B9 A4/S4 - Little Surprises

Bristle Hound

Staff member
Reaction score
There are similar threads on both the B8 A4/S4 & 8V A3/S3 sections which have been quite interesting

So come on people's, what little surprises have you found on your B9 A4/S4?

Reactions: cuke2u
Not sure if this is a new thing or not, but I've left my key in the boot a few times (I've just put it down when putting stuff in) and if you close the boot it pops back open after a second so you know you've left your key in there.

Reactions: Smileysam, sbour, BTCart and 3 others
A similar thing happens when you leave your phone on charge, the Audi lady tells you that your phone is still charging when you open the door.

Reactions: sbour and cppp
A similar thing happens when you leave your phone on charge, the Audi lady tells you that your phone is still charging when you open the door.
I've never noticed this before, I'll need to give it a go tomorrow morning

If you press the voice button, you get the built in voice system, but if you press and hold, it jumps to the voice service on a paired phone (I.e.) Siri

Reactions: duckduck, sbour and iambu
If you press the voice button, you get the built in voice system, but if you press and hold, it jumps to the voice service on a paired phone (I.e.) Siri

Must try that - did think that getting voice control on Carplay seems faffy and requires a lot of button pressing on the MMI to make a call!

Reactions: maui

Really want this, but mine doesn't. Is it only for those with the Tech Pack?

Wireless charging is either included with the tech pack, or as an option "phone box with wireless charging"

Reactions: cppp

Mine does this also (non T-Pack) if the phone is being charged by the USB port in the armrest.

A little surprise for me was finding out the interior Spot lights/Reading lights are touch sensitive. I found this out after touching one when it was already on (used the button) then couldn't switch it off again with the button.

After returning to your car and unlocking it (when dark), if you only open the drivers door then only the drivers reading light comes on. If you only open the passenger door, then only the passenger reading light comes on. If both doors are opened, then both lights come on

Reactions: VipinLJ
Mine does this also (non T-Pack) if the phone is being charged by the USB port in the armrest..

Mine definitely doesn't do this. I've lost count the times I've had to do the walk of shame back to the car.

Am I missing something from the settings. I'm non t-pack

Thanks

Mine definitely doesn't do this. I've lost count the times I've had to do the walk of shame back to the car.

Thanks

Nothing I'm aware of, to be honest I don't know if it's Bluetooth related or CarPlay related on mine but I definitely get the warning, also get a message on the MMI display if the phone battery drops below 20% telling me to charge it.

Thanks

I think there is an option on the MMI to disable/enable speech thingy, not sure where, but I've seen it.

Tried this today, works like a charm. Thanks!

Obscure one for those with smart watches. Installed the Audi MMI app on my phone and noticed later that a new Audi watch face had appeared on the paired Android smart watch.

Reactions: scotty76, mjcourtney and maui
Big fan behind the grill was still spinning fast even after the engine was switched off, car locked. maybe to cool down the engines o_O

Big fan behind the grill was still spinning fast even after the engine was switched off, car locked. maybe to cool down the engines o_O

That'll be the DPF- needs a good run out!

Not necessarily as the climate and on turbo cars can cause this, our 1.0 ecoboost fiesta does the same.

From my research I knew that a retractable vertical net/screen thing behind the rear seats and a rear armrest are available on the Avant, but I couldn't find either listed on the standard spec. I had therefore assumed they were part a package. However, day 2 of ownership and I find both included in my s line Avant. Happy days!

Reactions: mjcourtney and scotty76
I'll have a look, or can anyone else point me in the right direction?

Found this in the settings today..

.. set it to a spoken reminder then try to adjust the signal volume, the default reminder is that you left your phone in the car.

From my research I knew that a retractable vertical net/screen thing behind the rear seats and a rear armrest are available on the Avant, but I couldn't find either listed on the standard spec. I had therefore assumed they were part a package. However, day 2 of ownership and I find both included in my s line Avant. Happy days!
I had been wondering about that too and couldn't see it mentioned. Is that part of the storage Pack or is it standard on the avant I wonder?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

My `little surprise` is that the little red `lights` at the base of all 4 door cards do not illuminate. Perhaps they're just reflectors. Does anyone know for sure? (I have an SE)
Many thanks.

My `little surprise` is that the little red `lights` at the base of all 4 door cards do not illuminate. Perhaps they're just reflectors. Does anyone know for sure? (I have an SE)
Many thanks.

Just reflectors unfortunately. Would prefer if they were actually lights!!

Not just a little surprise for me then...more a large disappointment.
I've just traded in a Mazda that cost HALF of what I've just paid for the Audi and the `lights` on the Mazda were REAL lights.
Thanks for the info, `NULL`.

Found that when in cruise control, when you reduce the speed without deselecting cruise the brakes are applied. 70 to 50 is quite pronounced. Cruise control on the A3 only 'free wheeled" to the lower speed. Also, I saw no mention of it, but the cruise stalk now also has a limiter, so you have throttle control upto the speed set but not over until overridden by pressing hard on the accelerator.

Mine also has the rear net screen and armrest.

I have an S-Line Avant

Found this in the settings today..

View attachment 101906

.. set it to a spoken reminder then try to adjust the signal volume, the default reminder is that you left your phone in the car.

OK so this is only for cars with Audi phone box according to my owners manual. Explains why I never had the reminder!

Nope, I don't have phone box (no tech pack) And nagging Nellie has already told me a couple of times that my phone is in the car (it was connected by USB)

Must be an addition to MY17 then. My MY16 manual says that reminder signal is only when Audi Phone box is fitted. Reminder signal is listed in the manual index.

Found that when in cruise control, when you reduce the speed without deselecting cruise the brakes are applied. 70 to 50 is quite pronounced. Cruise control on the A3 only 'free wheeled" to the lower speed. Also, I saw no mention of it, but the cruise stalk now also has a limiter, so you have throttle control upto the speed set but not over until overridden by pressing hard on the accelerator.

Mine also has the rear net screen and armrest.

I have an S-Line Avant
Yeah the A3 s-tronic cruise control only tried engine braking to reduce speed. The manual version did apply the brakes tho. I was disappointed when I moved from the manual to the s-tronic to see this feature disappear. Delighted to see it's back on the A4 S-tronic tho!

Speed limiter is also a nice addition :)

along the lines of cruise control, has anyone got the camera based traffic sign recognition? Curious to know if that adjusts the cruise control speed as you pass a speed sign? I get mixed info from the web

I had been wondering about that too and couldn't see it mentioned. Is that part of the storage Pack or is it standard on the avant I wonder?

The only options I have are folding mirrors and privacy glass. It must be standard spec for the s line, although mine is a MY17 model, so it may be only for that MY onwards. Before I collected mine, I read so many reviews and watched so many YouTube videos I was confused as to what was and wasn't standard spec. Another example: the s line has the Audi Sound System as standard, but there is no sub-woofer in the boot like on the A3. Did I imagine it or did I see somewhere that there should be one?

Reactions: mjcourtney and maui
I thought I saw an S-Line in the showroom with subwoofer, but it was not MY17 - it is under the parcel shelf- not easy to spot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought I saw an S-Line in the showroom with subwoofer, but it was not MY17 - it is under the parcel shelf- not easy to spot

Mine's an Avant so it would not be possible to fit it to the parcel shelf. You probably know that on the Avant, the parcel shelf retracts when the boot opens.

Mine's an Avant so it would not be possible to fit it to the parcel shelf. You probably know that on the Avant, the parcel shelf retracts when the boot opens.

The Avant has a Sub BassBox in the spare wheel well and includes Sub control in the MMI, the Saloon has a Bass Lodspeaker mounted to the parcel shelf and no Sub control,on the *** systems

Yes sorry - forget that with the avant - maybe that's the catch?

The avant s-line (with Audi sound system) I borrowed had no sub control in the settings - but it definitely had good bass to it. It really is hard to tell what's standard and I'm sure they change equipment levels quite often!