B9 MMI low to MMI high retrofit

Loky

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm owner of 2018 B9 A4 from Germany with decent equipment and nice interior. But still missing few functionalities, mainly any sat-nav because I hate to have my phone on the dashboard. I probably don't need the full Audi navigation, but will be happy just with carplay. Sadly now, in my car is only the absolutly basic unit without posibility to retrofit the carplay and with small screen.
I found a seller in Czech republic with complete kit for a decent price, navigation will be activate to VIN, same as carplay. They ensure me that all cables can stay on place, except the Smartphone interface where I have to swap cables.

My questions is, if I'm missing something.
I have only basic steering wheel with basic buttons, only the monochromatic screen in the dashboard, will it be ok? Will the Audi connect still working after update? And main point, will I have to code something? Nav. will be activated, but not adapted so I thing I will need to set it somehow?

ps. I have OBD2, so can do something and I know that it will be much more reasonable to buy Carplay box or RSNAV bud I would like to stay OEM.

Thank you fro your time!

Hello all,

I'm owner of 2018 B9 A4 from Germany with decent equipment and nice interior. But still missing few functionalities, mainly any sat-nav because I hate to have my phone on the dashboard. I probably don't need the full Audi navigation, but will be happy just with carplay. Sadly now, in my car is only the absolutly basic unit without posibility to retrofit the carplay and with small screen.
I found a seller in Czech republic with complete kit for a decent price, navigation will be activate to VIN, same as carplay. They ensure me that all cables can stay on place, except the Smartphone interface where I have to swap cables.

My questions is, if I'm missing something.
I have only basic steering wheel with basic buttons, only the monochromatic screen in the dashboard, will it be ok? Will the Audi connect still working after update? And main point, will I have to code something? Nav. will be activated, but not adapted so I thing I will need to set it somehow?

ps. I have OBD2, so can do something and I know that it will be much more reasonable to buy Carplay box or RSNAV bud I would like to stay OEM.

Thank you fro your time!
Hey, which version is your current MMI? You can get it by holding NAV+MEDIA from the main menu screen for about 5 seconds and then go under Version. If its MHS2 or MHI2, then carplay is supported and can be retrofitted.
To answer your other questions:
Audi Connect will work if the Component Protection (CP) is removed via ODIS Service (online access). Yes there might be things you need to code. This is not a plug&play job and you will require either VCP or ODIS most likely.

Thank you for your response. I will check the version, but as per information from the service, I do miss the connector from the back side of the unit to connect USB unit in the arm rest.
Regarding the coding. Seller told me, that they are able to remove the component protection to specific VIN and then I need only VCDS or OBD to code the car equipment, which is were I struggle as I have now idea what and where (do have OBD11 pro).

Thank you for your response. I will check the version, but as per information from the service, I do miss the connector from the back side of the unit to connect USB unit in the arm rest.
Regarding the coding. Seller told me, that they are able to remove the component protection to specific VIN and then I need only VCDS or OBD to code the car equipment, which is were I struggle as I have now idea what and where (do have OBD11 pro).
Once you check for the version also give me the hw part number that can be seen via OBD11 in the 5F unit under "INFO".
Also i do not understand how they will solve component protection without your car connected. This absolutely needs to be done else Audi Connect will not work. Maybe get in writing from them if they can guarantee:
- no "Component protection active" fault in 5F module if checked by a diagnostic tool
- Audi Connect service working as it should
Also ask them for the coding procedure, there is no guide sadly, you'd have to compare coding and adaptations of 2 similar equipped vehicles but corresponding MMI systems.

Thank you for the comment. I really have no idea how they do i, it was my first question to be honest. It is a kit of new unit (8W0035036) new buttons and new screen and they old me that the unit will come pre-activated for my car based on vin.
Sadly I don’t have nav button and can’t find a way to get into a green menu, but sw/hw number is 8W0035824C, version number is 840 for sw and hw one is 721.

Thank you for the comment. I really have no idea how they do i, it was my first question to be honest. It is a kit of new unit (8W0035036) new buttons and new screen and they old me that the unit will come pre-activated for my car based on vin.
Sadly I don’t have nav button and can’t find a way to get into a green menu, but sw/hw number is 8W0035824C, version number is 840 for sw and hw one is 721.
Yeah i can confirm by the part number that you have the basic of the basics unit with one SD card slot (MST2). Without changing the dashboard cluster you can only retrofit the next small unit(MHS2) which isnt the high/plus(MHI2) version. You're looking at 8W0 035 193A or something alike. It will support Carplay/AndroidAuto and Audi navigation via inserted SD card.

Yes, but mi idea was to change it to something better if I have to go through the pain... so I find the set with control button, screen and unit (link, it is in Czech) for reasonable price (cca 1500usd) and trying to figure out how to make a swap. Vendor told that screen and buttons is just plug'n'play and the unit will be activated, so I have to just find out how to code the equipment. If you have any idea or tips, please feel free to help me :D I will keep the thread posted.

Yes, but mi idea was to change it to something better if I have to go through the pain... so I find the set with control button, screen and unit (link, it is in Czech) for reasonable price (cca 1500usd) and trying to figure out how to make a swap. Vendor told that screen and buttons is just plug'n'play and the unit will be activated, so I have to just find out how to code the equipment. If you have any idea or tips, please feel free to help me :D I will keep the thread posted.
Ah so you are switching the whole set, thats good. You might need to change steering wheel buttons too (plug n play). I can refer you to someone who can do the coding and explain anything else you might need to know about this, he's done it before i think (PM sent). He can do it remotely but you might need to buy an adapter (about 70€) so he can access your car. I do not know the coding steps and sadly they arent publicly available.

Yeah i can confirm by the part number that you have the basic of the basics unit with one SD card slot (MST2). Without changing the dashboard cluster you can only retrofit the next small unit(MHS2) which isnt the high/plus(MHI2) version. You're looking at 8W0 035 193A or something alike. It will support Carplay/AndroidAuto and Audi navigation via inserted SD card.
I have mmi radio plus with one SD slot but with audi connect enabled. Tell me please, what is the minimum requirements in my case to enable Carplay? Should i change screen and panel after MMI upgrade to Connectivity pack or MMI Navigation? Or setup chinese android and forget everything

I have mmi radio plus with one SD slot but with audi connect enabled. Tell me please, what is the minimum requirements in my case to enable Carplay? Should i change screen and panel after MMI upgrade to Connectivity pack or MMI Navigation? Or setup chinese android and forget everything
Change to the MHS2 MMI unit with 2 SD slots and replace USB under armrest from Charge Only to double USB slots (not needed if you already have non charge only USB slot). Else get a chinese box from aliexpress.
Screen replacement only required if you would go to the MIB2 High (MHI2) with the bigger screen. Then you need new MMI controls too.
Cheapest bet is a used MHS2 unit but you need coding tools to transfer coding and remove CP.
Simplest bet is aliexpress.

Hello all,
I came back with an update after a while.
A job change delayed me a bit, but I finally got a successful MMI replacement on my 2018 Audi A4 b9.
I switched from MMI low (MMI radio plus) to MMI High with SIM and DAB. As well as the unit I also replaced the USB in the armrest, replaced the screen with a larger one and added DAB, GPS and LTE antennas.

How it worked:
I was surprised at how easily, the biggest complication was a stripped screw in the glowebox and finding the correct dash cap for the new MMI screen.

A few interesting facts (at lease for beginner like me):
  • There's a cable-ready gap between the USB and the MMi unit, no need to remove the armrest.
  • Most of the cables for USB (+,-,backlight) can be taken from the rear 12v socket
  • I also changed the MMI controls, the whole section with the shifter and cup holders can be taken out and is nice to work with, however it took me 20 minutes to figure out how to disassemble it (the whole underside of the board has to be popped out) to get the MMI controls out.
  • DAB, MMI control, screen, carplay, everything works plug'n'play
  • The unit was reconditioned from a wrecked Audi a5, it worked right from plugging it in, however long coding and Adaptation had to be adjusted, just OBD11 and screenshots of the original unit were enough to do it.
  • The cable between the MMI and the screen has different locks on the side of the screen depending on the size, but it doesn't need to be changed, just adjust the locks with a knife (Audi service technician recommendation, new one costs $300)
  • Even on my monochrome DIS screen, I can play navigation directions or compass
  • I managed to disassemble most of the interior and not take a single photo...

In general the modification took one afternoon, went with common tools (a long screwdriver is needed to replace the screen) and I didn't encounter anything unexpected or tricky. If anyone has a question, just ask, I'll be happy to advise.
For me I can 100% recommend the change, the car looks much better and I don't see how I could have been without it.

I would like to ask a few questions though, as not everything is working to my liking.

1. While for DAB radio you can just buy a Fakra antenna and hide it in the dash (it works and doesn't throw an error), for LTE it is not so, is there any option to at least get rid of the error header about GSM antennas (GSM 1 and GSM 2 short circuit)? I bought two ordinary Fakra antennas, connected them with Fakra combiner and they don't work...
  2. I bought GPS antennas for the navigation and put it on the dash, it doesn't work all bad, but it's not perfect (sometimes the nav shows I'm driving next to the road etc.) Then I thought to take out the overhead light above the rear seats and found that my roof fin has a blue connector, hence the GPS, it goes to the left side (driver's side) from the antenna, I couldn't find the cable further away. I would very much like to make use of this antenna rather than have a box on the dash, but I don't know where it goes, there was no navigation in the car (or preparation) and I can't think of anything else that would consume the GPS (Audi Connect unit under the rear seats has a double pink connector, which should be gsm), does anyone have any idea where the cable might go, or where the antenna connectors to the MMI unit normally go?

Thank and best regards!

Reactions: matthew999