B8.5 143 TDI Engine Temperature

Zafi

Reaction score
Now the weather is much colder my car takes ages to get up to temperature. Even after my 30 mile cross country drive it does not reach 90. Takes at least 15 miles to get to 75.

Is this normal on the 143 B8.5 auto?

How long did it take in good weather, for me that's not bad & not exactly worrying either, also as its a diesel it will have an aux heater to get warmer air in the car quicker aswell or at least it should anyway lol.

The problem with diesels and more so with modern ones is the thermal efficiency is so good. If you don't burn fuel you don't make heat.
See loads of these threads every year, sometimes it can be related to a fault most of the time it's the nature of the engine, The amount the heater cools the engine is more than enough to keep it cool. If you turn your heater down and put your foot down a bit the car will warm up faster. In your case It seems to me that after 30 miles it possibly should be at 90, but if your bimbling along at 50mph getting good mpg then the engines likely not to get hot.
Try wearing some warmer clothes and turn the heater down.

Karl.

I drove it about 7 miles with the heater off but it still did not warm up.

Going to stick some card in front of the radiator :)

As thermostats get old they can fail by not fully closing, which allows water through the radiator before the car is up to temperature. What is the age and mileage of the car? Also if the car has ever overheated for some reason (such as a waterpump failure) it can ruin the spring in the thermostat. I would change the thermostat with a genuine part. From experience i would avoid non-oem thermostats.

I'm going to mention it at service time, don't worry ;)

Just had my 2.0tdi 177bhp A4 B8 2012 back from Audi. Same problem. Cold weather, not getting warm. I've seen the technical documentation from Audi that details weather colder than 5degrees when the climate control is set to more than 22degrees can cause the engine temperature to fluctuate between 50-70 degrees, even after the engine had got to temperature. This problem is most prevelant when driven at low revs. Basically the ceramic auxiliary heater cannot warm the cabin enough so the car draws heat from the engine, which causes it to run cooler.
At the same time they gave me this advise, they also changed the EGR valve, which could have made the temperature slightly lower but not the cause.

Yeah, I saw that document too.

By fully blanking the radiator by inserting vinyl flooring between the 2 radiators the temperature gets up to 90 quickly and stays there even on a 100 mile motorway run.

I've had new thermostats before this? Seems to be ok now. Although only had it back today.

Strange. U could cook an egg on my turbo after a mile in my TFSI. Probably as its burned off all its oil again...