always turn on quick enough, then once throught the dark area they take a while to turn off again.

Something else i had noticed with auto lights, there appears to be 2 variations in interior lighting when the headlights turn on.

Sometimes you get headlights but not interior dash lighting, other times you get full exterior and interior lighting (full night time mode)

If you have any suggestions let me know

Cheers chaps
Hey Alex, the guide I shared, go to channel 21 i forgot if you increase or decrease the value, ill check the settings on my car tonight.
I have noticed before the auto lights that my dashboard used to light up when going into a tunnel, never really gave it much thought or investigation.

Alex the more you increase the less the sensitivity