B9 A4/S4 - Little Surprises

Have an S4 Avant B9, one thing I've noticed is that it takes maybe 1 to 1.5 seconds of engine turn-over before the engine starts. My last car (BMW 535d diesel) with a push start button started pretty much instantly.

It doesn't really bother me but is it normal?

Might not be platform related but Spotify on CarPlay is being funny.

So, when I select Library>Songs>Shuffle on CarPlay, it says I only have 200 songs and continues to obviously repeat loads of them. When I go into the phone and select this, the 9,000 odd tracks I 'do' have appear...can't seem to reset it.

Tried hard restart, disconnect/connect etc. Time to delete and reinstall app?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have an S4 Avant B9, one thing I've noticed is that it takes maybe 1 to 1.5 seconds of engine turn-over before the engine starts. My last car (BMW 535d diesel) with a push start button started pretty much instantly.

It doesn't really bother me but is it normal?

Mine too. Just clearing her throat

Reactions: Jcbmally, duckduck, TripleD and 1 other person
Noticed this week when locking the car with the windows open and holding the lock button the windows go up, no surprise there, but the indicators flash once when everything is shut! That's a nice visual queue!

Reactions: Jcbmally, duckduck and Thundercliffe81
Is anyone else finding that the auto start/stop seems to turn the engine off a bit prematurely when coming to a stop, thus causing a slightly sudden stop rather than a really smooth stop? Not a big deal for me but just want to check that it's normal!

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
Mine parks it's self so how is that assist?

Mine parks it's self so how is that assist?

Smoke and mirrors... Car manufacturers make you control some aspect (such as gearbox, brake pedal) so you are technically controlling the vehicle and it's assisting you. Sure it could do all those things for you, but as it's already pointed out, can you imagine all the claims against car makers when the car did go wrong and it was fully automated?

This very thing is what is going to be one of the big inhibitors of driverless vehicles for some time.

Reactions: S.line
Let's invent an alloy with kerb sensors!

Reactions: pierreluigi88, Brasso and Thundercliffe81
Right after we get rid of this blame culture and the majority take responsibility for their own actions! even if that is software they wrote and put into cars

Reactions: duckduck and Kestrel
Got a Spotify/CarPlay issue but don't think it's the A4 that's the problem if anyone else is experiencing this.

If Spotify is already running on my phone and I connect it up and go into CarPlay, I can go into albums and playlists but when I pick a track or shuffle play, the track doesn't play. I have to kill Spotify, disconnect and reconnect, then it works ok.

It's not an A4 issue though as it happens in our Golf too.

CarPlay I really do have a love/hate relationship with. I have only recently started using it more because of the new mobile legislation, but also find it terribly buggy. Audible will randomly quit playing, TuneIn I have to choose the station several times before it plays, or it just won't launch at all. I am very surprised as I have never seen such a polished **** from Apple like this before. Not even sure who you can complain to - is it the app developer or Apple?

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and Keef
I reckon it's the apps themselves, I gave up with Apple's own Podcasts app as it kept quitting playback randomly, sometimes 4 or 5 times per 'cast. I've swapped to Overcast which is carplay compatible and that's been 100% flawless.

I've heard that turning off "hey, siri" can help, didn't help for me with Podcasts tho.....

Reactions: maui
Is anyone else finding that the auto start/stop seems to turn the engine off a bit prematurely when coming to a stop, thus causing a slightly sudden stop rather than a really smooth stop? Not a big deal for me but just want to check that it's normal!

Normal yes but seems a bit jerky as you say.

Reactions: DKUK and Brasso
This may have been covered, but I haven't got time to trawl through 10 pages. I've discovered that the Weather info on MMI is amazing. It gives you all sorts of information, including the weather forecast at your current position and destination, and the percentage chance of rain. I would never have discovered it if I hadn't been a passenger rather than the driver, and was fiddling through the MMI.

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and cuke2u
Just on the inside of the Drivers door, to the left of the list of tyre pressures there is a little button. It is oblong in shape, has a graphic of a car above the word `OFF`. No idea what it is. Pushed it a few times but nothing seems to happen. Can anyone throw any light?
Many thanks.

Think it's something to do with deactivating the interior sensors for the alarm if it's what I'm thinking of, might be wrong though!

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and Daggerit
Just on the inside of the Drivers door, to the left of the list of tyre pressures there is a little button. It is oblong in shape, has a graphic of a car above the word `OFF`. No idea what it is. Pushed it a few times but nothing seems to happen. Can anyone throw any light?
Many thanks.

Without seeing it I assume it'll be to either turn off the internal sensors or the tilt sensor. So you can leave pets/kids in the car with it locked and not set off the alarm and so that it can be transported while locked and also not set off the alarm.

I had separate buttons in my B8.5, I don't know if it's been combined for the B9?

Reactions: Keef
Think it's something to do with deactivating the interior sensors for the alarm if it's what I'm thinking of, might be wrong though!

You got there first, my answer was clearly too long-winded! Haha

Reactions: Keef
So @Daggerit when you ordering an S4!?

I'm waiting on a few things to fall into place to make sure I can afford it, should know within the next few weeks. So long as that all goes according to plan I'll order near the end of May for a Sept delivery.

Reactions: duckduck and Keef
Many thanks.
Thank you, Chaps.
Trouble is, I've pushed it a few times so I don't know whether the alarm is now `on` or `off`.
Perhaps it'll somehow default to `on`. Does seem rather random though.

Thank you, Chaps.
Trouble is, I've pushed it a few times so I don't know whether the alarm is now `on` or `off`.
Perhaps it'll somehow default to `on`. Does seem rather random though.

Pretty sure you have to do it every time so the next time you unlock and lock it'll all be activated again.

Mine had a little red LED on it but sounds like it's not there anymore. That said, I can't remember if you had to hold it down or not...

One way to find out is to lock yourself in the car and then start waving your arms about. If it's on, the sensors will pick up your movements and trigger the alarm.

Reactions: duckduck
Correct, press it once the led is illuminated and when the car is locked the interior monitor and the tow-away protection are then disabled. Once you unlock the car it is reset. Page 45 of my manual...

Correct, press it once the led is illuminated and when the car is locked the interior monitor and the tow-away protection are then disabled. Once you unlock the car it is reset. Page 45 of my manual...
Ah, thanks for that.
I've just checked my car and the LED doesn't work...so maybe the system doesn't work. I'll get it looked at. Thanks again.

Reactions: cuke2u and Daggerit
If it helps I'll have play with mine..
Edit: just been out to the car and indeed the red led illuminates when I pressed the button once..

Last edited:
If it helps I'll have play with mine..
Edit: just been out to the car and indeed the red led illuminates when I pressed the button once..
Thanks for checking.

If you are using the speed limiter functionality (rather than cruise control) the car adjusts the rate of acceleration so that you don't exceed the limit. e.g. with limit set at 80, drive select in Dynamic and foot fairly much to the floor in my S4, it will give full beans up to 60ish and then gently curtail the acceleration such that you arrive at the speed limit without there being a big lift off, and whoever is on your tail suddenly piling into the back of the car... It was slightly unnerving at first, but actually now I quite like it.

Reactions: DJBuk
Yeah it is nice how they do put a curve on things like that! My favourite is how the adaptive cruise will ease down to an approaching speed limit change rather than put the anchors on as you arrive at it! Same for junctions / roundabouts etc. Not really used the limited much as I spend most of the time letting adaptive cruise drive

Reactions: duckduck
Pull down the rear armrest and reach up inside the hole and there's another lever to lower the centre section of the seat back for through-loading.

Reactions: Jcbmally
You can go into Settings > Connection Manager > option button > Online settings to see how much data has been used by each connection - typically the eSIM or an inserted SIM card. For me, this is a paltry 83MB in 2000 miles of driving.

Interestingly, it also shows a "Last reset date" - which for me was 31/1/17 - the day before the car went to status 30 (left factory) on the order tracker, which all makes sense.

Reactions: duckduck and Keef
You can go into Settings > Connection Manager > option button > Online settings to see how much data has been used by each connection - typically the eSIM or an inserted SIM card. For me, this is a paltry 83MB in 2000 miles of driving.

Interestingly, it also shows a "Last reset date" - which for me was 31/1/17 - the day before the car went to status 30 (left factory) on the order tracker, which all makes sense.

On checking the usage I have used 80MB in two days, what am I doing wrong as I am on PAYG?

Push the cruise control stalk to inc/dec the set speed. Push it more fiercely and it goes up/down in 5mph increments instead of 1mph.

*embarrassed face for only just realising this*

Reactions: PhxViper
On mine it increases to the next 5mph increment, so if I'm going 64, a push up will take me to 65 only.

There are two degrees of push. A light push will increase or decrease speed in 1 mph steps and a firm push will do it in 5 mph steps.

Mine seems to be different then, here's the scenarios

61mph firm push - 65mph
63mph firm push - 65mph
65mph firm push - 70mph
7-mph firm push - 75mph

so mine only takes it up to the next 5mph increment, not increase the speed by 5mph

so 63mph will not take me to 68mph on a firm push

Mine seems to be different then, here's the scenarios

61mph firm push - 65mph
63mph firm push - 65mph
65mph firm push - 70mph
7-mph firm push - 75mph

so mine only takes it up to the next 5mph increment, not increase the speed by 5mph

so 63mph will not take me to 68mph on a firm push

That's what mine did in my B8.5.

If it's at a -0 or -5 speed then it goes up in 5mph increments, if it's anything in between it just jumps up to the nearest 5mph increment.

Hope that makes sense!

Reactions: Jcbmally