b7 s4 4.2 v8

southylad

Reaction score
Hi i am thinking of changing my a3 tdi for a b7 s4 v8 but after reading up a bit i am very worried with all the talk of cam chains, is it a real worry or a bit of hipe as i will only be able to afford a 100,000 ish mile s4 any advice would be great thanks

Hi i am thinking of changing my a3 tdi for a b7 s4 v8 but after reading up a bit i am very worried with all the talk of cam chains, is it a real worry or a bit of hipe as i will only be able to afford a 100,000 ish mile s4 any advice would be great thanks

Hi, the cam tensioner issue derives from the engines not being serviced with the right oil, overly long service intervals, or not topping the oil up.

The V8 engine has been used across the Audi range, it's just the S4 tends to attract the negative comments. The cam tensioner failure is rare, as is gearbox failure.

I bought a B7 S4 Avant in December 2014 and have put 15k miles on it with no issues at all.

In summary - it's down to the car and the history and the owner(s). They are made to be driven hard, but they can take it.

I'm selling mine if you are interested - it's on pistonheads.
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...udi-s4-avant-b7-quattro-auto--fsh/5305490?v=b

Thanks for reply mate think ive looked at it on ebay looks sweet and yes it would do me but i need to sell my a3 yet before buying to get cash together so you havd never had any sign of rattle on cold start?

No, it's mechanically spot on. Cosmetically, it's 10 years with a couple of scuffs and some roadrash from the motorway.

Is your A3 a tdi? If so, PM me the spec and some photos.

Hi Mate,

I have just sold my S4 today and traded it in for an S6. I bought it at 89k Miles and I sold it on 113k. Inbetween those miles I ran it on Fuchs Titan Race Pro S 5W-40 to give the chains/tensioners a decent life with regular oil changes. I can't deny once it hit 100k I wasnt worried as there was always a little startup rattle. After that it was totally fine. Ironically however, the only reason I traded it in was for fear of a tensioner failure/chain snapping. Although I still think it is rare to happen...just very unlucky if you take care of the car as you should.

Hi Mate,

I have just sold my S4 today and traded it in for an S6. I bought it at 89k Miles and I sold it on 113k. Inbetween those miles I ran it on Fuchs Titan Race Pro S 5W-40 to give the chains/tensioners a decent life with regular oil changes. I can't deny once it hit 100k I wasnt worried as there was always a little startup rattle. After that it was totally fine. Ironically however, the only reason I traded it in was for fear of a tensioner failure/chain snapping. Although I still think it is rare to happen...just very unlucky if you take care of the car as you should.
Cheers for reply mate so you did have a cold start rattle but nothing more so far im feeling a little better but as you said you were worried aswell

No, it's mechanically spot on. Cosmetically, it's 10 years with a couple of scuffs and some roadrash from the motorway.

Hi mate my a3 is a red s line 2l tdi sportback your car looks ok on ebay just missing a couple of extras i was looking for such as nav also my mrs is not keen on avants

20l tdi sline 56 plate 127.000 miles full history half leather rotors st1 remap full custom fabricated stainless exaust black front grill cruise
20140420 131240
20140505 123832
20140420 131240

20140505 123832

I think generally everything said here is correct.

Startup rattle is normal to a point, but depends on how long and how severe. As for how often do they go? Well, I think its rather a lot more than just a random event, BUT the internet being as it is, you always hear the bad, and never the good.

And lets be honest, how many cars out there are plagued with issues such as these..........****** loads. Best thing to do, is to not worry about it, otherwise you'll worry yourself into selling it (which I've nearly done before lol)

Cheers for reply mate so you did have a cold start rattle but nothing more so far im feeling a little better but as you said you were worried aswell

Yes mate startup rattle only, however went on for a second longer than I liked it too. Probably still normal on startup but as Rambo mentioned above you only hear about the bad ones, and I indeed worried myself into selling it lol.

If you go and see it and start it up and there is little rattle then you are good to go tbh.

I think generally everything said here is correct.

Startup rattle is normal to a point, but depends on how long and how severe. As for how often do they go? Well, I think its rather a lot more than just a random event, BUT the internet being as it is, you always hear the bad, and never the good.

And lets be honest, how many cars out there are plagued with issues such as these..........****** loads. Best thing to do, is to not worry about it, otherwise you'll worry yourself into selling it (which I've nearly done before lol)
Cheers for reply mate yeh the internet does seem to only flag up the bad just scared me a bit as i am going to be pushing it a bit funding wise buying the car in the first place and i guess running and maintaining costs are not going to be cheap either without this kind of cost

Yes mate startup rattle only, however went on for a second longer than I liked it too. Probably still normal on startup but as Rambo mentioned above you only hear about the bad ones, and I indeed worried myself into selling it lol.

If you go and see it and start it up and there is little rattle then you are good to go tbh.
I will be very causious i think mate as i cant afford a 4k repare bill

Reactions: Av4nt
Audi Servicing of the B7 S4 is not too bad. £265 for an intermediate service and £550ish for a major service. Intervals are under 10k miles.

These are premium cars though, we can't expect them to be cheap to service as a Focus.

get one thats got good history and you'll love it! Mines now on 92000 having bought her with 82,000 in November 2015, great car but need good maint.

Nige

Reactions: southylad
i had mine for 9 years with very few problems
i fitted a kit to stop the tensioners from slacking off overnight , worked perfectly not a hint of chain rattle
which is what causes the guides to wear prematurely and eventually fail

Reactions: southylad
Ah dualmono the good old Pre-oiler kit :D

Reactions: dualmono21 and southylad
i had mine for 9 years with very few problems
i fitted a kit to stop the tensioners from slacking off overnight , worked perfectly not a hint of chain rattle
which is what causes the guides to wear prematurely and eventually fail
Hi mate what was the cost of the kit and is it an easy diy fit or not ?

get one thats got good history and you'll love it! Mines now on 92000 having bought her with 82,000 in November 2015, great car but need good maint.

Nige
Will try to mate im sure i will love it what do you pay for road tax as ive read 290 and 500 before ?

Older models are £290 and newer £500. I think the switchover was early 2006? I might be wrong.

But if you're worrying about that, then the v8 isn't for you, as depending on the condition/maintenance of the car you buy will quickly soak up that difference, that's from experience!

yes mate
i fitted mine myself with basic tools , easy enough to fit and worked exceptionally well
never had chain rattle again after fitting
brand new depending on the size of the kit they can be had from as little as 400 quid for the small ones
to around 600 for the large ones

Bought my s4 with 86k miles 3 years ago and now on 114k. Used daily has had the 1 second rattle on start up but always serviced on time and hasn't got any worse so doesn't bother me. Am currently looking for a rs4 though