B9 RS4 Avant Keyless Entry Query

rapport25

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Not a fan of keyless entry due to the thieving scum bags out there ☹

How do you protect yours?

Rappy.

Reactions: Chris518
You can turn off keyless entry from the MMI. Still locks with a touch of door handle just won't open without key press.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: rapport25 and Chris518
I had an ghost immobiliser system fitted as an extra precaution and was given a Faraday bag for the key . Checked on ebay and these bags are going for £33 so feel safe that it won't release any signal .
Chris

Reactions: rapport25
Our local 'Officer Dibble' was handing out the Faraday bags for free (we had two) - I've tried my mobile in it and it defo works. The RS4's keys live in it. I didn't think for a moment that they would be £33.

I'll be joining the Ghost club in January when Ghost II comes out with Android compatibility.

Reactions: Chris518 and rapport25
I have heard glowing reports about the Ghost, but a few things concern me.

If my house was to get broken into & they couldn't start the car. Not sure I would like the thought of them coming back in & threatening/ hurting my family for the code. I would sooner they take the car.

I have heard that the hitech thiefs can bypass the Ghost via the OBD. This is from a friend that has a few expensive cars & is very OCD about security.

Rappy

Our local 'Officer Dibble' was handing out the Faraday bags for free (we had two) - I've tried my mobile in it and it defo works. The RS4's keys live in it. I didn't think for a moment that they would be £33.

I'll be joining the Ghost club in January when Ghost II comes out with Android compatibility.
You don't need the bags though as auto open doors can be disabled at least in the B9.

TX.

The best defence is to keep the desirable object out of public gaze, Ghost is just for those times when one is out and hoping to find the car in the same place you left it.

My RS lives in the garage with an electric radiator on a time switch for company....ahhhh! Actually the heating is there to help with moisture levels rather than keeping the beast comfy..:thumbs up:

Reactions: Terminator x, Chris518 and rapport25
You don't need the bags though as auto open doors can be disabled at least in the B9.

TX.

I was under the impression that these sniffer programs that crims are using could interrogate the keys for the frequency of the remote door locks and the engine ECU transponder data key. Ghost prevents the car being started - even if the crim has obtained the vehicle key.

Reactions: Goner and Chris518
In the past, I have had trackers & various security. Toad, Clifford, Cobra etc...

Even with hitech security, I have been the victim of theft twice.

First car was seen being towed away, which had a tracker. Cobra & Clifford installed. Car was never recovered.

Second car was recovered, but was a write off due to the damage the joy riders had caused.

My friend has gone back to mechanical steering locks.

Rappy.

I was under the impression that these sniffer programs that crims are using could interrogate the keys for the frequency of the remote door locks and the engine ECU transponder data key. Ghost prevents the car being started - even if the crim has obtained the vehicle key.

Only if keyless is enabled. That is my understanding.

Rappy

Not necessarily so . My ghost system actually let's the engine start but it locks the gearbox so unless the specific code is entered no gears can be selected. We all do what we do to protect our pride and joy but there is that nagging thought "have I done enough, what else can I do ". A few of us probably watched that tv programme about keyless car theft and I know it affected me when the BMW owner broke down in tears when he said because of the car he chose to drive put his family at risk. Sometimes I think just get rid buy something run of the mill , but no why should we
Chris

Reactions: rapport25 and cosmicblue
So in Rappy's scenario the crims could still tow that car away but would likely struggle to monetize their theft as a viable whole vehicle - breaking it up for spares would probably be their only option.

To be honest cosmic I persume that car theft for parts is the majority where some are just shipped out whole.
Chris

Doors won't open with a signal, needs a key press to open them.

TX.

This is correct but by disabling keyless entry on the MMI, even if they have the code using a repeater the car will ignore it and won't open unless the unlock button on the key is pressed.

Personally I use the faraday pouches. I like the keyless entry feature so have just gotten into the habit of putting my key in the pouch when I get home.

Reactions: NevMan
I did read a while back that Audi were considering enhancing the key security so that the keys and vehicle knew of multiple potential unlock codes and never use the same code consecutively, it had to be that way because there are two keys in existence. Sounds like they have implemented it now. Thanks guys.

I did read a while back that Audi were considering enhancing the key security so that the keys and vehicle knew of multiple potential unlock codes and never use the same code consecutively, it had to be that way because there are two keys in existence. Sounds like they have implemented it now. Thanks guys.

This has been the case for all cars that are unlocked with a fob for over a decade.

This has been the case for all cars that are unlocked with a fob for over a decade.
The keyless keys broadcast a signal 24/7 though which is why crooks can grab it. Is that signal always changing or is it static? As I say mine is turned off on the MMI.

TX.

The keyless keys broadcast a signal 24/7 though which is why crooks can grab it. Is that signal always changing or is it static? As I say mine is turned off on the MMI.

TX.

I believe that every time a data transaction between the key and the car takes place (i.e. unlock/lock/window open/boot open) a new random key-code is selected for use the next time. This stops someone grabbing the code and then using it again later but it doesnt stop a signal repeater forwarding the signal to the car from further away (which is the main problem at the moment obviously).

Last edited:
I have to weigh in my bit.
Here in the USA... fewer Audi's are stolen. Maybe because of there being less models available? Maybe our car thiefs are not as smart. Who knows. Why not fit a kill switch for the fuel pump or something? Make the car not start with even the proper key. Ive been doing this for years and have yet to have my cars stolen. Killswitch on either the ignition, fuel pump or ecu. Integrated Into the factory buttons. The theif would have to know it has one and start pushing buttons to guess if that's the problem.
Then you need a GPS tracker, or a spare phone to add to your plan and hide it in the vehicles body panels. Do the "find my phone" thing and you might be able to recover it.

And I've never heard of a faraday pouch. What all models would need one of these to protect the signal?

Vinny

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Hi vinny
Faraday bags are used to stop the signal from the key being emitted. They come in different sizes and are used by Governments, Military etc to protect data. They are quite effective as they can even block mobile phone sigals. Here in the UK thieves can purchase the equipment off the the Internet to steal the cars outside your house in a matter of seconds.
Chris

There are two things the manufactures can do to prevent car theft, because it doesn't need to have keyless entry to scan for the codes, any car with keyless start can be taken. Although I feel that some of the media are rather over the top about this and I have had keyless since 2008 and not one car has been taken
One is to stop the keys from transmitting the codes continuously or by having some other form of access and starting. I believe Hyundai are working on biometric or fingerprint recognition, which could easily be built into locks and start buttons. Of course those systems would need a 'valet' type overide, but it could all be done. There are already aftermarket devices http://www.automobile-security.com/
However if someone wants your car they will use any method they can but at least we're not at the levels when only a 50p screwdriver could be used to take it...