B9 heated wing mirror not heating

Spearo

Reaction score
So with the first cold weather of the year I’ve realised that my wing mirrors aren’t demising / de icing.
Now I’ve read a few things about corrosion on contacts and some more about degraded heating elements!
I’d like to check those so does anyone have a how to or guide to b9 wing glass removal.
My other option is to look for a blown fuse - it seems strange that both don’t work .... can anyone advise where I might find the relevant fuse ???
Thanks in advance

Don’t think there is a fuse slot in the compartment for heated mirrors, I think it’s controlled by the door module, might be wrong on this.

the mirrors come off like pretty much every other car, pry it off and try not to snap it. Have a look on YouTube for a generic Audi wing mirror removal

Do both of Your heated mirrors stopped working at the same time? Any faults showing up on VCDS/OBD11?

Audi A4 B9 3.0 TDi quattro 200 kw

I can’t say they both stopped working at the same time but yesterday was the first time I tried to use them since last winter ..... neither were working.
I don’t have a fault code reader at the minute- I broke mine in the summer (by driving over it) ! Maybe I’ll buy myself a new one ! Any recommendations?

I really hoped that there was a nicer way to get the mirror off - I just know that I’ll end up breaking the glass !

@Spearo if you're really worried about getting the mirror off, then you can get some strong glass suckers to do it, that's the "official" way of achieving it.

Just realised neither of mine are working. Took the mirrors out, checked the contacts, all seems fine. Did you find the cause of the failure?

Nope - checked the circuits and power to the mirrors and all is good there ! Can’t find a fuse that blown either .....

I don’t have a fault code reader yet so can’t pull any stored faults ! Will post up if I find a resolution to this - I’m wondering if the switchgear in the drivers door that at fault - I had the drivers door card off in the summer to cure some rattles - it might have to come off again

So noticed this morning that the heated mirrors are being shown as on under the efficiency screen, never noticed that before, still nothing happening though. If the power is getting to them, presumably the heat pad/element bonded to the back of the glass could be burnt out? Does that mean new mirrors?

Scrap that. Think I'll take them off again and wire them up to a battery and see if they warm up first. Take it from there...

Last edited:
Heating element in mirror glass is quite a normal thing to break, I've had that in 3 Audis (B5, B6, 8P) in my family - just recently in my wife's A3 8P we had fault:
00943 - Heated outside mirror, driver side Electrical error in circuit
Intermittent

Turned on mirror heating, sure enough the driver side mirror wasn't heating - bought an Alkar mirror glass - fixed!

Audi A4 B9 3.0 TDi quattro 200 kw

Fixed!!!!
Fortunately the easiest fix ever ! Mirrors proved to be a doddle - popped right out using fingers from outside edge- was worried given the temperature today and the peril of brittle plastic however I needn’t have.
The multimeter immediately showed 12.67v to the mirrors so all good there ! A simple wiggle of the contacts at the back of the mirrors had them warming in my hand - Happy days !
Closer inspection showed that the female spade end terminals were quite corroded but with temps around freezing and the connectors being Very tight I didn’t force the issue - you could see the film backing where it meets the mirror flex when the connector was wiggled !
Anyway a wiggle was enough and I have functioning heated mirrors again !
I’ll look at them again and clean them up when it isn’t freezing

Reactions: smccran
Oh happy days! I'll give that a go too and see how I get on. Might replace the female spade connectors if it comes down to it.

Fixed!!!!
Fortunately the easiest fix ever ! Mirrors proved to be a doddle - popped right out using fingers from outside edge- was worried given the temperature today and the peril of brittle plastic however I needn’t have.
The multimeter immediately showed 12.67v to the mirrors so all good there ! A simple wiggle of the contacts at the back of the mirrors had them warming in my hand - Happy days !
Closer inspection showed that the female spade end terminals were quite corroded but with temps around freezing and the connectors being Very tight I didn’t force the issue - you could see the film backing where it meets the mirror flex when the connector was wiggled !
Anyway a wiggle was enough and I have functioning heated mirrors again !
I’ll look at them again and clean them up when it isn’t freezing
Good spot! .. just in time for those cold morns!