B8 B8 RS4 gearbox issue

youdame86

Reaction score
So I got a warning msg today, saying “gearbox malfunction”.

The car continued to run fine, however, at idle, I noticed the idling RPM to be slightly higher, at 1,000 instead of the usual 800 rpm. It felt like the clutch was not engaging fully.

This was after I swapped out a completely new DL501 mechatronic unit in December 2019. The changes I made in between, that might’ve affected the gearbox, is the 034 aluminum transmission mount insert and the transmission mount rubber. I installed them a month ago and the car was running fine until yesterday.

Anybody had similar experiences like this? I spent like 3 months out of action last year just sorting, ordering the DL501 and I really don’t want to go back to that ugly place again. It shouldn’t break down so quickly. I’m a bit lost as to how to fix this.

Any help would be appreciated

Best Regards,
Andrew Y.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need more details of the gearbox malfunction message. Have you scanned the car for fault codes?

You need more details of the gearbox malfunction message. Have you scanned the car for fault codes?

Thanks, sorted it out in the end.

Turns out it was a few defective solenoid valves in the DL501 that caused the issue. After a rebuild kit replacing the solenoid valves everything went fine.

Excuse my desperate tone in previous post as I had so many breakdowns/problems before due to a previously faulty mechatronic unit. I was glad this was just a fast fix; pricey at HKD4,500 though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk