B8 S4 !

Bootneck22

Reaction score
Hey lads ! Just got my hands on a 09 S4 with sports diff, drive select and manual ! In love is an understatement. The car is all stock at the moment but that will change as my a4 was stage 2 ! Only gripe is the brakes arnt anything spacial, iv only had the car 2 days and I think my first mod will be a big brake kit ! What have you lads got on your ? Cheers Dean !

After a long thought Awe exhaust is top of my list for first mod coming from s5 forum by the way.

Enjoy the car and the mod bugs !!

Reactions: Bootneck22
I’ve got RS5 calipers and discs on mine, front only (mind you the rear calipers on the RS5 are the same as the S4 anyway AFAIK, only difference is the discs).

I’ve had them on since I got the car though, so I can’t comment on the difference vs stock.

After a long thought Awe exhaust is top of my list for first mod coming from s5 forum by the way.

Enjoy the car and the mod bugs !!
Yeah I really want an exhaust but I feel the breaks would let me enjoy the car more ! But the awe track is on my list haha !

If you are not impressed with the B8 S4's stock brakes then you'd have **** yourself driving a stock B5 S4!

Yeah I really want an exhaust but I feel the breaks would let me enjoy the car more ! But the awe track is on my list haha !

I was in the exact same situation as you back in June whether to choose between track and touring some say the drone on the track is unbearable which lead to going down the touring route and I have started a thread about this have a look at the below link.

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/drone-control.376179/

If you are not impressed with the B8 S4's stock brakes then you'd have **** yourself driving a stock B5 S4!
Haha was it that bad ? My a4 was 250 brake but oblivious the 1.8t was alot lighter than the v6 and I thought the stock breaks where perfect!

I bought a B5 VW Passat 4Motion new in 2000 and always thought that its 288mm front discs/callipers did not inspire much confidence especially coming from a 1991 VX Cav GSI 4X4! Then bought my wife a new Polo in 2015, it same with these same 288mm front discs/callipers, and they work okay with its light weight!

Only gripe is the brakes arnt anything spacial, iv only had the car 2 days and I think my first mod will be a big brake kit !
That may be because you've come from a car that had over-servo'd stoppers. What did you drive before the S4?

I came from a MK5 R32 and the brakes on that were horrifically over-servo'd, I never liked them. Coming to the S4, initially I also thought they brakes weren't up to much but I've now come to realise they offer much better modulation, are much better judged for servo assistance and are actually very good.
There are of course a load of options for you should you not feel the same as I do.

Paul

I was in the exact same situation as you back in June whether to choose between track and touring some say the drone on the track is unbearable which lead to going down the touring route and I have started a thread about this have a look

My a4 was de-cated with only one muffler and was only loud if I floored it, so I don't think I'd be bothered by some drone, but I had a look through and it's got some good points thanks bud ! Not sure if I will just get a custom one made tho!

If you want to go custom made have a look at Meemo thread in the A5 S5 B8 section which hopefully will give you some idea.

Reactions: Meemo and Bootneck22
That may be because you've come from a car that had over-servo'd stoppers. What did you drive before the S4?

I came from a MK5 R32 and the brakes on that were horrifically over-servo'd, I never liked them. Coming to the S4, initially I also thought they brakes weren't up to much but I've now come to realise they offer much better modulation, are much better judged for servo assistance and are actually very good.
There are of course a load of options for you should you not feel the same as I do.

Paul

I had a a4 beforehand Paul! Really like the breaks on that even when it was running 250bhp never felt like they where lacking, but a lighter car I suppose!

Also are lights auto levelling? Because i think mine are really high. In my a4 I had a wheel I could scroll to change the height but the s4 has none! I also seem to get flashed by about every 5th car so they can't all be wrong .... :blink:

Also are lights auto levelling? Because i think mine are really high. In my a4 I had a wheel I could scroll to change the height but the s4 has none! I also seem to get flashed by about every 5th car so they can't all be wrong .... :blink:
i hit that same wall! but mine was too low and now i put them too high and get flashed allot :)
You need VCDS to adjust the xenon aim which i got very cheaply on ebay.
you put it in learning mode then you use a cross head to adjust the aim on the head light manually, you will see the 2 white screw holes on each headlight when the bonnet it up. Once adjusted, hit save on the vcds and it's done. Resist adjusting manually without VCDS, i tried this and it caused my lights to spasm constantly whilst still being stuck at the floor untill i got it connected up and done properly.

If you are near Southampton/Winchester/Basingstoke happy to help. otherwise there are plenty on here who would prob offer the same, i think some charge a little fee to use theirs.
I used this guide, easy to follow:
https://www.a5oc.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=111657&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1455118430

Some bits you can do to the asthetics in the thread below, might spark some ideas:
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/mandas-bagged-a4.264197/

i hit that same wall! but mine was too low and now i put them too high and get flashed allot :)
You need VCDS to adjust the xenon aim which i got very cheaply on ebay.
you put it in learning mode then you use a cross head to adjust the aim on the head light manually, you will see the 2 white screw holes on each headlight when the bonnet it up. Once adjusted, hit save on the vcds and it's done. Resist adjusting manually without VCDS, i tried this and it caused my lights to spasm constantly whilst still being stuck at the floor untill i got it connected up and done properly.

If you are near Southampton/Winchester/Basingstoke happy to help. otherwise there are plenty on here who would prob offer the same, i think some charge a little fee to use theirs.
I used this guide, easy to follow:
https://www.a5oc.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=111657&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1455118430

Some bits you can do to the asthetics in the thread below, might spark some ideas:
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/mandas-bagged-a4.264197/

Hey buddy thanks for the info ! I hit quite a bad pothole about a week ago, cracked my alloy but fixed the headlights so now they sit just about right Good thing I hated the stock alloys anyway

lucky you wanted to change them anyway! what you going to change them for?

I ended up swapping over to the alloys off my a4 for the time being ! Same as the originals on your old a4. Going to get them resprayed in gunmetal Gray. Really want a set of vossens but not interested in 19inch alloys to be honest want to stick to 18s!

Reactions: Meemo
8 pot RS4 front brakes on mine with ds2500 pads all round and stoptech discs on the rear. Note that the RS4 rear calipers are the same as the S4 but the RS5 ones are different and don't fit.

The S4 suffers badly from overheating brakes if driven hard so brake cooling mods are a good idea. I found this out the hard way at a track day where I boiled the brake fluid and ended up using a bush in the track car park to come to a stop. Thankfully I was only doing a couple of mph at the time but still manged to destroy the supercharger cooler and dent both the front bumper and a wing.