B8.5 143bhp tdi tick over

Marky007

A6 Black edition / A4 Sline / A1 Sport
Reaction score
Hi guys wondering if anyone has noticed a funny sort of tick over difficult to explain but rpm stays at 900 ticking over doesn't budge but it's like aircon is being turn off and on every 10 to 15 seconds slight jump and decrease in rpm it's a 2012 143 bhp 2.0 tdi with 84k.
Don't know if it's just me or there's something up. Car runs sweet no faults dpf is good. Always used decent fuel
Thanks mark

Hey Marky, do you have a video of it happening?

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk

Should be buying a black edition 2.0 TDI soon how's your ownership

Hey Marky, do you have a video of it happening?

Tried to video it but you can't hear it
Its like it's slightly put under load (like air con put on then off) is best way to describe it.

Tried to video it but you can't hear it
Its like it's slightly put under load (like air con put on then off) is best way to describe it.
There could be lots reasons why it could happen to be honest. I had a rough idle issue with my old 143BHP A4 but it was down to the EGR valve being caked in carbon. Some tlc with a can of EGR cleaner sorted the issue but my engine had around 187,000km on the clock on it at the time. Unless your car has been doing lots of city/town driving then that's possibly not the issue, but it might be worth taking a look to see anyway.

If that's not the issue then maybe there's a small vacuum leak somewhere, a sensor (MAF, O2...some other one) is starting to go and is throwing off the ECU or maybe an injector is a bit clogged up. Gremlins like that can be tricky to find!

Apologies I couldn't be of more help, fingers crossed it's only something minor anyway. Those engines are seriously strong so I wouldn't be overly concerned with it.

Reactions: Marky007
There could be lots reasons why it could happen to be honest. I had a rough idle issue with my old 143BHP A4 but it was down to the EGR valve being caked in carbon. Some tlc with a can of EGR cleaner sorted the issue but my engine had around 187,000km on the clock on it at the time. Unless your car has been doing lots of city/town driving then that's possibly not the issue, but it might be worth taking a look to see anyway.

If that's not the issue then maybe there's a small vacuum leak somewhere, a sensor (MAF, O2...some other one) is starting to go and is throwing off the ECU or maybe an injector is a bit clogged up. Gremlins like that can be tricky to find!

Apologies I couldn't be of more help, fingers crossed it's only something minor anyway. Those engines are seriously strong so I wouldn't be overly concerned with it.

Thanks am not shy what the spanners so will take a look at egr 80% is town driving.
I do want egr mapped out.

Think a Italian tune up is in order too :racer:

Thanks am not shy what the spanners so will take a look at egr 80% is town driving.
I do want egr mapped out.

Think a Italian tune up is in order too :racer:
Best of luck with it, let us know how you get on!