B8 3.0tdi - steering rack issue? Clonking and noise when braking?

bhodgkiss

Reaction score
Hi All

I have a B8 3.0tdi Avant at 240k miles.

All front suspension (shocks, springs, arms top mounts) replaced 9 months back

Now I have drive side front knocking over cobbles, a driver side front rubbing noise under heavy braking, and it clunks a bit when low speed turning sharp left/right

Its been to the garage today (who did the previous work, good guys with good audi knowledge) and they think steering rack

Would this give all these symptoms please?

If so, where can i get a cheap reconditioned steering rack please?

The only comment I have is that on the front driver side, they couldnt replace the top arms last time around as the pinch bolt is bent, and they think they'll damage the upright getting it off. But I cant feel any play in the upper arms.

Any help appreciated please!

I don't think you would get a rubbing noise under heavy braking with a steering rack. It's possible you have more than 1 issue though. Assume they have discounted ARB links / bushes. It's possible there is wear in the steering arm UJ's .
Part 3 in the exploded diagram. There are several different versions of steering rack fitted to the cars so make sure you get the right part number.
https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+a4+avant/a4/2008-636/4/422-422010/#3

If they removed subframe for any reason and didn't replace the bolts you will notice "clunks." It's an easy miss and an easy fix. They're stretch bolts and SUPPOSED to be one time use, but people reuse them all the time without realizing it.

Thanks Both
Yes good point about subframe bolts
I’ve read on various forums that reusing these can then lead to knocking

How difficult is a a steering rack change on a b8 please?

GSF have 60% off, so a £900 rack is £360, then I get £120 back for my old one too, so actually not bad

I have vcds for any sensor setup afterwards

Ok so I picked the car up and spoke with the mechanic
He can feel play between steering rack and the intermediate shaft that links up to the steering column (the intermediate shaft is item 3, below)

He says fairly common as its such a poor design in terms of angle...

Not sure if the wear is on the rack side or the intermediate shaft said - theyd suggest just changing both.....

I have read about lubricating this universal joint (fairly easily done) and the knocking can go away, so I'll try this

Not sure if this intermediate shaft is available from GSF etc? I cant see it on GSF

Last edited:
Wouldn't have thought that part would be available anywhere other than the dealers. I would go with some lube and see if that improves or stops the noise. If so you know where the issue is. They appear to be the same part on the A4 / A5 so probably pick one up from a second hand breaker. The kind of part that they probably normally scrap.

Did you get to this issue sorted? I have the exact same issue with my 2014 2.0tdi B8 avant with 72k miles. Had all the arms done recently but the knocking and clicking persists. Mechanic suggested running it till it worsens which I’m not overly happy about but the problem is not obvious to him. Maybe a trip to the dealer to get it diagnosed soon for me. Cheers