B8.5 S4 Front License Plate Holder / Frame / Mount

ThatOneDude

Reaction score
I got a ticket for no front plate. Now I need to install the plate and get it signed off by an officer.

What do you guys suggest I do?

Am I supposed to just drill holes directly into my front grill? Will a standard frame holder work or do I really need the entire mounting piece?

I've looked extensively online for mounts and holders and I am not finding anything specific to the S4 front grill. Only universal stuff. Wth doesn't Audi have a simple accommodation for this?

Thanks Phill. I went to my local Walmart and Home Depot to try to get something like that, but they didn't have anything even close. All they had were the tiny strips to hang a small picture and those weren't thick enough. Or they had thick foam weatherstripping but only one side was sticky.

I don't necessarily mind drilling holes as long as the result is very clean and properly done. But it's weird because it's not like the Audi S4 grill is like drywall. Is it thick/deep enough to bore a thread with enough grip to hold a screw? Like I said... honestly this seems so silly. They should have just put the holes there and added nice looking black caps to give it a clean look for anyone that doesn't ever need a front plate.

Mate what about contacting someone like ECS. You have access to huge after market automotive suppliers in the US. I'd be very surprised if they didn't have exactly what you are looking for. We put our plates in frames that have a perspex cover. The drill holes are discreet.

Never thought I would be saying this. Email SuperCheap Autos here. See if they will mail an Altrex plate cover to the US. They are a very neat finish to plates.

Aha. Not sure how you would tackle this without doing it properly. We use the grilles here that have the European plate section across the front of them. In Australia it is a requirement to display plates front and rear. The ECS expensive one looks like a smaller, or "clip on" adapter of what I allude to. I can't quite see from your photo but I'm assuming that's an RS4 grille. Perhaps a bracket from inside the grille if you don't want to go down the ECS pathway?

Bracket from inside sounds good. I just am not finding anything to make it happen.

The only other option is to special order the entire front grill with plate holster included from Audi and from what I've heard it's bonkers money.

Here's the front super up close. It's the standard B8.5 S4 grill just with the black out package.

6 Morning After   2 Coats of Nano Resin 5

and look what I found online. I would do exactly this look. I don't mind the license plate on the front if it's done well like this.

Audi S4 with license plate on front

IMHO why not get it sorted out like the second picture and be done with it. If you can get an infringement ticket fot not displaying front plates it sounds like you require a permanent solution? That set up looks good. Plus I really like the S4 Black Optics grille.

Reactions: ThatOneDude
Is that the light or do you have Glacier wing mirrors on an S4? Or is it both cars?

IMHO why not get it sorted out like the second picture and be done with it. If you can get an infringement ticket fot not displaying front plates it sounds like you require a permanent solution? That set up looks good. Plus I really like the S4 Black Optics grille.

I don't disagree with you. I like that one quite well, but the only thing I can find that would work with my grill perfectly like that picture is that $200 piece from ECS and to be honest, that is a total rip off. Maybe if it was 100% real carbon fiber throughout then $200 would make sense, but I dunno. Looks like a $40 piece max so I am having a hard time with pulling the trigger on that thing.

Is that the light or do you have Glacier wing mirrors on an S4? Or is it both cars?

My side mirrors are Glacier. Top pic is mine after I applied Dr Beasley's Nano Resin. Bottom pic is random from the internet. :)

There are lots and lots of other companies to look at in the US. I'd be onto the net. ECS is just one of many.

Apart from ebay which I'm not much of a fan, Europaparts have a selection of S4 grille plates. Still up there price wise , but a little less. Plain black is $175. Thats a start. I got my supercharged wing badges from these guys. They have a lot of stuff mate.

Apart from ebay which I'm not much of a fan, Europaparts have a selection of S4 grille plates. Still up there price wise , but a little less. Plain black is $175. Thats a start. I got my supercharged wing badges from these guys. They have a lot of stuff mate.

not 100% sure but I believe all those grill plates on Europaparts are for B8 only and don't work for 2013+.

as for online (and including Ebay), I literally have not found any other bracket (aside from ECS) specifically designed to work with the B8.5 S4 OEM grill.

If some company is selling them, they are quite hard to find.

Wish I knew how to do it but I don't know how to attach it for you. Europaparts. Go into S4 sub category. There are a few license plates. In particular there is a satin black S4 B8 2011-2016 one for $175.95. Genuine. You can also ring them eh.

You talkin bout this my friend?

https://www.europaparts.com/front-plate-filler-8k0807287a3fz.html

That's $175.95 and indicates 2010-2016 just like you say, but I think this will not fit a B8.5 at all so that should actually say 2010-2012.

And anyway it doesn't even have a bracket holder for a plate.

If you're talking about something else, I'm guessing you might be able to see a different selection of items since I am in the USA.

Maybe they only ship certain pieces to USA folk and therefore they don't even show up in my search display.

Thats the one. This then allows you to attach your plate. Whether its framed or not. Why not ring them? I can't see the exterior of the B8/B8.5 grille changing but to be sure I'd call them.

That only will fit on a B8 and is designed to actually replace the license plate area with a clean "no license plate" look.

The B8.5 grill is all one piece so there is no way to insert this piece.

It looks like this on the B8:

DSC00255

Sorry mate I can't help you much further. I'd give them a ring and speak to them. I'm sure this is doable without too much of a problem. If worst comes to worst there is the ECS one.

I've had a bit more of a poke around. There isn't a lot out there eh. That ECS one is made for it though. As long as your plates are the right size for it. Our grilles have a section right across. That lets you screw your plates on. As I said, we usually cover them with something like an Altrex. Similar to the frame or the second picture but with a perspex top cover and all sealed with a gasket. I don't blame you for balking at near $200 for a piece of plastic.

yah you guys have a different setup. honestly i wish Audi made this easier on those in the USA that require plates. it's no small number either. Every single S4 in California requires a plate up front, and other states too. Many many thousands of S4s, and yet almost zero support in the aftermarket.

Found an B8 S4 grille on a Canadian site called Kijiji. Like ebay. $40. ? Cannibalise and plastidip perhaps?

If you don't mind drilling call the dealer you got the car from and ask them where the bracket is, it should come with it if in a front plate state.

I bought my S4 from Florida and had it shipped to CA. I guess that means it's my responsibility as a CA resident.