B9 A4/S4 Reviews

Bristle Hound

Staff member
Reaction score
First one I've seen on the new B9 A4 saloon in this weeks (W/c 290715) AutoExpress
Got a 5 star review too
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/audi/a4

001_dsc3681.jpg

Reactions: Keef and scotty76
B9 S4 saloon

B9 A4 S-line saloon -

2016 BMW 3 series v 2016 Audi B9 A4 -

Reactions: cuke2u
Odd, worked for me last night without need a subscription...

those quad exhausts though! yes please :D

I put this in the 'S4 ordered' thread but thought that it would make sense to stick it in here too...

Turn the volume up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tankman, maui, Jcbmally and 1 other person
Nice review here on the S4 Avant from this guy that knows his Audi's/performance cars...

Was trying to explain how good the is sports diff is on this car to many on this list (often falling of deaf ears) - just can't imagine why anyone would spend £40k+ without the engaging drive. Tried cars with and without the diff/adaptive suspension set up and the dynamic steering... its a totally different car fitted with these driving focussed extras.

Reactions: Riko0073
Was trying to explain how good the is sports diff is on this car to many on this list (often falling of deaf ears) - just can't imagine why anyone would spend £40k+ without the engaging drive. Tried cars with and without the diff/adaptive suspension set up and the dynamic steering... its a totally different car fitted with these driving focussed extras.
Glad I've spec'd both the diff and adaptive suspension on mine!

Glad I've spec'd both the diff and adaptive suspension on mine!

Did you test a car with dynamic steering? Its really very good, especially when pushing the car. Found it gave far better feedback than standard.

Did you test a car with dynamic steering? Its really very good, especially when pushing the car. Found it gave far better feedback than standard.
TBH no I didn't, thought the standard steering was good and I'd already hit my budget and thought the diff and suspension probably higher on my priority list.

Reactions: TameAutumn
I didn’t spec the steering on mine and I have absolutely no complaints, the car takes everything I can throw at it, and more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Riko0073
Shmee has done a review of the both the Abt RS4-R Avant and the Abt RS5-R. Unfortunately he only looks at the RS4-R on the forecourt and only takes the RS5-R for a drive, but thought it worth posting nonetheless as they are similar cars.

The Abt RS5-R takes the latest generation Audi RS5 and adds enhancements. The power from the 2.9l TT V6 raised from 450hp to 530hp and torque up from 600Nm to 690Nm.

New Audi S4 – One month and 1000km

Background:

I’m a 66 year old former military (Navy) pilot and now semi-retired aerospace research scientist living in Canberra, Australia. Formative years both driving and in aviation were spent in the UK, not committing to emigrate until 1979, I have always enjoyed performance motoring a – first car was a beautiful MGB MkII – performance then = 70kW = a possible 100mph on a good day and a long flat road!

Now in the land of Oz I continue to enthuse about matters motoring though I despair

at the continued erosion of driving behaviours and standards. The latest epidemic of mobile phone users evidenced by wandering all over lanes combined with the apparent need to swing out across the centre of the road prior to turning left just astounds me. Be compliant and caring about your )road) sharing or stay at home!

Through the years in Canberra we have been through the usual phases of no kids = 2 seat/2 door motoring and then family = sensible family haulers comprising Commodores various, a mental XR6 Turbo (significantly modified by Nizpro in Melbourne) to the more recent times with the family shrinking back to just the two of us which gave rise to the last fifteen years of VAGdom .

There’s no clear reason why I was never a great fan of the Benz family: earlier marques tended towards a tank-like design and the recent Benz renaissance has taken them down a completely different and more (too?) youthful path (red seat belts ….really?). BMW have never similarly been ‘rated’ beyond their performance benchmark machines of M5 and M3; I have always viewed BMW lovers as either active or latent hairdressers. So the ‘let’s go German’ automotive desires led us down the VAG path – first VW and then Audi…… a sensible Golf 2.0 TDI (Oettinger tuned), a Golf GTi, an APR stage 3 modified GTi, an APR Stage 1 2.0 TFSI R Line Tiguan (my wife’s beloved family truck) and a brief foray with a Wolfsburg edition R Wagon (ugh!) thence to Audi. Starting in 2013 I owned a SQ5 Tdi (DTUK box modified) followed by an RSQ3 Performance (APR Stage 1) and most recently a lovely Audi S4 with all the ‘stuff’.

So to the S4:

With retirement in-hand it was perhaps time to look for something more age-appropriate than the RSQ3 Performance. Having been in hot hatches and more recently small to medium German SUVs I had forgotten how wonderfully competent European sports sedans can be…the S4 has not disappointed. So after some exploratory trips to the Canberra dealership, a trade-in was discussed and provided by the professional folk at the Canberra Audi Centre – the deal offered was sensational and left little reason to ponder any longer.

It is a Navara Blue S4 with all the fruit; the only exceptions being the sports diff (no real need) and sports seats (****** uncomfortable and no adjustable headrest). The black external highlights, good dark tint, internal carbon inlays and delightful 19” Audi Sport wheels completed the ‘look’ I was after. I have now completed one month of ownership comprising one thousand kilometres, so still not run-in. However, it’s enough time to share an appraisal.

It’s a deceptively long car – longer than the SQ5 and is much, much lower than our past diet of hatches and SUVs. Together with some weight loss and vastly improved weight distribution and almost state of the art suspension components and design has made for, IMHO, terrific handling. It really does sit on the road in an immensely stable manner. Does it aesthetically appear like a slippery rocket – not really. Is it a slippery rocket? – absolutely.

I did make a couple of immediate changes – the Hankooks came off and were replaced by Micheline PS4S – I still wonder if I was being a bit precious over those tyres as the Hankooks rarely have a poor review. I also had the paintwork ceramic coated with the Williams preparation - I am a bit disappointed this time round having had a darn good experience with the RSQ3. Don’t know why but this one seems very easy to leave swirl scratches on and I’m not sure if it is due to the supplier, the materials used this time……… anyway I will leave it as is as the supplier has been completely unhelpful thus far and maybe I’ll get a (more expensive) Opticoat treatment in 5 years time - if it needs it. The final mod is hanging which is the DTUK attitude enhancement device – I have always had good, safe results with these and it is still on the list of things to be considered.

Even as an experienced pilot I have found the virtual cockpit and amazing array of more than 30 safety systems quite time consuming to learn and understand. However, it is a great set up and combined with other good tech e.g. the matrix lighting system, head up display (note to self – need to get some non-polarised sunnies), active lane & traffic assist, Apple CarPlay, the MMI with dedicated data SIM, B&O sound, internal lighting smarts = a very smart, comfortable and capable car. It is good to see these technical developments, albeit aimed at achieving driverless cars decades in the future, being made available to drivers now. It is important, however, to ensure you have the best possible understanding of how and why they operate before employing them in anger; you can have some age advancing moments if heading out unprepared!

The engine is a gem, once off idle, where its broad v design can be a bit lumpy at below 700RPM, it is a veritable unstressed turbine – revving quite freely as a new engine, one feels there is considerable potential for further development. There is certainly lots of heat under that bonnet in an Australian summer, so I am conscious of taking opportunities to let the natural breeze drift through the components after a punt. I thought that I may miss the tough 7 speed DSG from the RSQ3 – truth is I do not miss it for a moment and enjoy the peace of mind that the torque will always be competently handled by the ZF 8 speed. There are plenty of opinions around regarding the ZF box in this Audi – many less than exemplary. To me it is a smart, competent box and once aware of its foibles it is a gem to drive with – e.g. instead of changing down before entering a roundabout (as one would with a manual box), simply knock it into Sport and it will easily cater for all upcoming eventualities = learn, think, adapt and anticipate…… don’t blame the design after all, you chose it!

So there you have it – it’s a delightful limousine one minute and slippery sports car the next and feels at least as quick as the RSQ3 Performance so I believe the published figures are quite conservative – or as I prefer to say – most adequate! Happy motoring forum folk.

Dingah
IMG 2285
IMG 2198

Reactions: V6_Man, mister.c., Nirmal Ramjee and 5 others
Excellent review Graham and thanks for taking the time for putting it together.
Third world issues huh? Yes driving standards seem to have slipped below what they should be where ever you live, but when you complain it is your fault. Some have completely forgotten what those yellow things are for front and rear of a car these days...

Hello All

I'm writing from the UK and I'm in the process of changing my VW Golf MK7 to an Audi A4 B9 Chassis (2L TFSI Saloon). I was wondering if this would be a good second car to have?

Cheers

Depending on which engine it has it is likely to be a far superior car to a VW Golf7.
I recall a brief test drive in a Wolfsburg Mk7 R waggon when I was considering moving to that from an Audi SQ5 and, having already paid a deposit on the VW I thought I was committed. After 20 mins I came back early from the run and asked the dealer for the return of my deposit - the difference was night and day. We have had several Golfs and GTis over the years but back to back the it was daylight in quality, finish, HMI, performance......between the S4 B9/SQ5 and any Golf. Now having had the V6 S4 B9 'attended to' by APR it has become a 3.5 second 0-60 car but remains svelte, smooth and I rate it even higher.
My advice is the the Audi B9 with the right engine will be a great first car.
Good luck and enjoy the hunt.

Dingah

Depending on which engine it has it is likely to be a far superior car to a VW Golf7.
I recall a brief test drive in a Wolfsburg Mk7 R waggon when I was considering moving to that from an Audi SQ5 and, having already paid a deposit on the VW I thought I was committed. After 20 mins I came back early from the run and asked the dealer for the return of my deposit - the difference was night and day. We have had several Golfs and GTis over the years but back to back the it was daylight in quality, finish, HMI, performance......between the S4 B9/SQ5 and any Golf. Now having had the V6 S4 B9 'attended to' by APR it has become a 3.5 second 0-60 car but remains svelte, smooth and I rate it even higher.
My advice is the the Audi B9 with the right engine will be a great first car.
Good luck and enjoy the hunt.

Dingah

Thank you for that. I've been looking at the S Line trim from 2018. Especially with the ULEZ charge coming into force in London from next year.

This is really A4 B9 thread for reviews only, you might get a better response if you posted your questions within the main B9 thread...

This is really A4 B9 thread for reviews only, you might get a better response if you posted your questions within the main B9 thread...
Cheers. I already received an answer from someone on this forum via a pm.