Help Please B8.5 Suddenly Running Deeper / Louder?

777GE90

Reaction score
Having lots of small problems crop up with my B8.5 almost every other weak now, having fixed the sticking brake caliper 2 weeks ago, I thought that was the last one, but now I have another problem.

Was driving today, cold start after 1 week of being parked. Let the car warm up for about 5 mins, then drove a few miles before joining the motorway for a shortish 10 mile trip, upon leaving the motorway I noticed the car sounded a lot louder than normal, when the car is DPF regening it has a louder noise, this noise is almost like that but even more louder and I know it's definitely not DPF regening as normally the idle RPM's increase when that happens.

So not sure what's going on, but it is a very noticable increase in running noise.

My first thoughts are something to do with the exhaust system? Any known common problems?

Hmm. I'm more familiar with the 3.0 TDIs, but your first thought of it being the exhaust is a more probable cause. Britain's lovely cold mornings might be a blessing for checking leaks in the exhaust on a cold start.

Could be something as simple as an exhaust sleeve coming loose? Happened on my old Polo and you could hear the car a mile away!

Reactions: 777GE90 and spartacus68
Nice, well I actually took a picture of the underside of the car a few months ago, when I was getting the shocks replaced. Looks like those brackets are black on mine? The image is too dark for me to spot anything useful though.

Attachments

• 20201205_151251.jpg
    20201205_151251.jpg
    364 KB · Views: 110
I'd say your brackets are toast! Get the trolley jack out and an axle stand for safety - they will probably crumble if you touch them.

Reactions: Nitro_CR and 777GE90
I'd say your brackets are toast! Get the trolley jack out and an axle stand for safety - they will probably crumble if you touch them.

Thanks this actually seems like a very good lead, I am guessing the immediate cold to hot must of finally allowed them to fail.

Will try to check them over the weekend.

I had a look on CarProg2 but they didn't seem to have these brackets listed anywhere in the exhaust system? Any ideas of part number or how I can find brackets that will fit?

Did your exhaust have any noise or did you replace before they gave issues?

I had a look on CarProg2 but they didn't seem to have these brackets listed anywhere in the exhaust system? Any ideas of part number or how I can find brackets that will fit?

Did your exhaust have any noise or did you replace before they gave issues?

I didn't think an Audi exhaust would rust so didn't even consider it. I had a B5 V6 Quattro Avant on 175k on the original exhaust, but this central clamp bracket on B8 is a weak spot, a yes noticed a louder noise, but not like full blown sound. The actual wrap sheath that joins the pipes is stainless, but the clamps are plain old steel. Search for Mikalor clamps. 316 is marine grade stainless steel and what I opted for. If you get an old one off, then measure circumference. In the meantime stick a jubilee clip on it temporarily, as that will literally be the only thing holding it together.

Reactions: 777GE90
Problem found lol, exactly as you suspected lol. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• 20210220_165634.jpg
    20210220_165634.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 108
Reactions: Nitro_CR, spartacus 68 and pelhamsdetailing