Help Please B8.5 S4 - Lag/Delay After Downshift

Quail

B8.5 S4 Avant
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Hey guys - hoping you can clear this one up for me.

When driving the car in comfort mode (and to a lesser degree, sport mode), the car is pretty lazy to downshift when you give it more gas.

When it does downshift, if you're really trying to press on, sometimes it'll drop two gears, rev quite loudly, but not actually engage the clutch for a full second or two. This is extremely disconcerting, and doesn't feel right at all.

This doesn't seem to be problem when manually shifting with the paddles. Changes are fast and confident.

Has anyone else experienced this behavior? Car is a 2012 with 40K miles.

Hey guys - hoping you can clear this one up for me.

When driving the car in comfort mode (and to a lesser degree, sport mode), the car is pretty lazy to downshift when you give it more gas.

When it does downshift, if you're really trying to press on, sometimes it'll drop two gears, rev quite loudly, but not actually engage the clutch for a full second or two. This is extremely disconcerting, and doesn't feel right at all.

Has anyone else experienced this behavior? Car is a 2012 with 40K miles.
Mine is the same. You basically need to double tap for right foot to make it drop quicker

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Reactions: Quail
Mine is the same. You basically need to double tap for right foot to make it drop quicker

Thanks vaf888, interesting. Do you also get the delayed engagement after it's downshifted? It's feels like the clutch is slow to re-engage after rev-matching.

No, tbh though I am always in auto and if I need to shift quick I drop into sport and plant the foot.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I think what your picking up is that the gear box thinks the next gear that it's going to shift to is up the box then you confuse it with mashing the throttle.

If for instance your in an odd gear, say 3rd cruising along, 4th is already selected but not engaged on the even side of the box. If you hit the accelerator it tries to accelerate in 3rd while swapping 4th (which it thought would be your next gear) to 2nd, then the clutches disengage 3rd while engaging 2nd. It all only takes a split second but I think it's more noticeable because you get so used to all the shifts being seamless and the big jump in revs can get a bit jerky compared to the usual smoothness

i always find if i'm in auto and i need to speed things up i just down shift with the paddle to the required gear rather than planting the foot in 5th or 6th etc that way you've got more control just use it like a manual and your not waiting on the gear drop so you can get right on it, do what you need to do and it will jump back into auto from man when the screaming and noise stops :smilingimp:

i'm guessing this is the same on the 8.5 stronic

Reactions: skiptowncat and Quail
I do the same as @Chop. The only auto mode which has any decent response is S, but if it has pre-selected an odd gear and you want even or vice-versa there will be a delay.

Also note that Audi has done several TCU firmware updates over the years and it might we worth checking if there's and update available for yours.

Reactions: Chop. and Quail
Thanks guys - you've put my mind at ease a bit.

Looks like I'll need to get in to the habit of using the paddles!

Reactions: Chop.
Thanks guys - you've put my mind at ease a bit.

Looks like I'll need to get in to the habit of using the paddles!

Deffo mate like @Dippy says S is really the only selection to go, they are really capable cars especially when mapped but for as good as the s-tronic box is when left to its own devices It can sap a lot of the feeling Away from how well these cars can actually drive

Have a good play round with it in man and S Take control, throw eco and auto drive select in the bin and you'll have a different car

If it helps, I have the exact same thing on mine. S4, 2012 plate B8.5 s-tronic. Always done it, and I just assumed it was something to do with the pre-selection of gears in the box.

Doesn't seem to be as noticeable in S mode as it's already in a lower gear and not at all with the paddles - but when using the paddles, if I'm expecting to nail it (overtake for example) I've usually already dropped a cog or 2 in anticipation. Usually when you pootle along in Auto or Comfort and need to go for an overtake, you're dropping a couple of gears quite quickly.

Deffo mate like @Dippy says S is really the only selection to go, they are really capable cars especially when mapped but for as good as the s-tronic box is when left to its own devices It can sap a lot of the feeling Away from how well these cars can actually drive

Have a good play round with it in man and S Take control, throw eco and auto drive select in the bin and you'll have a different car

Yep, the car is thoroughly enjoyable with the paddles. Went for a country-road blast with my cousin in his C63, and the car was exceptional.

If it helps, I have the exact same thing on mine. S4, 2012 plate B8.5 s-tronic. Always done it, and I just assumed it was something to do with the pre-selection of gears in the box.

Doesn't seem to be as noticeable in S mode as it's already in a lower gear and not at all with the paddles - but when using the paddles, if I'm expecting to nail it (overtake for example) I've usually already dropped a cog or 2 in anticipation. Usually when you pootle along in Auto or Comfort and need to go for an overtake, you're dropping a couple of gears quite quickly.

Thanks for your insight mate - again, good to know I'm not alone. I did ask a good friend about it (Audi master-tech), and he said it's pretty normal behavior. An engine and box remap next year is on the cards.

Reactions: Chop.